Saturated connection?

morpheus305

Jan 31, 2010
Recently I switched from twc to a local isp that is offering fiber-to-the-home. My connection went from 30/5 to 100/20. I had a dlink 4500 router and what i noticed now is everytime i download anything that uses 100 percent of my download that it basically shuts down everything else on my network. I can't view any websites. I start losing connection to the irc servers I'm connected too. I will even lose connection to skype sometimes. On the dlink 4500 i had QoS setup to help with this but it didn't seem to help at all. I thought something was wrong with the router so I bought a new asus RT-N66U router. I tried with and without QoS setup on the new router and still the same thing happened.

Last night I did a test by moving some large files from one wired pc to another wired pc over the network. It was using 120 MB/s but it didn't affect my ability to view websites and i didn't lose connection to anything during this time. Two extra things to be noted is that when this problem will happen to pc on the network. Last thing is that this never happened with my twc connection even when it got completely saturated.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
With the new router, does these issue happen when you are downloading on other computers or just the one?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
When you say "download", do you really mean "bittorrent"? That's a bit different, and much harder on the network and especially the router, than just an HTTP or FTP download.

I'm just thinking, that with your additional bandwidth, attempting to torrent, might be making more connections than before, and if your connection tables on the router run out of slots, you will start to see lost TCP and UDP connections happen, which would cause what you are seeing.

I would invest in an AC router, with more RAM, IF that is the cause. (Or build a separate pfSense box, if you're heavily into torrenting, and have the money or means to set up another smaller box to be your router. Or get a NAS with bittorrent support. I can verify that the Lenovo ix2-DL does support that. Most modern NAS units do, I would expect.)

Last edited:

morpheus305

Jan 31, 2010
No torrenting at all on any machines. Yes, this happens on the new router on all computers. This happens even when i was downloading arkham knight on steam a few days ago.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
Assuming that you do not do Double NAT/ I.e, your ISP provides a Router and you using your own Router thereafter.

There is also possible factor like this.

There is also a factor called the ISP.

The general demand for Bandwidth Grew in folds with time. The infrastructure (like all other infrastructure in the USA) is Not growing in Tandem.

So IPs use different Algorithms for throttling Re-Routing etc. to compensate and maintain their High Revenue.

Those manipulation do Not kick in when One is involved in simple Browsing tasks. They do kick in when downloading and streaming.

:cool: