Sandy Bridge-> Ivy Bridge LGA1155

dougri

Dec 8, 2010
Planning on upgrading my ancient desktop system this year as I transition my video library from optical media to streaming. Mostly DVDs, but an increasing number of BDs. Thus, transcoding is the primary consideration for my computing needs. I'm considering between an SB setup or an i7-8xx setup. I plan on overclocking either system to a good performance/power balance (e.g. ~3.6 or 3.8GHz for i7, 3.8-4GHz for SB???).

Anyway, I expect the unlocked SB i7 to be a bit beyond what I'm willing to spend, so I'm primarily focusing on the unlocked i5 SB and comparing against the i7-870 or 875k (whichever I can get for less at microcenter). I do not believe the difference in performance of SB is worth the cost (to me) once OC is considered, unless there is a clear upgrade path to Ivy Bridge (IB) and 6-8 cores down the line.

From what I've seen, Intel plans socket compatibility for IB with LGA1155, but I'm feeling dejavu, as I previously had an LGA775 mobo that I could not upgrade past Pentium D. If I felt reasonably confident that a 6 or 8 core upgrade path existed for a nice 1155 mobo, I would go the SB path... can anyone speak to this likelihood? Are certain mobo manufacturers better at assuring upgrade path than others? Also, if anyone has specific knowledge as to a better HD transcoding path (with a premium on quality since some streaming will go to 135" front projection) expected from AMD or Nvidia, please give details. I do not expect the onboard transcode engine on SB to exceed the capabilities of the chips (being able to outperform a current mobile i7 is one thing. being able to outperform a future, overclocked desktop processor is entirely another :).

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
You can get a Q9300 at Microcenter for $100, which is LGA775. That is, if you still have that setup.

nyker96

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
I think for high quality transcoding, x264 is the way to go. It runs very well on Intel, but is also pretty good on AMDs. If you can wait I'd have a look at BD but if you must buy now, I'd say wait a bit and get 2500k sandy which is pretty potent, it runs close to a i7 8xx and will be about 200-250 at debut.

Sp12

Jun 12, 2010
I think SB is supposed to have a dedicated hardware transcode unit that'll rock at this sort of task, plus GPU offloading.

dougri

Dec 8, 2010
I think SB is supposed to have a dedicated hardware transcode unit that'll rock at this sort of task, plus GPU offloading.

The demo at IDF looked great for a laptop, and was compared against a laptop in doing the same task. BUT... ~14s to transcode a 1080p 30Mbps 3min clip to 30fps ipod touch (at unknown quality) is likely slower than CPU encode. I doubt they have a different transcode engine for the desktop chips. Good for offloading the CPU, but by no means better than current i7/x6 at that task, and probably worse than SB CPU (albeit at lower power). I doubt the transcode engine will be of much benefit to those looking for the highest quality transcodes for streaming to larger screens @1080p.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
Thanks for the link... I guess I'll wait until January and see what all the secrecy is about :D

I was going to enlighten you on that subject but I see Who got ya thinking more correctly. SB is more than Penryn and is going to rock the cpu market.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
Thanks for the link. I have to say... that's a tough crowd over there at Doom10.

Ya they are! It seems it was a misunderstanding and they seem to be working out there issues. Miss communacation! Ya see how important the tower of bable was. Were would we be if we all spoke the same language in the world . I pretty sure the World would be a better and safer place to live.

Zargon

Lifer
Nov 3, 2009
The i7 2600K is slated to cost ~$300 which is about what the 875K costs right now anyway (minus Microcenter discounts and whatnot, but whose to say there won't be 2600K deals at MC as well?).

there is always the i5 2600K slated for ~200. yeah he loses HT, but he gets a nice unlocks quad core 32nm, and has the option to atleast maybe go up to i7 later once prices drop when ivy hits(if they do, and if all i7 isnt triple channel with sandy, ihavent read about those specifics yet)

smangular

Nov 11, 2010
there is always the i5 2600K slated for ~200. yeah he loses HT, but he gets a nice unlocks quad core 32nm, and has the option to atleast maybe go up to i7 later once prices drop when ivy hits(if they do, and if all i7 isnt triple channel with sandy, ihavent read about those specifics yet)

No Sandy Bridge/LGA1155/2nd Gen Core are all Dual Channel RAM. Dual Channel RAM will continue for some time to be used by mainstream platforms from Intel.

