Sapphire R9 290 Tri-x LOUD [SOLVED - With video]

RyanRazer

Dec 30, 2014
Hey, i just bought 2nd hand GPU. I came from Sapp R9 270 and that one was quiet as a mouse in respect to this one... I read Tri-x is a very cool and quiet card. 290 series refference is a failure. Running hot at 90C at load and loud as hell. I understand this GPU can supposedly take higher temperatures but i see people saying tri-x runs at arround 70-75 under load. So it is relatively cool gpu.

However my results are different. Please take a look at the video. It's all there... This thing is a JET! I guess fans are old and loud...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmo3MdYeJXM

Now i'm thinking about alternatives. I was looking at this:
http://www.arctic.ac/eu_en/products/cooling/vga.html?gpu_no_of_fans=124

Are these any good? I'm afraid it won't keep up with card and stock cooling. People also report this card (when new and function cooling) does not throtle but keep 1000mhz even at full load. I do not want it to throttle.

Plus why are there 3 versions all capable of dissipating 300W of energy? What's the difference.

What about water blocks? http://www.ekwb.com/products/water-blocks/

What are my options?
C'mon guys, help me out. I'm afraid to play games at night for neighbors calling cops on me for noise disturbance :D
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm new to "gaming" world. I bought r9 270 6 months ago, now i decided to upgrade but ended up with this problem. :/

EDIT: OK, so here is my edit to help you, help me with advice :)

First, most of you said my problem is probably an airflow. In this particular video yes, the case is closed BUT i have my case opened (side panel where GPU is). I closed the case just to test if it's going to be bearable, but it's not. So i think with panel open airflow shouldn't be a problem, right? I have my PC behind TV so i don't care how it looks. Besides there is a window like 2 feet away and it's winter here. Even if i leave my window open and i'm freezing as cold air gets in passing my pc, same thing happens. As seen in the video my GPU runs at 80-85C. Last picture is from GPU-z. All GPU info is there.

MY PC INFO:

1. Open side panel (no extra fans, just regular 80mm back fan),
2. i7 4790
3. 8 gb ram 1600mhz,
4. ssd samsung evo 850 250GB,
5. hdd toshiba 1tb 700rpm,
6. Msi h81m-p33 mobo,
7. r9 290 tri-x (obviously)

Anything else?

Last edited:

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
Clearly your card has an issue. Exchange it for a replacement...

If you can't, then yes, that's a great cooler. Good luck on the fan replacement.
Edit: We'd also need to know your complete configuration if you're new to PC gaming. My side fan was the reason my PC was getting loud for me. I can only use a PWM fan otherwise, the resonance noise or whatever is the worst thing ever. So we need to know everything. EVERYTHING.

That's the fastest way we'll resolve your problem. Unless you just enjoy back and forth posting for 5+ pages.

Last edited:

Erithan13

Oct 25, 2015
First thing is to find out what temperature it's reaching under load, I use hwmonitor and leave it running, it will record the maximum temperature the GPU reaches, there are plenty of other tools out there to do so as well. I suspect what's happening here is you don't have enough airflow in the case to cope with the high heat output of the card, especially when coming from the 270. If the GPU is approaching 90 or 100C the cooler is supposed to go full pelt to keep the chip from frying so if this is the case putting another cooler on the card won't make any difference - the problem is moving heat from the cooler to the case, not from the GPU chip itself to the cooler.

I've got the same card and it reaches 70C under load and the fan noise is there but barely noticeable . I've got 2 120mm intake fans to provide it with fresh air and 2 120mm exhaust fans to take the heated air out. One of the problems with these coolers is they only put a small amount of the hot air straight out the case via the rear slot, most of it gets mixed up in the case so you need ample air coming in and going out to stop it from overheating.

Last edited:

Soulkeeper

Diamond Member
Nov 23, 2001
you likely need more case airflow
These things do use a lot of juice, if they start heating up the fans will spin up near full speed quickly. The best way to keep this from happening so much is with more intake/exhaust for the case. Even my lowly 7870 responds well to faster case fans.

RyanRazer

Dec 30, 2014
Clearly your card has an issue. Exchange it for a replacement...

