saving pictures in win xp?

FrugalGuy

Jan 3, 2002
I know this has been a problem with windows but I'm sure there should be a fix by now. I still can't save pictues in jpg or gif formats when i save pictures. It forces me to save as a bmp file. I'm running win xp pro with all the latest security patches. Thanks for any help

phonemonkey

Feb 2, 2003
What program are you using when you save them? MS Paint has the ability to save as *.jpg, and I can't think of the other program that comes with XP (been up wayy too long today).

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
It all depends on what programs you are running. Gif at least (and maybe jpg) is patented and costs a small fortune to legally save in a program. Thus many times companies choose to save the money and not include them. I'm confused though with your exact question. In Win XP, Microsoft finally paid the price and even in paint there is the option to save as a gif (although with limited options).

FrugalGuy

Jan 3, 2002
I ususally save a picture by rightclicking and click "save picture as" However I don't get to choose the picture format. I'm using explorer.

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: FrugalGuy
I ususally save a picture by rightclicking and click "save picture as" However I don't get to choose the picture format. I'm using explorer.

As was already posted, clear your cache and restart internet explorer.

MAME

Banned
Sep 19, 2003
Yeah, I've had that issue too. I didn't worry about it though since I reinstalled xp. However, now my computer runs SUPER slow (boot time and all) thanks to XP's patches. I think I'm going to just uninstall them all :|:|