Quad Channel in LGA2011 (LGA1366 replacement/desktop/server) should be interesting together with increased number of Cores in 2H 2011.

Th3Loonatic

Jun 1, 2009
I'm from Malaysia, and as of 14 December, the Sandy Bridge chips along with their mother boards are available on sale already. Prices match the RRPs listed.

Zargon

Lifer
Nov 3, 2009
No Sandy Bridge/LGA1155/2nd Gen Core are all Dual Channel RAM. Dual Channel RAM will continue for some time to be used by mainstream platforms from Intel.

Quad Channel in LGA2011 (LGA1366 replacement/desktop/server) should be interesting together with increased number of Cores in 2H 2011.

awesome thanks for that info!

loon: cool!

dougri

Dec 8, 2010

The question in my mind is twofold:
1) will LGA1156 AND P67/H67 support Ivy Bridge on most mobos, and
2) will Ivy bridge bring hex core to LGA1156, or only LGA2011?

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002

You mean 1155 I presume? And no one knows if it will support Ivy Bridge, but I would think it is likely considering they are due out in only 12 months. I don't think even Intel will obsolete something so quickly.

And IB will have hex-core cpu's.

dougri

Dec 8, 2010
You mean 1155 I presume? And no one knows if it will support Ivy Bridge, but I would think it is likely considering they are due out in only 12 months. I don't think even Intel will obsolete something so quickly.

And IB will have hex-core cpu's.

yes, 1155, sorry. Intel had a presentation somewhere that explicitly stated socket compatibility, but that does not mean the mobos will support it. Independently, they've said Ivy Bridge will replace entry dual core desktop cpus with quads and server/enthusiast from 6 to 8 or 12. which leaves 1155 i7's under IB at 6 core??? Would be odd for EVERYTHING on 1155 under IB to be quad core. Of course, stranger things have happened. Also may not make much sense to put 6 22nm cores on 2-channel memory?

edit... yes, IB will have hex core, but on 1155? or just 2011?

smangular

Nov 11, 2010

I would plan that Ivy Bridge will not be supported on P/H67 chipsets although we might get pleasantly surprised.

Sandy Bridge brings Quad Core more mainstream, i.e. all Core i5-xxxx and better are quads. My personal expectation is LGA1155 with Ivy Bridge will give some hexa core options. LGA2011 will have at least 8+ cores.

Ivy Bridge seams to be Late 2H 2011 like Q4 unless AMD manages to apply pressure.

Last edited:

dougri

Dec 8, 2010
I would plan that Ivy Bridge will not be supported on P/H67 chipsets although we might get presently suppressed.

Sandy Bridge brings Quad Core more mainstream, i.e. all Core i5-xxxx and better are quads. My personal expectation is LGA1155 with Ivy Bridge will give some hexa core options. LGA2011 will have at least 8+ cores.

Ivy Bridge seams to be Late 2H 2011 like Q4 unless AMD manages to apply pressure.

presently suppressed = pleasantly surprised??? I think IB is slated for Q1 2012 (CES) last I heard.

ilkhan

Golden Member
Jul 21, 2006
I'm from Malaysia, and as of 14 December, the Sandy Bridge chips along with their mother boards are available on sale already. Prices match the RRPs listed.
My P67-UD4 should be here Friday. Not that I can get a chip yet, but I'm hopeful to get one before NYE (yearly house LAN with some friends)
1) 90%+ yes
2) Ivy should bring hex (but octo is unlikely) to s1155.

Edrick

Golden Member
Feb 18, 2010
Why wouldn't Ivy work in most P67 mobos? Westmere's worked in most X58 boards.

As for hex and octo, didn't Intel state once that it determined that anything over quad cores required more than dual channel memory to keep the cores fed? Maybe that does not apply to SB/IB, but it has held true up until now.

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
As for hex and octo, didn't Intel state once that it determined that anything over quad cores required more than dual channel memory to keep the cores fed? Maybe that does not apply to SB/IB, but it has held true up until now.

It's probably fine at the consumer level because the apps have less threads and/or the memory speeds are faster than on servers. If you had enough DIMMs per channel on Nehalem/Westmere server parts, the speed went down from DDR3-1333 to DDR3-1066, and I think even DDR3-800.

AVX optimized apps could change that, but for the most part it should be fine.