If you can't, then yes, that's a great cooler. Good luck on the fan replacement.
Edit: We'd also need to know your complete configuration if you're new to PC gaming. My side fan was the reason my PC was getting loud for me. I can only use a PWM fan otherwise, the resonance noise or whatever is the worst thing ever. So we need to know everything. EVERYTHING.

That's the fastest way we'll resolve your problem. Unless you just enjoy back and forth posting for 5+ pages.

First thing is to find out what temperature it's reaching under load, I use hwmonitor and leave it running, it will record the maximum temperature the GPU reaches, there are plenty of other tools out there to do so as well. I suspect what's happening here is you don't have enough airflow in the case to cope with the high heat output of the card, especially when coming from the 270. If the GPU is approaching 90 or 100C the cooler is supposed to go full pelt to keep the chip from frying so if this is the case putting another cooler on the card won't make any difference - the problem is moving heat from the cooler to the case, not from the GPU chip itself to the cooler.

I've got the same card and it reaches 70C under load and the fan noise is there but barely noticeable . I've got 2 120mm intake fans to provide it with fresh air and 2 120mm exhaust fans to take the heated air out. One of the problems with these coolers is they only put a small amount of the hot air straight out the case via the rear slot, most of it gets mixed up in the case so you need ample air coming in and going out to stop it from overheating.

you likely need more case airflow
These things do use a lot of juice, if they start heating up the fans will spin up near full speed quickly. The best way to keep this from happening so much is with more intake/exhaust for the case. Even my lowly 7870 responds well to faster case fans.

Thanx all for replies. Added info in OP so next people don't have to search in comments about my specs.

RyanRazer

Dec 30, 2014
Defective. RMA it.

I'm afraid this is not possible. i'll do everything in my power but this is my last resort. I don't have warranty certificate. I bought this card over internet and guy shipped it via post. I'll call the store tomorrow and explain my situation, i do have a receipt but this probably won't work.

RyanRazer

Dec 30, 2014
I tried playing with window open and my GPU temp is good, but fans are spinning and they are loud... I really hope my GPU is fine and i'll be able to resolve this issue with colling replacement.

I really like this card. I can finally play all games at ultra settings. I only hate that noise...

.vodka

Golden Member
Dec 5, 2014
Set a custom fan curve with MSI afterburner or whatever similar software you like, 40% fan speed is enough for 70-75°C load temperatures while being practically silent (provided your case has enough airflow, this is essential). Problem solved, unless the fans are defective or vibrating too much or whatever. In that case, it's easy to fix it yourself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EomL1oysVXs

rubber like strips of material in between the fans and the frame, so they become decoupled and not able to vibrate anymore.

BTW, in your video the card is shown at 82°C load and 61% fan speed, that's not normal. I'd disassemble the card and check the thermal paste job, or if the heatsink is clogged with dust... since it's a used card, you know. The problem has to be along these lines. Both easy to fix yourself.

Last edited:

RyanRazer

Dec 30, 2014
Set a custom fan curve with MSI afterburner or whatever similar software you like, 40% fan speed is enough for 70-75°C load temperatures while being practically silent (provided your case has enough airflow, this is essential). Problem solved, unless the fans are defective or vibrating too much or whatever. In that case, it's easy to fix it yourself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EomL1oysVXs

rubber like strips of material in between the fans and the frame, so they become decoupled and not able to vibrate anymore.

BTW, in your video the card is shown at 82°C load and 61% fan speed, that's not normal. I'd disassemble the card and check the thermal paste job, or if the heatsink is clogged with dust... since it's a used card, you know. The problem has to be along these lines. Both easy to fix yourself.

Thank you. I think i'll do what you suggested. Open the card, replace thermal paste and clean the board and if that doesn't do the trick ill' buy Accelero Xtreme IV. I hope that cooling system is good enough. Someone said that it doesn't cool RAM modules good enough...

Last edited:

.vodka

Golden Member
Dec 5, 2014
No.

You do not need an aftermarket heatsink, sapphire's Tri-X is *the best* that got released in the entire R9 200 series for Hawaii cards, in noise/temperature relationship. You'd be wasting your money. It's already overkill, and the only way forward from here is a full cover waterblock (easy to get since the tri-x is a reference board with a good heatsink, at least the first edition) and a custom loop. Trust me, I have one.

