SATA Controller Card Question

opuntia

Aug 5, 2004
My setup is below. The MB is giving me fits with my HD's (especially the WD320). I get controller errors when trying to use Window Media Center 2005. it eventually freezes my PC. I was thinking about buying a controller card and hooking them up to it and seeing if that will work.

Does anybody know if I'll have to reinstall the OS when moving the drives to the card?

I'll assume that I'll have to change some BIOS settings.

Thanks in advance

alzan

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
You could try a Repair install, and load the drivers for the controller at the F6 phase of an XP install; but my gut tells me that you'd be better off (and have a more stable setup) if you just bit the bullet and did a complete re-install.

alzan

JBT

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
A repair should be fine. I would eventually do a reinstall just incase though.

opuntia

Aug 5, 2004
Thanks for the replies. My feeling right now is if I'm going to repair XP, then I just, as alzan said above, going to bite the bullet and do a complete reinstall. However, back to one of my original questions, can I move my HD to a SATA controller card (on a PCI) without having to reinstall the OS.

opuntia

Aug 5, 2004
Since I won't have time for quite some time to do a complete reinstall, I decided to buy a SATA controller and so far it seems to have fixed my problem...interesting.