Sarah Palin says she wouldn't hesitate to run for the presidency in four years if it's God's will

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

QuantumPion

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
The GOP already burned the house down with Bush and McCain. No need to stomp on the ashes of conservatism with Palin ffs.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: QuantumPion
The GOP already burned the house down with Bush and McCain. No need to stomp on the ashes of conservatism with Palin ffs.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. She'll run in the primaries or something and get her ass kicked. There is a core of idiots who will support her wholeheartedly, but the rest of the Republican party is smart enough not to nominate her. (I think.) Look at them this year, they nominated a guy that most people in the party didn't like very much because he represented their best chance to win.

CitizenKain

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2000
Originally posted by: Corbett

So what you are saying is, you got nothin...got it. Looks like someone needs a history lesson on our public schools if you dont believe liberals like yourself removed Christianity from them.

It removed your ability to oppress the rights of others by forcing Christianity on them. Oh no, you couldn't force your belief on people.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: CitizenKain

So what you are saying is, you got nothin...got it. Looks like someone needs a history lesson on our public schools if you dont believe liberals like yourself removed Christianity from them.

It removed your ability to oppress the rights of others by forcing Christianity on them. Oh no, you couldn't force your belief on people.

The christian ultra right in this country inserts an interesting paradox into our system of government. I mean our whole idea is (loosely) based on the premise that you should be able to do what you want so long as it isn't interfering with anyone else's life, liberty, or happiness.

The problem with the christian ultra right is that they appear to derive their happiness from depriving other people of theirs. How do we reconcile this?

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Hopefully she'll come to the realization that there is no god before then. But I don't think she's that smart.

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Originally posted by: eskimospy

The christian ultra right in this country inserts an interesting paradox into our system of government. I mean our whole idea is (loosely) based on the premise that you should be able to do what you want so long as it isn't interfering with anyone else's life, liberty, or happiness.

The problem with the christian ultra right is that they appear to derive their happiness from depriving other people of theirs. How do we reconcile this?

I didn't realize allowing students to pray in schools was "forcing" Christianity on others.

In any case, I always love when liberals like eskimospy call someone part of the "ultra right". Of course, they ignore the fact that they are so far to the left that even Arnold Schwarzeneger (sp?) would be considered "ultra right".

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
One last word:

http://andrewsullivan.theatlan...1/why-palin-still.html

Some readers think my continuing attempt to expose all the lies and flim-flam and bizarre behavior of Sarah Palin is now moot. She's history - they argue. Move on. I think she probably is history. Even Bill Kristol and his minions in the McCain-Palin campaign may not be able to resuscitate her political viability now. But even if she is history, she is history that matters.

Let's be real in a way the national media seems incapable of: this person should never have been placed on a national ticket in a mature democracy. She was incapable of running a town in Alaska competently. The impulsive, unvetted selection of a total unknown, with no knowledge of or interest in the wider world, as a replacement president remains one of the most disturbing events in modern American history. That the press felt required to maintain a facade of normalcy for two months - and not to declare the whole thing a farce from start to finish - is a sign of their total loss of nerve. That the Palin absurdity should follow the two-term presidency of another individual utterly out of his depth in national government is particularly troubling. 46 percent of Americans voted for the possibility of this blank slate as president because she somehow echoed their own sense of religious or cultural "identity". Until we figure out how this happened, we will not be able to prevent it from happening again. And we have to find a way to prevent this from recurring.

It happened because John McCain is an incompetent and a cynic and reckless beyond measure. To have picked someone he'd only met once before, without any serious vetting procedure, revealed McCain as an utterly unserious character, a man whose devotion to the shallowest form of political gamesmanship trumped concern for his country's or his party's interest. We need a full accounting of the vetting process: who was responsible for this act of political malpractice? How could a veep not be vetted in any serious way? Why was she not asked to withdraw as soon as the facts of her massive ignorance and delusional psyche were revealed?

The Palin nightmare also happened because a tiny faction of political professionals has far too much sway in the GOP and conservative circles. This was Bill Kristol's achievement.

