Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 4890 Vapor-X for $185.24, Toxic for $204.24 after $15 store coupon and Bing.com cash back

Status
Not open for further replies.

PJABBER

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
Update 7/6/09 - Looks like Ebiz.com has pulled that great price on the Toxic, it is now showing $229.99 before discounts. Shipping is now free for both products. The Vapor-X "Deal of the Week" pricing should remain for the rest of the week or until they run out of product. These cards have been tough to find in stock. This deal is is best considered by someone looking at cooling solutions which may offer reduced noise and/or offer better cooling than a stock 4890, ie for overclocking, noise minimizing applications.

ORIGINAL POST NOW EDITED TO REFLECT PRICING AS OF 7/6/09

The Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 4890 TOXIC AND the Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 4890 Vapor-X are both on sale at Ewiz.com this week.

Let's see if I can get the two parts fully identified first.

The wickedly overclocked Sapphire ATI Radeon HD4890 TOXIC (first for $208.08): Updated price is now $229.99 before discounts, but includes free shipping.

Specifications
o Mfr Part Number: 100269TXSR
o Chipset: Radeon HD 4890
o Engine Clock: 960 MHz
o Video Memory: 1GB DDR5
o Memory Clock: 1050 MHz, 4.2 Gbps
o Memory Interface: 256-bit
o Bus: PCI-Express x16 (Support PCI-Express 2.0)
o RAMDAC: 400 MHz
o Connectors: Dual DVI; TV-out (HDTV ready)
o Thermal: Dual Slot Vapor-X Cooler with Heatpipes
o Support ATI CrossFireX Technology
o Support HDMI via adapter
o Support Microsoft DirectX 10.1, Shader Model 4.1
o 500W Power Supply recommended, 600W for ATI CrossFireX technology
o Package: Retail

The more mildly overclocked Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 4890 Vapor-X for $209.99:

Specifications
o Mfr Part Number: 100269VXL
o Chipset: Radeon HD 4890
o Engine Clock: 870 MHz
o Video Memory: 1GB DDR5
o Memory Clock: 1050 MHz, 4.2 Gbps
o Memory Interface: 256-bit
o stream processing: 800
o Bus: PCI-Express x16 (Support PCI-Express 2.0)
o RAMDAC: 400 MHz
o Connectors: Display Port, HDMI, DVI, VGA
o Thermal: Dual Slot Vapor-X Cooler
o Support ATI CrossFireX Technology
o Support Microsoft DirectX 10.1, Shader Model 4.1
o 500W Power Supply recommended, 600W for ATI CrossFireX technology
o Package: Retail

Pricing for both cards now includes free shipping!

1. Apply $15 off $100 store coupon FIREWORKS15 (expires 7/9/09)

2. Apply 5% Bing.com cash back

Gets you an updated net price of $204.24 (now with free shipping) for the Toxic and a net price of $185.24 (free shipping) for the Vapor-X.

To get the 5% cash back you must first register and log into Microsoft's Bing.com (formerly Live.com) shopping/cash back site.

Bing.com Shopping

Go to the list of participating merchants, find and click through to SuperBiiz. This will bring you to Ewiz.com and you can find the Sapphire 4890s here:

Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 4890 Toxic $229.99 @ Ewiz.com

Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 4890 Vapor-X $209.99 @ Ewiz.com

:cool: May offer quieter and/or better overclocking potential with the Vapor-X cooling solutions. The Toxic is already getting close to the limits of air cooling I think.

There have been a few questions on the AT Hot Deals forum as to whether the vendor has an adequate stock management system, but it does seem as though they do warehouse the items they offer for sale. Since the card just went on sale you have a good chance of getting one right away.

If you are interested in lower priced options with reference cooling, check out my original 4890 thread -

Lowest priced 4890s

Schmide

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2002
Very nice layout of all the info.

Note: I've actually bought more stuff from ewiz over the past 2 months than newegg.

shadyshabby

Jun 29, 2009
FYI

The vapor also offers free shipping ...

However, I chose the toxic because I am not very tech saavy and it saves me the trouble of trying to OC the card myself.

Thanks again , Pjabber !!

dj2004

Platinum Member
Oct 8, 2004
Sucks that I just ordered two GTX 275 from Newegg yesterday, and the fact that Newegg shipped my cards from the TN warehouse so I have to wait until the ninth to even receive my goods. Best of all, I had to pay nearly $40 in taxes since I live in CA and I don't even get same state shipping! Sorry just had to vent...

The Toxic is suppose to be one great card. Even though Sapphire's customer service is quite bad, for $184 it's a steal, especially with no MIR.

PJABBER

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: shadyshabby
You're the fucking man right about now.

:beer:

Just got back from the July 4 holiday, haven't turned on my PC in three days but I couldn't sleep after driving ten hours. What else can you do between the hours of 2A and 3A EST?

Consider this the insomniac deal of the day!

machineheadg2rr

Apr 11, 2009
I can't remember which site, but they reviewed teh xfx 4890 and the sappire one, and they loved how quiet the sapphire was.

shadyshabby

Jun 29, 2009
Just got a message from ewiz. They are out of stock and it is in backorder, even though I made a lightning fast purchase. They said it could be in later this week.

PJABBER

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
You got in at the $208.08 before discounts price last night, right? I would ask them for free shipping to make up for the inconvenience. BTW, this is not Deadwood, so please watch the &%$@# language.

shadyshabby

Jun 29, 2009
Originally posted by: PJABBER
You got in at the $208.08 before discounts price last night, right? I would ask them for free shipping to make up for the inconvenience.

Yes, but unfortuenetly I got so excited after finding this card that I went out and purchased everything under the sun to mathc this card. Now I am left sitting here for atleast another week and a half with a bunch of computer parts.

Not your fault, though ... I should have done my research on this terrible company that offers items which are not even in stock.

shadyshabby

Jun 29, 2009
I am kind of glad this happened, cause it forced me to realize that the dx10 platform is dying anyways. Why am I shelling out all this money when it will be paper weight material in a few months ...

I decided to go with a 1gig 9600gt instead for $65 and needless to say, I feel way better about the purchase :thumbsup:

Atleast I can use that until some time next year when I will eventually have to jump on the dx11 bandwagon.

So in the end, you saved me a bunch of cash Pjabber. All is well :)

A5

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2000
There aren't going to be any good DX11 games for 2 years anyway :p

PJABBER

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
Well, I upgraded from a nicely functional 8800GT to the 4890 and have not really been able to push the gaming envelope in a meaningful way yet. The 4890 with stock cooling is about 25 - 50% louder than the 8800 GT, so you should definitely be happier with the noise level and performance of the equivalent 9600GT.

I still think my cost of $125 to go with the stock 4890 at this time is worthwhile when I consider the gaming use I expect to get from it for the next 1 - 2 years. It is the last part I needed to upgrade a Q6600 system before I do a completely new system build in a year or two. If I sell the 8800GT I have now I can get that significant future proofing performance boost for a total layout of under $60. Thinking back over the years, other than the 8800GT I usually find the price delta appealing only close to the end of a product life cycle when the prices collapse.

I think it is always important to remember that game companies need to design for the largest installation if they expect to make money. Crysis, admittedly a very cool game, is the only game that chokes current systems and it is likely most future games for the next year or two will be designing for good performance at single GPU 8800GT levels, rather than bleeding edge SLI rigs. What I have been reading about Windows 7 is promising, and I will seriously consider upgrading all of my systems at some point, but I'd rather see the hype play itself out before committing to a hardware buy. Besides, I only spend about 5 -10% of my time gaming and other elements come into play in my decision making.

Status
Not open for further replies.