Savannah, GA Police restrain man to chair & tase his groin. He Dies later.

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
Graphic video obtained by NBC News shows sheriff's deputies tasing a mentally ill Georgia man in the groin while he was restrained in a chair.

Two Georgia sheriff's deputies and a health care worker are currently being tried for involuntary manslaughter in connection with the death of 22-year-old Matthew Ajibade, who died after being taken into police custody on New Year's Day.

A Chatham County grand jury also charged Jason Kenny, the deputy who used the taser, with aggravated assault and cruelty to an inmate. Defendants Cpl. Maxine Evans and Gregory Brown, a nurse at the Chatham County jail, were also charged with reckless conduct for failing to monitor Ajibade's status.

Ajibade, 22, was handcuffed to a restraint chair in an isolation cell after he allegedly hit his girlfriend and broke a deputy's nose while in the midst of what his family described as a bipolar episode. Officers also placed a spit mask over his mouth. He was found dead in the chair, still wearing the spit mask, in the early morning hours of January 2.

Nine deputies who were on duty were fired in May, including Kenny and Evans. In June, the coroner ruled Ajibade's death a homicide, citing abrasions, scrapes and bumps on his upper body and head.

The minute-long video, which was shown in court Friday, comes from a camera attached to the taser. It shows Ajibade in the restraint chair, and a red dot on his thigh and groin area where the taser is pointed. The red dot stops in the groin area as the camera comes closer to Ajibade. He is heard screaming after the discharge of the stun gun against his flesh.

It makes me absolutely sick to my stomach that there is a video of these cops tasing the guy...and that they are lying about what took place saying that they tased him because he was resisting. His arms were cuffed to the chair and there appears to be blood on his shirt and an office is holding his head up....why would it be necessary to tase someone when they are restrained this way?

He is later found still cuffed to the same chair in this video with a spit mask over his face...dead.

Ajibade's death was ruled a homicide but we will see if these cops get away with it.

Video in the Source link.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 1999
For restraining, beating, torturing, and killing someone they're being tried for involuntary manslaughter. Even if they're convicted they're getting away with it.

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
For restraining, beating, torturing, and killing someone they're being tried for involuntary manslaughter. Even if they're convicted they're getting away with it.

True. I don't understand why they weren't charged with something else. They abused this guy.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
wow..so at most they might get a slap on the wrist. fuck they should be doing life.

Attic

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2010
Centralized control has its perks. Though this case is severely graphic, the government screws most of us over in plenty of ways.

Selective application of the law for those with power vs those without it ensures abuses like this case and worse. Equal application of justice solves these issues, but it would castrate the out of control raping government from having it's free reign to do as it pleases.

We all know what should be done here to those responsible. The real issue is why will it not be done, and why hasn't it been done in previous similar cases.

Comes back as always to the world as we'd like to be (believe it to be), vs the world as it is.

Last edited:

GarfieldtheCat

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2005
SO how many bad apples are we up to yet? When will we hit a point that people as a whole do something about police abuse instead of denying it is a problem like the police apologists keep saying?

Spungo

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2012
"The minute-long video, which was shown in court Friday, comes from a camera attached to the taser."

That's very interesting. I like the idea of having cameras on and around law enforcement officers. It would reduce instances of police abuse as well as reducing instances of false accusations of police abuse. Cameras don't lie.

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
Seems like the department did the right thing here. Cleaned house and the sadists are being charged. I'd like to see stiffer charges. I'd think the heinousness of the crime will elevate the sentence if they are found guilty. Shameful that the people employed to protect us would torture us.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
See, we don't need gun control because we should just deal with the mentally ill.

by tasing them in the balls until they die.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
"The minute-long video, which was shown in court Friday, comes from a camera attached to the taser."

That's very interesting. I like the idea of having cameras on and around law enforcement officers. It would reduce instances of police abuse as well as reducing instances of false accusations of police abuse. Cameras don't lie.
Though they can sometimes disappear mysteriously. I guess they didn't think this one through that far.

Not that it made a difference anyway.
At least those fine officers valiantly defended themselves against someone who was not able to harm them.

Last edited:

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Wtf...

I have zero faith in the justice system when it comes to shit like this. How do they acquit them of this?

I hope the family sues the shit out of the state of Georgia.

Because cops are given special privileges because citizens usually hold them in high regard. It's why, in general, people don't hold the police to higher standards or require them to be better than the people they are policing. It's why a corrupt cop doesn't ruin a precinct, low expectations and zero inspection by the citizens. It's why good cops don't bother reporting bad cops, there's no one who will listen let alone do anything about it.

It's only recently that this sort of privilege has come to light, it's only recently that people have been able to see what's going on.

The question is, with this new information, will things change?

The scary and sad part? Black people have been dealing with this for decades! Could you even imagine what your view of the police would be if you had to deal with this kind of stuff frequently? No wonder black people kill their own, they don't have a place to go to for justice!

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
I maybe should have moved to Savannah 5 years ago, I had one hell of a job offer at the time.

Oh well.

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
Unfortunately we don't have a justice system, we have a Just Us system.

Fixed

Just-us.jpg

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
No way, a jury in Georgia acquitted cops of murdering a black person!?

Hope something bad happens to those pigs and their families, they will have deserved it.

Bigot

Irrational suspicion or hatred of a particular group, race, or religion:

Yep, I think it fits. Funny how you want to use the word 'pigs' when other derogatory words about other groups of people is not accepted. Stay classy. The fact that you want something bad to happen to someones families who were not involved in anything, speakings volumes about what type of person you are. I don't normally respond or even reads your trolling posts, because there is never any logic, just blind hatred and ignorance.

Oct 16, 1999
His word are far less egregious than the topic of the thread. Anyone stopping in just to call them out and not the actual thread subject doesn't have much credibility either.