Sapphire 5870 Toxic 2GB buffer testing

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Dark Shroud

Golden Member
Mar 26, 2010
I was gonna grab one but I started thinking maybe I should wait for at least 1 review first. Im not a 100% on gigabyte. I went through the reviews on their other 5870 model on newegg and it seemed to have a problem with not idling or something.

If it was a sapphire I would have jumped on it as I hear they have outstanding build quality.

With Red Team Sapphire is the safe bet. They engineer their own parts even down to the PCB for their VaporX & Toxic lines.

Cookie Monster

Diamond Member
May 7, 2005
1gb vs. 2gb tested at eyefinity resolutions (very little difference)

http://www.rage3d.com/reviews/video/ati_hd5870_eyefinity6/index.php?p=10

Heres another one. Didnt realise today was the launch day the AMD Radeon Eyefinity 6 Edition. Theres quite a few more reviews out. Looks like 2GB does nothing to minimum framerates nor the avg framerate except in 1~2 situations (literally).

I have to admit that even though I was let down by the FPS experience of gaming on 6 monitors, the sheer beauty of seeing a 3x2 Eyefinity configuration is awe inspiring. I found myself finding things to fill the real estate with and could see someone becoming accustomed to it very easily for a permanent configuration. Gaming on 6 panels creates a bit of a problem as we mentioned and only SOME games are going to see the benefit from it: fans of RTS titles and driving games will probably find it mesmerizing. And the ability to fall back on 3-panels for FPS titles does seem like a waste of investment (especially if this is the majority of your gaming time) but at least the option is there.

The Radeon HD 5870 Eyefinity 6 Edition graphics card is aimed at a very specific type of gamer and to that end, AMD has succeeded. I was disappointed to see that the 2GB frame buffer offered so little in performance advantages over the 1GB card so recommending it over other HD 5870s is hard to do unless you really do want the freedom of 4+ monitors hooked up to a single GPU. Should you find yourself multi-monitor curious, this card is the only way to go.

Tempered81

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2007
looks like pcper made batman choke out in eyefinity with 4xAA on teh 1GB card, and rage3d did the same with grid and AA on the 1gb cards in eyefinity. When the 1GB framebuffer is used up the FPS drops from ~50-60ish down to < 10.

Other than choking it to death, the 1GB performs just the same as the 2GB (with today's games that is)

Cookie Monster

Diamond Member
May 7, 2005
Just going offtopic, but everytime I see your Avatar it just makes me giggle. That old man is seriously awesome hehehe

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Except the additional memory isn't going to "future-proof" your card. Cards run out of horsepower before they run out of frame buffer.

I've run all of my cards for years: 16MB TNT lasted until the 64MB Geforce 2 GTS, then down to a 32MB Geforce 2 Go, a 256MB 6600, and a 320MB 8800GTS.
Never have I wished for more frame buffer. The cards' processing power/memory bandwidth always bring games down to unplayable well before they run out of RAM.

I think it works out differently when it comes to user-made mods though. Seems you can easily get user-made enhanced textures, say, which require larger memory far more than they do sheer processing power. Seems probable that actual game makers are acutely conscious of exactly what the typical card out there can do and hence games get more demanding with respect to each aspect of a card (core and memory) about equally, but mod makers don't follow that rule.

Hauk

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2001
So the Eyefinity cards finally launch. I read the AT review, even more ammo for those who spout off that 2GB makes no difference. That's fine. I'll stand alone.

I'm not a sheep and will not follow the herd on this one. I consider benchmarks; but I also keep in mind that they're a snapshot, a few thousand frames examined from an epic length movie.

Actual gameplay is what matters to me. I like eye candy and especially like AF and MSAA. If software exists that can tax the hardware, I balance the equation when possible. I don't pontificate about hardware all day long, I actually use it for intense gaming an hour or so per day. I've enjoyed gaming since I was a kid and can afford bigger guns now.

I was foolish in thinking to examine VRAM buffer usage. I couldn't point to it then point to benchmark differences so what's the point? Perhaps minimum framerates but why bother.

Rejoyce "1GB is enough" supporters. Reviews are up, your ammo stores are replenished. Go forth and pontificate..

venusiansky

Jan 28, 2008
However big your screen is, it is still 1920*1080, so I think you are better off with the 1Gig version.

Yeah, it is still 1920x1080. I think I am gonna go with the Sapphire while it is on sale. I just read the review on the Eyefinity 6, and it doesn't seem to be worth the extra $100+. My 2 yr old mobo supports CF (and only CF), so I figure I can maybe grab another one sometime down the road when they are even cheaper. I currently have a 9800 GX2. This should be a huge upgrade from that.

darckhart

Jul 6, 2004
i briefly glanced through the new reviews popping up today, but i didn't see addressed supersampling FSAA mode. i wonder how 2gb framebuffer would fare.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
So the Eyefinity cards finally launch. I read the AT review, even more ammo for those who spout off that 2GB makes no difference. That's fine. I'll stand alone.

I'm not a sheep and will not follow the herd on this one. I consider benchmarks; but I also keep in mind that they're a snapshot, a few thousand frames examined from an epic length movie.

Actual gameplay is what matters to me. I like eye candy and especially like AF and MSAA. If software exists that can tax the hardware, I balance the equation when possible. I don't pontificate about hardware all day long, I actually use it for intense gaming an hour or so per day. I've enjoyed gaming since I was a kid and can afford bigger guns now.

I was foolish in thinking to examine VRAM buffer usage. I couldn't point to it then point to benchmark differences so what's the point? Perhaps minimum framerates but why bother.

Rejoyce "1GB is enough" supporters. Reviews are up, your ammo stores are replenished. Go forth and pontificate..

No reason to be upset about it. There is a reason people were saying dont waste the money for 2GB.

Sometimes people talk out of their ass here, other times they know what they are talking about ;)

If 2GB makes you feel better, then do it. It is your system, and really nobody else's business. But dont expect to not be told you are wasting money, just like if someone comes in and says: "Hey guys, I'm looking at a GTX480 for my mom. She uses e-mail and plays solitaire, what do you think?"

sparkuss

Jul 4, 2003
Is it safe to say that these Sapphire 2gb 5870 boards are NOT reference board with larger memory but actually more ram chips in new layout?. I'm about to order GFX for my new WC rig and don't want to wait for new WC blocks for these.