Sapphire 7990 or Galaxy GTX 780 HOF Edition?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
Waiting would be best like others have said,a single better gpu is usually the way to go cause i know i made a terrible choice before upgrading a gtx280 to a gtx295 and well the games that did not support sli ended up running worst like they were running on a gtx260 lol.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
Why do you only run whql drivers? It's not like they are any less buggy in my experience.

Yes, and when AMD used to release new drivers every month people said that was an issue too. No matter what, some people will just find reasons to complain.

WHQL is a good idea, but falls short of it's intended purpose. I agree with you. Since when has WHQL had anything to do with stability and/or driver quality?

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
Waiting would be best like others have said,a single better gpu is usually the way to go cause i know i made a terrible choice before upgrading a gtx280 to a gtx295 and well the games that did not support sli ended up running worst like they were running on a gtx260 lol.

Add to that the OP is doing more than gaming. The odds of proper crossfire/SLI support on his pro apps. from Geforce or Radeon drivers is even less likely to be good.

tolis626

Aug 25, 2013
Well,I'm facing a similar situation here.I was supposed to receive a generous payment come September,but I was informed yesterday that I will have to wait a bit.until 20-25 September or the first week of October.At this point,while I was ready to order my PC with the 7970 (I'm in desperate need/want of a new PC),I may as well wait to see what AMD brings to the table even if my money arrives sooner than the new GPUs are announced.I only hope that they will be available for purchase at launch and not a month after or so,or I will be pissed and go with the 7970.Or if they retail at more than 600€,it's still 7970 most probably.
Does anyone have any idea about when they will be available?Not a date,just relative to the launch.It's been ages since I last waited for a GPU or any part to launch.

PS : Goddamn bureaucrats!

SolMiester

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2004
Yes, and when AMD used to release new drivers every month people said that was an issue too. No matter what, some people will just find reasons to complain.

WHQL is a good idea, but falls short of it's intended purpose. I agree with you. Since when has WHQL had anything to do with stability and/or driver quality?

This was due to AMD having 2 game pools and would alternate the pool with each months drivers, breaking fixes which were applied the previous month....

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
This was due to AMD having 2 game pools and would alternate the pool with each months drivers, breaking fixes which were applied the previous month....

That's not at all what I was referring to (that's actually the first time I've read that posted anywhere). People just used to simply complain that it was a pain to update drivers that often. Of course it was usually people who had nVidia cards in their sigs and it didn't matter to anyway. Still it was some way of kicking dirt at AMD, so they did.

luci5r

Sep 4, 2013
Just wanted to update:

The Xeon E5-2600 V2 series dropped today, including the E5-2640 V2 chips I was going with; so at this point I've decided to go with the the Galaxy GTX 780 HOF, there's no point waiting any longer.

I'm just deciding between the E5-2640 V2 & E5-2650 V2 who's prices have come in extremely close, with the xx50 having some strong advantages. Once I've made the decision, I'll be pulling the trigger on the CPU & GPU in the same order.

Thanks!

Liquid_Static

Jan 6, 2013
I'd never go with the 7990 just because of the issues inherent to dual-card setups, including waiting for drivers to be released for games. I've always bought a fast single gpu and sold it when I wanted to upgrade.

SolMiester

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2004
That's not at all what I was referring to (that's actually the first time I've read that posted anywhere). People just used to simply complain that it was a pain to update drivers that often. Of course it was usually people who had nVidia cards in their sigs and it didn't matter to anyway. Still it was some way of kicking dirt at AMD, so they did.

It was stated here on the site on one of the old reviews, quite possibly before you joined.

UNhooked

Golden Member
Jan 21, 2004
For Pro stuff, 7990 or the upcoming 9970. I think that should solve it for you. Looks like you'll be using your machine for work first and then games is a 'nice to have' feature.

luci5r

Sep 4, 2013
Question:

Does anyone here OWN a Galaxy GTX 780 HOF? If yes, is it possible for you to give me an EXACT measurement of the WIDTH of the card; not the length or height, but the exact amount of SLOT Space it's going to take.

Most of these cards take 2 slots, but it looks like this one extends into a 3rd slot. That could potentially pose a problem for me when comes time to SLI & put in a 2nd one.

Newegg says 2.16" and Amazon says 2.2" ... I wanted to see what the accurate width it.

Thanks!!