Sata III vs mSata vs pcie msata

boozzer

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2012
is there a noticeable difference between the 3? np8762 sager has 1 msata n 1 hybrid msata+pcie msata. I would like to know which ssd to buy. if the performance difference is justified for the price increase for the pcie msata. would appreciate any info you guys can provide.

boozzer

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2012
ok, just found out np8672 only supports m.2 ssds. the sata III connector is taken by the storage drive. so my original question is now pointless.

can anyone recommend a m.2 ssd around 150-250$ it would be my os drive + game installs.

razel

Platinum Member
May 14, 2002
I'm a big fan of NVMe m2 SSDs and I don't recommend any m.2 SSD in general right now until the big SSD boys have it available for release. I doubt you'll find any m2 NVMe from the big boys in the price range right now.

I'd take that as good news though. The prices for regular SATA is comparatively dirt cheap. 480GB for $140-$150 I've seen 3 times now. Use a SATA SSD for now and later move up. It's not like it'll be useless by then. I'm still using my Intel SSD from 2009.

boozzer

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2012
the thing is np 8672 only supports 2 sata 3 ssds on top of each other or one 2.5 inch mech hd. it comes with 1 gb mech hd which leaves no room for any sata 3 ssds unless I take it out. so buy a 480 gb ssd sata 3 n forget about the 1gb storage? I was hoping to buy a 128gb or 256 gb m.2 or pcie m.2 ssd for an os drive, they are price at about 1$ per gb right now.

NVMe vs pcie m.2, what is the difference? I have no idea if the 8672 even supports the former.

razel

Platinum Member
May 14, 2002
I understand the confusion. I don't blame you. Are you sure about your model #? I see a np8672 no np8762. Even while I'm looking at it's specs, it's not clear what type of m2 it supports. You may need to check the manual.

Regardless m2 supports both SATA and NVMe SSDs. NVMe is NAND (SSD) on PCIe without the SATA controller. The performance difference primarily will be a little bit further reduced latency (which is what made SSD tower over HDDs), endless bandwidth (sequential speed). The bandwidth seems to be limited by how many PCIe lanes are given to it.

To make things more murkier, there is also mSATA. It looks a lot like m2. Good thing your laptop doesn't mention it at all. Or at least the np8672 doesn't.

boozzer

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2012
ahh yea, 8672, my bad. I got it right in the replies, not in the op, will edit. msata is 100% not supported as it is superseded by m.2. the older versions of the sagers do use msata though. I have decided to buy a cheapo m.2(8672 supports all 22x80 size m.2) on amazon to tie me over. NVMe ssds is coming out. I googled and found some incredible numbers. might splurge some hard earned money for something 4 times the speed of current sata III ssds. there is one that is 2.8 g/s read speed :) hope the laptop version keeps the read/write speeds. would be so worth it.

razel

Platinum Member
May 14, 2002
Don't get caught in the hype train with sequential speeds. Sequential #'s are great for transferring data, but realistically we humans do not process large amounts data off our PC per second all the time. Compared to SATA's 600 MBs when you need only 100MB/s of data and your sequential is 2800 MB/s it DOES NOT mean you'll get it 4.6 times (2800/600) faster . From the tests of a few NVMe SSDs, from the latency numbers I'm seeing you're lucky if you can get it at twice the speed. But these are early NVMe controllers. At least, the future is bright and endless.

Last edited:

boozzer

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2012
I am putting my laptop purchase on hold. I cancelled it last night. luckily it has only been 2 days and xotic takes forever just to process payment. I will wait for benchmarks and reviews.