SATA adapter on ATA drive

Password

Jun 12, 2000
I built an Intel system with an Abit P35E MB, ATA HD, and 2 IDE DVD burners that have SATA to IDE adapters so that they are connected to the SATA ports on the MB. (The adapters plug into the back of the drives.) I just purchased a Maxtor 500GB ATA HD that is still in the box and s/b a Seagate 7200.10. (I wanted a SATA HD but had a gift certificate for Staples who only had the ATA drive in the larger size.)
My question is, if I moved things around and connect the optical drives to the IDE port and put the SATA adapter on the new HD would I get a performance increase, decrease or no effect to the HD? I have no idea how these adapters affect performance.
Why do I want to do that? Because I have a habit of moving HDs in and out of my case and it would be easier to do that with SATA cables than ATA cables. TIA.

MegaVovaN

Diamond Member
May 20, 2005
I think there would be no difference in performance, whether original connection or through adapter.

Adapter is mechanical connection, isn't it? Like, it is just wires, no chip to calculate something.

jackschmittusa

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2003
MegaVovaN

No, there is a small board on the adapters.

Password

I doubt there will be any performance gain.

I would have chosen a pci ide controller card over 2 adapters.

RebateMonger

Elite Member
Dec 24, 2005
There were reliability questions about the very early IDE to SATA adapters, but I haven't heard of any issues in several years. From a practical standpoint, I doubt you'll see any difference in performance.

Jiggz

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2001
I believe performance will be just the same. But to make sure, try it anyway just to find out if the adapters will even work. If they do, the performance will be in par with an ATA hdd. If you has SATA on the mobo why didn't you insist with a SATA hdd? But that is water over the bridge now so go ahead and try it out!

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
First you should know (as jackschmittusa posted above), it is Not just an adapter it is also an electronic interface that needs its own power.

I tried some of these adapters.

It does not change the speed but they are finicky.

Some time it would work with one drive and not with the other.

If you are removing and inserting Drive, it is Not a good choice to use these adapters.

They way they are constructed and the additional Molex power connector make it a flimsy connection that better to be installed once and then be left alone.

For mobility usage, I would use the drive as PATA and for the same price get a Mobile Rack instead of an adapter.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/...ion=mobil+rack&x=0&y=0

Password

Jun 12, 2000
Jiggz asked: >>>If you has SATA on the mobo why didn't you insist with a SATA hdd?<<<
Because after a price match (that expired that day), a coupon and a gift cert., the price was too good to pass up.

JackMDS---Your post has made me think twice about the strength of connectors on the adapter. Probably not a good idea to be moving them around. The mobil rack sounds like a good alternative. Thanks.

Thank you to all who responded...except for maybe MegaVovaN. :)