sapphire hd4870 vs. Asus hd4870

Gurrok

Jul 28, 2008
Which is better between these 2 companies for this video card? or is it the same and wont cause conflict issues or preformance issues with an intel motherboard?

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Get the cheapest if the warranty / game bundle is identical, both are most likely reference clones.

May 17, 2007
if you have the asus p5q series, get the Asus one. I believe the EPU software can only be used to control the same brand of video cards.

JPB

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2005
I would go with the Asus. But if you decide on another vendor, go with Visiontek for the lifetime warranty.

I did :thumbsup:

Nov 26, 2005
Originally posted by: Gurrok
Which is better between these 2 companies for this video card? or is it the same and wont cause conflict issues or preformance issues with an intel motherboard?

Right now, those cards are using reference design. Infact all the 4870's are in vanilla stage.

Gurrok

Jul 28, 2008
Thanks Guys for the quick replies..but i someone told me that if i had Ati Hd4870 i will screw up the preformance if i put it with a pc made for itel? is that true

SSChevy2001

Jul 9, 2008
Thanks Guys for the quick replies..but i someone told me that if i had Ati Hd4870 i will screw up the preformance if i put it with a pc made for itel? is that true
1st Reference cards aren't any better than one another, because there all made by ATI. Visiontek has lifetime warranty though.

2nd Most all review sites are using Intel CPU and MB when reviewing the 4870. Intel currently has better CPUs, which is what you want as you don't want to be CPU bound.

JPB

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2005

No, Not true by any means.

bob4432

Lifer
Sep 6, 2003
i am currently getting all kinds of b.s. from asus for a 35day old 3850. making me jump through all types of hoops just to get an rma. i always had a high respect for asus, but the last couple hours on hold and the b.s. i have been getting like it is because you don't have a asus m/b too is really leaving a lot to be desired.

i am going to try to give newegg call tomorrow and see if they can help me out and maybe switch to a 8800gt or something similiar, hell i will even take a hit on this piece of sh!t 3850 i have.

i have used many sapphire boards and although they don't get much respect, i have never had to rma one, i am actually pissed at myself for replacing a sapphire 2yr old x1800xt for this current problem.

again, i have numerous asus products too, but i won't be buying more, and no, it has not been 1 isolated call and 1 isolated person.

Nov 26, 2005
Originally posted by: bob4432
i am currently getting all kinds of b.s. from asus for a 35day old 3850. making me jump through all types of hoops just to get an rma. i always had a high respect for asus, but the last couple hours on hold and the b.s. i have been getting like it is because you don't have a asus m/b too is really leaving a lot to be desired.

i am going to try to give newegg call tomorrow and see if they can help me out and maybe switch to a 8800gt or something similiar, hell i will even take a hit on this piece of sh!t 3850 i have.

i have used many sapphire boards and although they don't get much respect, i have never had to rma one, i am actually pissed at myself for replacing a sapphire 2yr old x1800xt for this current problem.

again, i have numerous asus products too, but i won't be buying more, and no, it has not been 1 isolated call and 1 isolated person.

on hold for a couple of hours???? no doubt if they were to put me on hold for that long my neighbors would hear me cussing them the F*CK OUT! And I would tell them to tell the CEO of ASUS to EAT SH*T - GO F*CK HIMSELF AND I would ask they record the call

bob4432

Lifer
Sep 6, 2003
Originally posted by: BTRY B 529th FA BN
Originally posted by: bob4432

on hold for a couple of hours???? no doubt if they were to put me on hold for that long my neighbors would hear me cussing them the F*CK OUT! And I would tell them to tell the CEO of ASUS to EAT SH*T - GO F*CK HIMSELF AND I would ask they record the call

well, as expected newegg is taking care of me. i do have to pay a small return fee since i sent in the upc for the mail in rebate, but that is cool w/ me to get rid of it. asus just lost a loyal customer and numerous recommendations on at least a weekly basis. i have used their rma in the past and never had an issue, now it seems they are becoming more anti-consumer.

looking like i am going w/ a sapphire 4850 or evga 8800gt....

Gurrok

Jul 28, 2008
I will probably go with Asus i alway had great luck with them and plus Smartdoctor is not bad either, if they dont have them in stock well i will buy the Saphire like some ppl here said there probably no difference in performance

fpsdean

Apr 21, 2008
I'm in the same boat but I'm thinking I should wait for the HIS Hightech Iceq model which should hardly cost any more than the reference models....

It is true that Asus gives you the run around if you need customer support. Sapphire is at least good if you call them. The recent complaints about Visiontek is people buy an overclocked model and get the reference model back for it, but if they want to send the wrong model of the same card if you buy a reference card then so be it!