SATA 4 - when will it be out?

Kippa

Dec 12, 2011
Some of the new SSDs are hitting the ceiling of SATA 3. I was wondering if and when SATA 4 will be out? To satisfy demand for performance and speed, do you think PCIe SSDs will become more common place until the likes of SATA 4 comes out?

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
Any benefit is extremely minimalistic.

As said, you only peak SATA3 speeds when transfering a movie or something equal. Its often below 100MB/sec in the majority of the time.

Also lastly, application/OS is still optimized for slow HDs in mind. And that will actually be the bottleneck for a foreseeable future I guess.

Unit'Igor

Feb 21, 2013
I would really like,that technology goes in direction of low price bootable DDR,so OS is located on board,eliminating sata connection,let say 120gb of ddr3.This is only way we can see 4k reads in 500 and more range.Storage will still be on SSD or even HDD.

Kippa

Dec 12, 2011
I would really like,that technology goes in direction of low price bootable DDR,so OS is located on board,eliminating sata connection,let say 120gb of ddr3.This is only way we can see 4k reads in 500 and more range.Storage will still be on SSD or even HDD.

I remember quite a few years ago some company built a 5.25" unit that housed standard ram and a built in battery that supplied the power to the ram whilst the computer was turned off. We are talking like 6+ years ago, possibly longer. I am not sure how long the battery lasted, and as for the cost, it was very expensive.

Unit'Igor

Feb 21, 2013
Yes,but that was through sata connection.We need something like X79 with 8 dimms that can support 128gb.Msi bigbang can support 128gb of memory(i believe every X79 can).Then we need bootable low price memory and option to make ramdisk in bios,what i think would not be a problem.
Lost data problem would be resolve with: putting sticks in dimms,then connecting them with cable like fans direct to some kind of little UPS battery which will last 5 days without electricity.I am willing to pay 300$(128gb) for that speed,but i think thats the 2025 year price.I think realistic price would be 3300$

Last edited:

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012

DDR loses data without power.

sub.mesa

Feb 16, 2010
The actual bottleneck is not throughput; Going from 600MB/s to 1000MB/s is not worth it. The real benefit is killing latency!

That is why, SATA will cease to exist. SATA Express, is not SATA. Just like PCI express is not PCI. They are rather the opposite. SATA Express actually means the whole SATA layer is being killed off, and the 'controller' is integrated directly in the storage device. This means you connect your SSD via PCI-express to your CPU instead of having a dull SATA layer in-between.

This follows the IDE philosophy in that the actual controller is located inside the storage device, as opposed to the SCSI philosophy that puts a lot of the logic on the controller level with 'dumber' storage devices in effect. Of course, the IDE route has proven to be more correct. SCSI and SATA will simply cease to exist.