It was a final product of the now-exhausted strategy of fomenting fundamentalist resentment to elect politicians dedicated to the defense of Israel and the extension of American military hegemony in every corner of the globe. Palin was the reductio ad absurdum of this mindset: a mannequin candidate, easily controlled ideologically, deployed to fool and corral the resentful and the frightened, removed from serious scrutiny and sold on propaganda networks like a food product.

This deluded and delusional woman still doesn't understand what happened to her; still has no self-awareness; and has never been forced to accept her obvious limitations. She cannot keep even the most trivial story straight; she repeats untruths with a ferocity and calm that is reserved only to the clinically unhinged; she has the educational level of a high school drop-out; and regards ignorance as some kind of achievement. It is excruciating to watch her - but more excruciating to watch those who feel obliged to defend her.

Her candidacy, in short, was indefensible. It remains indefensible. Until the mainstream media, the GOP establishment, and the conservative intelligentsia acknowledge the depth of their error, this blog will keep demanding basic accountability.

My point is not to persecute or hound some random person. I wish I had never heard of Sarah Palin. I wish this nightmare had never happened. I wish totally innocent by-standers, like Bristol Palin and Levi Johnston and Heather Bruce and Trig Palin, had not had their lives disrupted by this circus. It's distressing to everyone, which is why most journalists left many aspects of this charade alone. But Palin is claiming vindication, is on every cable show, is at the National Governors Association Conference, and is touted as a future leader of the GOP. There comes a point at which you have to simply call a time out and insist that this farce cease and some basic accountability and transparency be restored to the process. Since no one else seems willing to do so, the Dish will stay on the case. So where are those medical records anyway?

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

I didn't realize allowing students to pray in schools was "forcing" Christianity on others.

In any case, I always love when liberals like eskimospy call someone part of the "ultra right". Of course, they ignore the fact that they are so far to the left that even Arnold Schwarzeneger (sp?) would be considered "ultra right".

Eskimospy is a moderate.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

I'm not sure what country you live in, but students are allowed to pray in US schools. They do it all the time. Hell, my high school had a 'christian club'.

I know your general way of argument is to just make up stupid unsupported shit and fling it around hoping something sticks. This post is a good showcase for how that can backfire. I voted for Arnold, twice. I'd vote for him again if he were able to run. He's a pragmatic leader who is socially liberal, and his state of the state addresses sound funny.

As I've told you before, you have no understanding of what the left and right truly are. As a far right member of the US right, you are so far off the deep end of the spectrum that you have no concept of what political ideology really is. Remember that political compass thing? The people on the right were amazed at how incredibly far to the right their answers placed them, and thought it was screwed up because the American 'left' was put somewhere close to the center. You guys don't even realize that in the rest of the world you would be considered nuts.

oiprocs

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2001
Even if she did run, she would not win.

Hilary will be the first if a female wins the presidency. I don't really know any other female who has her credentials.

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Originally posted by: BurnItDwn

Eskimospy is a moderate.

Is this a joke? He didn't vote for Obama because he wanted to vote for someone who was even more liberal.

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005

I'm not sure what country you live in, but students are allowed to pray in US schools. They do it all the time. Hell, my high school had a 'christian club'.

I know your general way of argument is to just make up stupid unsupported shit and fling it around hoping something sticks. This post is a good showcase for how that can backfire. I voted for Arnold, twice. I'd vote for him again if he were able to run. He's a pragmatic leader who is socially liberal, and his state of the state addresses sound funny.

As I've told you before, you have no understanding of what the left and right truly are. As a far right member of the US right, you are so far off the deep end of the spectrum that you have no concept of what political ideology really is. Remember that political compass thing? The people on the right were amazed at how incredibly far to the right their answers placed them, and thought it was screwed up because the American 'left' was put somewhere close to the center. You guys don't even realize that in the rest of the world you would be considered nuts.

This, coming from the guy who said he didnt vote for Obama because he wanted to vote for someone even more liberal. And you consider yourself to be somewhere remotely ina position to judge left from right? And again, you are trying to take my argument and make it your own. It's not happening. Perhaps you too need to research the issue of school prayer and all the changes that have been forced on people by liberals like yourself which is the very thing Red Dawn was trying to say that conservatives do.