Disassemble, replace thermal paste with something adequate (MX-4 for example, or whatever you're used to), give both the heatsink and the fans a good cleaning while you're at it. If you want, have a look at that video in my other post and mount the fans with something rubber-like in between to reduce unwanted vibrations at some RPMs (where the entire thing unfortunately resonates, this mitigates that problem and eliminates unwanted mechanical noise). That happens at >45-50% fan speed... but there should be no need to get that high if the entire assembly is working as it should.

The only situation in which you should get another heatsink having this particular graphics cards is if the previous owner somehow punctured the heatpipes, rendering the entire thing a magnificent doorstop/paperweight instead of a great heatsink.

RyanRazer

Dec 30, 2014
No.

You do not need an aftermarket heatsink, sapphire's Tri-X is *the best* that got released in the entire R9 200 series for Hawaii cards, in noise/temperature relationship. You'd be wasting your money. It's already overkill, and the only way forward from here is a full cover waterblock (easy to get since the tri-x is a reference board with a good heatsink, at least the first edition) and a custom loop. Trust me, I have one.

Disassemble, replace thermal paste with something adequate (MX-4 for example, or whatever you're used to), give both the heatsink and the fans a good cleaning while you're at it. If you want, have a look at that video in my other post and mount the fans with something rubber-like in between to reduce unwanted vibrations at some RPMs (where the entire thing unfortunately resonates, this mitigates that problem and eliminates unwanted mechanical noise). That happens at >45-50% fan speed... but there should be no need to get that high if the entire assembly is working as it should.

The only situation in which you should get another heatsink having this particular graphics cards is if the previous owner somehow punctured the heatpipes, rendering the entire thing a magnificent doorstop/paperweight instead of a great heatsink.

Well, i'm not used to anything as i've never done it before. This is my 2nd graphics card ever. Let alone playing with thermal paste. I'll do as you said and report back.

Headfoot

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2008
I've had 2 different Tri X's in the same room at once and its whisper quiet while keeping temperatures low, in a closed case with good airflow.

There is something wrong with your card, this is where you'd RMA it but that does not seem to be a possibility. You might be able to find a replacement Tri-X fan on eBay that someone took off when they water cooled the GPU. Alternatively, you could water cool yours (using an All in one cooler and the GPU-AIO brackets they have these days)

RyanRazer

Dec 30, 2014
I've had 2 different Tri X's in the same room at once and its whisper quiet while keeping temperatures low, in a closed case with good airflow.

There is something wrong with your card, this is where you'd RMA it but that does not seem to be a possibility. You might be able to find a replacement Tri-X fan on eBay that someone took off when they water cooled the GPU. Alternatively, you could water cool yours (using an All in one cooler and the GPU-AIO brackets they have these days)

Yep, that's what every1 said. I've seen YT vides, that thing is quiet. I've seen tests... That's why i bought the card.

I'll try as .vodka suggested. I'll do a detailed clean and with new thermal paste and try to fixate fans to reduce vibrations although it doesn't sound like it. If that doesn't help i'll buy that artic cooling for 50€ on amazon. i'm not willing to buy another 2nd hand product. Not anymore...

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
Yep, that's what every1 said. I've seen YT vides, that thing is quiet. I've seen tests... That's why i bought the card.

I'll try as .vodka suggested. I'll do a detailed clean and with new thermal paste and try to fixate fans to reduce vibrations although it doesn't sound like it. If that doesn't help i'll buy that artic cooling for 50€ on amazon. i'm not willing to buy another 2nd hand product. Not anymore...

I bought it used in person and I said "ok dude fire up a game" and he was like "it's already at load". I was very happy!

I'm so sorry your used purchase didn't turn out as well. I approve of the plan good luck report back on how it goes. Since I'm going freesync and am vendor locked for amd for awhile. And since I've by chance had 2 whisper quiet sapphire cards, I'm sticking with sapphire for awhile.

Edit :the card is clean right? When I got my card it was a gross dirty mess.

Last edited:

RyanRazer

Dec 30, 2014
I bought it used in person and I said "ok dude fire up a game" and he was like "it's already at load". I was very happy!

