SATA cable connected to non-powered HDD caused strong vibration

nine9s

May 24, 2010
I have HDD in my case that I only hookup to make images or refresh images on it.

In the past I always left it unconnected on both the power cable and the SATA cable.

Recently when I refreshed an image, I left the SATA cable (as part of a chain that was also connected to me SSD and a HDD I do use all the time) and only undid the power connection.

I started having a strong vibration in my computer. I thought it was related to me new video card, but it showed no signs of being the source.

I finally figured out it was the non-powered HDD. As soon as I disconnected the SATA connection (again it was not powered) the vibration stopped.

Anyone know why that would be?

ALso, the drive works fine, so I do not think it caused any problems, or could it?

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Definitely strange and not quite logical. A SATA HDD has two cables - a power cable and a data cable. Are Both are SATA cables. Are you saying that the vibration occurs with only the data cable connected? If so, then the vibration is physical along the data cable. If you disconnect the data cable from the HDD, can you feel physical vibration on the cable itself? If so, the vibration is likely coming from the area that the data cable is connected to on the mobo. Is the center mobo mounting screw firmly attached with a standoff?

nine9s

May 24, 2010
If you disconnect the data cable from the HDD, can you feel physical vibration on the cable itself? If so, the vibration is likely coming from the area that the data cable is connected to on the mobo. Is the center mobo mounting screw firmly attached with a standoff?

No vibration on cable.

Yes firmly attached. And I touched the side of my motherboard, in a few places, while it was running and I feel no vibration at all (it is like it would be if not running.) So no vibration from motherboard.

The vibration was not too bad with the SATA cable connected but was noticeable. Even without the SATA nor power cable connected, I can feel a very slight vibration on that drive (but nothing like with the SATA cable was connected), and all parts of the drive-cage case module - again a very slight vibration that I assume is overall case vibration from fans.
ALso, my PSU has very little Vibration - it is so cool, its fan does not run much anyway (Corsair support told me that was by design, the fan does not work until the PSU is under moderate load.)

SO my only guess now is that it was some harmonic amplification from the cable connection?

Last edited:

birthdaymonkey

Golden Member
Oct 4, 2010
In the past I always left it unconnected on both the power cable and the SATA cable.

Recently when I refreshed an image, I left the SATA cable (as part of a chain that was also connected to me SSD and a HDD I do use all the time) and only undid the power connection.

I believe the OP is confused, as this quote demonstrates. He's leaving the SATA power cable connected - it is indeed part of a "chain", while each SATA data cable is individual.

Thus, the drive is unsurprisingly vibrating because it's spinning and has power.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
When you have all cables plugged in, and you hear whatever, hold onto the cable, does it stop the noise ?

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
Nine9s. There is no master or Slave configuration on Hard drive connectors. If you left the cable that was also plugged into the the other hard drive and SSD as you said, then you left the power cable plugged in.

With Sata the fattest connector is the Power connector. The very small connector is the data cable. You will only have two ends on that cable, 1 to the motherboard, and 1 to the drive.

That means that your hard drive is receiving power but no data signal. That means its just going to be spinning non-stop. When normally plugged in most systems will put the HDD into sleep mode after several minutes without data access. This increases the life of the drive. You have it going 24/7 at full speed right now.

nine9s

May 24, 2010
Ah yes I see. I had power to it but no data cable.

It was like that for about 2 weeks at about 12 hours a day.

Would that have harmed the HDD?

nine9s

May 24, 2010
Not unless you bumped it while it was spinning. I wouldn't worry about it.

I touched it but did not thump or bump it.

I have accessed the backup image on it since then, and I copied my latest image, on it, to another drive just now. All went well on that.

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
I touched it but did not thump or bump it.

I have accessed the backup image on it since then, and I copied my latest image, on it, to another drive just now. All went well on that.

Yeah just wanted to highlight what was happening and make sure you knew how bad of a practice it was. Not that I think you measurably lowered your drives life expectancy.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Yeah just wanted to highlight what was happening and make sure you knew how bad of a practice it was. Not that I think you measurably lowered your drives life expectancy.

"how bad of a practice it was"? To have your HDD spinning 24/7? That's the only way to fly, IMHO.

Edit: I'd rather have a Hitachi 7200RPM spinning 24/7, than a WD Green constantly parking.

nine9s

May 24, 2010
"how bad of a practice it was"? To have your HDD spinning 24/7? That's the only way to fly, IMHO.

Edit: I'd rather have a Hitachi 7200RPM spinning 24/7, than a WD Green constantly parking.

Good point. On and off, power conserving, HDDs are probably more prone to failure. Is that why a WD black gets a longer warranty?