You, nor Red Dawn realize that we all have our own personal beliefs and whenever we vote for them, its to try to enforce them. Apparently its ok if they are liberal beliefs, but not when they are conservative ones.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

This, coming from the guy who said he didnt vote for Obama because he wanted to vote for someone even more liberal. And you consider yourself to be somewhere remotely ina position to judge left from right? And again, you are trying to take my argument and make it your own. It's not happening. Perhaps you too need to research the issue of school prayer and all the changes that have been forced on people by liberals like yourself which is the very thing Red Dawn was trying to say that conservatives do.

You, nor Red Dawn realize that we all have our own personal beliefs and whenever we vote for them, its to try to enforce them. Apparently its ok if they are liberal beliefs, but not when they are conservative ones.

Obama is not particularly liberal, he's a centrist. All this is showing is that you don't have a concept of what liberal really is because you are so ideologically extreme. This argument isn't yours, I've been making the argument that many on the fringe of the American right have lost all concept of the political spectrum for a long... long time.

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005

Obama is not particularly liberal, he's a centrist. All this is showing is that you don't have a concept of what liberal really is because you are so ideologically extreme. This argument isn't yours, I've been making the argument that many on the fringe of the American right have lost all concept of the political spectrum for a long... long time.

Tue, the platform he ran on was centrist. His record shows otherwise. Pot, meet kettle.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Tue, the platform he ran on was centrist. His record shows otherwise. Pot, meet kettle.

Pot meet kettle? That doesn't make any sense.

Secondly, again... you have no concept of what liberal (in this case meaning on the left) is. Obama is a free market capitalist.

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005

Sure it does. You are claiming Im so far to one side that I cant judge the issue properly, when you are just as bad, just on the other side.

Secondly, again... you have no concept of what liberal (in this case meaning on the left) is. Obama is a free market capitalist.

Is THAT why he wants to tax corporations and oil companies to "spread the wealth around?" I got it. Thanks

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Sure it does. You are claiming Im so far to one side that I cant judge the issue properly, when you are just as bad, just on the other side.

Is THAT why he wants to tax corporations and oil companies to "spread the wealth around?" I got it. Thanks

Well I have independent sources that seem to think my political views are relatively moderate on the world scale. I'd like to see some that say the same for you.

If you're claiming that taxing companies and being a free market capitalist are somehow incompatible I don't know what to tell you other than that once again, you're horribly and ridiculously wrong.

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005

Well I have independent sources that seem to think my political views are relatively moderate on the world scale. I'd like to see some that say the same for you.

I'd love to see them and take them myself. You want to claim I'm an "ultra right" when you are just "ultra wrong" on that fact.

If you're claiming that taxing companies and being a free market capitalist are somehow incompatible I don't know what to tell you other than that once again, you're horribly and ridiculously wrong.

I'm not claiming that. Nice try though. I'm talking about how Obama SAID he wanted to tax companies in order to "spread the wealth around". Thats not free market capitalism, thats socialism.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

I'd love to see them and take them myself. You want to claim I'm an "ultra right" when you are just "ultra wrong" on that fact.

I'm not claiming that. Nice try though. I'm talking about how Obama SAID he wanted to tax companies in order to "spread the wealth around". Thats not free market capitalism, thats socialism.

Progressive taxation and redistribution of wealth can exist within free market capitalistic economies. In fact, it exists in every single free market capitalistic economy on the planet. This should be obvious to you.

Go take the political compass, i'd be interested to see what it says.

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005

Progressive taxation and redistribution of wealth can exist within free market capitalistic economies. In fact, it exists in every single free market capitalistic economy on the planet. This should be obvious to you.

PoliticalCompass.JPG

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005

PoliticalCompass.JPG

mine

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

PoliticalCompass.JPG

Looks like you and Obama have a lot in common. Are you a socialist?

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005

PoliticalCompass.JPG

Looks like you and Obama have a lot in common. Are you a socialist?

Not at all! haha. Perhaps I answered some of the questions the way they didnt want them answered.

IE - the social questions. I don't belive gay marriage should be legal, but I also dont believe the government should tell 2 consenting adults what they can do with each other in their own home.