I'm so sorry your used purchase didn't turn out as well. I approve of the plan good luck report back on how it goes. Since I'm going freesync and am vendor locked for amd for awhile. And since I've by chance had 2 whisper quiet sapphire cards, I'm sticking with sapphire for awhile.

Edit :the card is clean right? When I got my card it was a gross dirty mess.
Well, it looked clean on the outside. I'll go get some thermal paste and open it up tomorrow. Will report back.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Well, it looked clean on the outside. I'll go get some thermal paste and open it up tomorrow. Will report back.

Remember, don't goop it on, and buying a new cooler, is doubtful it will help the situation here. The problem is not the Tri-X (as reported, is a fantastic cooler!), it is something else.
Hope you didn't pay too much for this used card.

RyanRazer

Dec 30, 2014
Okay, so i solved my problem. I just opened my GPU and replaced thermal paste. Gpu runs much cooler, thus fans work much slower and quieter.

I made a video of entire process with screen shots of MSI afterburner in the end and aftermath. Very pleased with results!
https://youtu.be/EZ7kIgFXeN4

Before at load: temp 80-85C, fan 50-80%
now: 65-70C, fan 40-50%

Thank you all for help. I fell much better now. I was afraid i bought a faulty product. I can finally enjoy my games! :)

Last edited:

.vodka

Golden Member
Dec 5, 2014
Excellent! The only thing I'd redo here is the thermal paste, since in the video you took the card away from the heatsink twice with the paste applied. That leads to air bubbles trapped between the GPU and the heatsink in the paste itself, reducing the paste's efficiency. I mean, your temperatures could be even better (or less fan speed for the same temperatures, putting it in another way) if you didn't check the paste application. But now you know how much paste to apply to get 100% coverage on the GPU, and you know how to do maintenance on your card.

Next time you clean the card, just apply the paste and reassemble it without looking if it's okay, you'll get even better results. At least now it's behaving as it should.

Enjoy your 290! :D

Last edited:

RyanRazer

Dec 30, 2014
Excellent! The only thing I'd redo here is the thermal paste, since in the video you took the card away from the heatsink twice with the paste applied. That leads to air bubbles trapped between the GPU and the heatsink in the paste itself, reducing the paste's efficiency. I mean, your temperatures could be even better (or less fan speed for the same temperatures, putting it in another way) if you didn't check the paste application. But now you know how much paste to apply to get 100% coverage on the GPU, and you know how to do maintenance on your card.

Next time you clean the card, just apply the paste and reassemble it without looking if it's okay, you'll get even better results. At least now it's behaving as it should.

Enjoy your 290! :D

Thanks buddy! :thumbsup: :)

It was really exciting! I'll definitely do it again some day. Maybe next time i'll opt up for a more challenging task and put a waterblock in there...

Last edited:

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Okay, so i solved my problem. I just opened my GPU and replaced thermal paste. Gpu runs much cooler, thus fans work much slower and quieter.

I made a video of entire process with screen shots of MSI afterburner in the end and aftermath. Very pleased with results!
https://youtu.be/EZ7kIgFXeN4

Before at load: temp 80-85C, fan 50-80%
now: 65-70C, fan 40-50%

Thank you all for help. I fell much better now. I was afraid i bought a faulty product. I can finally enjoy my games! :)
What thermal paste did you use?
Also, it isn't a good idea to wipe off the extra thermal paste with a cotton swab, since the cotton swab can leave microscopic particles in the left-over thermal paste, and block heat transfer. Better to use a plastic pick or credit card, or cut up a plastic cup to remove the excess. (Then again, better to not have excess in the first place. ;))

RyanRazer

Dec 30, 2014
What thermal paste did you use?
Also, it isn't a good idea to wipe off the extra thermal paste with a cotton swab, since the cotton swab can leave microscopic particles in the left-over thermal paste, and block heat transfer. Better to use a plastic pick or credit card, or cut up a plastic cup to remove the excess. (Then again, better to not have excess in the first place. ;))
Akasa pro 5022
http://www.akasa.com.tw/update.php?...s&type_sub=Thermal Interface&model=AK TC-5022

Noted! :)

RyanRazer

Dec 30, 2014
Just wanted to let you guys know how things ended up after changing thermal compound. I can't believe it can make such difference.

IDLE

LOAD STOCK

LOAD OC

Thanks again all for help! :thumbsup: