SATA to MOLEX power connector

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
This could go in several places, but I think this might be the best forum for it.

I need to use an older hot-swap hard drive chassis that has a 4 pin Molex power connector in a computer that only has SATA power connectors. I've found plenty of adapters that will make a new SATA drive work in an older computer that doesn't have SATA power (like this one) but I haven't been able to find one that will let an older drive work in a newer computer. I searched with every variation of terms that I can think of but haven't come up with anything yet. I suppose I can just chop up some cables and make one but I'd really prefer not to do that if I don't have to.

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
That would work if I decide to make a cable, but I'd still have to cut a SATA cable and figure out the right wiring for the Molex connector. It's definitely an option if I can't find something pre-made that will work.

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
I walked a way for a bit and realized that I was searching for a "cable" when I need an "adapter". Changed my search terms appropriately and came up with this little beauty. I really would rather have a cable like the one in my first post for flexibility in the installation, but I think this one will work nicely unless someone knows of a source for an adapter cable similar to the one in my first post but with the connections reversed..

imagoon

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2003
That would work if I decide to make a cable, but I'd still have to cut a SATA cable and figure out the right wiring for the Molex connector. It's definitely an option if I can't find something pre-made that will work.

You don't cut the cable, you just press the wires in and latch the back. It has blades that pierce the insulation. Sata connectors have the +12 +5 and dual grounds that a molex has in it. Just leave the the +3.3 bypassing it.

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
Yep, those will work, thanks.

imagoon, I'd have to cut an existing SATA power cable to get the wire ends that would be punched into that connector. Not a big deal, I just prefer not to do it for something that's going in a server that doesn't belong to me.

imagoon

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2003
Yep, those will work, thanks.

imagoon, I'd have to cut an existing SATA power cable to get the wire ends that would be punched into that connector. Not a big deal, I just prefer not to do it for something that's going in a server that doesn't belong to me.

No. You wouldn't. The wires pass through.

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
I guess I should clarify that I'm not arguing with you. The connector would work just fine, but I would have to cut another extension cable to make it work because I'm not willing to even poke holes in the power cables of a server that doesn't belong to me. I'd definitely do it if it was mine, but it's not. I do appreciate the suggestion as it's a cleaner solution than an extra extension if I ever need one in my own systems. :)

imagoon

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2003
I guess I should clarify that I'm not arguing with you. The connector would work just fine, but I would have to cut another extension cable to make it work because I'm not willing to even poke holes in the power cables of a server that doesn't belong to me. I'd definitely do it if it was mine, but it's not. I do appreciate the suggestion as it's a cleaner solution than an extra extension if I ever need one in my own systems. :)

Now that makes sense lol. I get not wanting to cut the ends off PSU cables and sata -> molex you found might be better. I have used those little molex adapters when I had space issues however or when I had a reason to "worry" that the sata connection wouldn't stay solid using a cable version of what you showed. It came down to electrical tape or that so I went with the connector.