Sandia National Laboratories develops super-efficient heatsinks

yhelothar

Lifer
Dec 11, 2002
It claims to be 30x better at cooling than this beast!

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/cpu-cooler-sandia-heatsink-fan,16100.html

51mM2AOv6%2BL.jpg

sandia-cooler,C-O-342600-3.jpg

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/cpu-cooler-sandia-heatsink-fan,16100.html

PhoenixEnigma

Aug 6, 2011
Isn't this like a year old story at this point? And hasn't it generally been agreed that, while neat, it's pretty much entirely impractical?

Must be a slow day over at Tom's

ericloewe

Dec 14, 2011
Isn't this like a year old story at this point? And hasn't it generally been agreed that, while neat, it's pretty much entirely impractical?

Pretty much. It's just so impractical, that a practical implementation would be pretty bad compared to a normal heatsink.

borisvodofsky

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2010
This topic was already discussed on this forum when the news first broke.

It was discussed but, from an engineering standpoint, There ARE practical implementations possible.

Here's how you'd do it.

You take the WHOLE computer, put the regular BIG heatsink, nhd14, hyper212 on the cpu,

NOW, you spin the ENTIRE computer. It's exactly the same as what that impeller cooler is doing, only this is mechanically simpler and would work 100s of times better. :thumbsup:

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
Back in the news this year and could be coming to market soon-ish.

Just curious if people still think this has a place with the rise of the AIO and all the other solutions out there.

I'm interested in seeing tests as this gets closer to being a viable option. While it might be limited for those who OC, this could be a near-silent option with none of the "risks" associated with water (I put it in quotes as I think the actual risks are generally overblown by nay-sayers).

AT article from CES: http://www.anandtech.com/show/8872

Linus from same: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7SPbV76zng

Has the enthusiasm for this option dissipated? God, I hate puns.

know of fence

May 28, 2009
First I thought it was an investment scam, but it's probably more of a government grant money fraud. Yes, it is in fact a friggin blower fan out of a hunk of metal, also every hoover/vacuum has one of these impellers inside.

I like their website though it's very lean and clean.

Freejack2

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2000
Other than what they were showing off at CES, which looked like a working design, they have done nothing since. They've had 7 months since CES, and I can't find anything other than a simple web page.

Ramses

Platinum Member
Apr 26, 2000
I totally missed the G950, shame they screwed the base up. Duh..

You ever wonder why engineers don't just come ask stuff on forums or run things by us?
I use the term "us" broadly. Or even reviewers, if a site has 50 reviews of heatsinks or whatever, they probly have some valuable input by then. Again and again though, all this money and effort is put into a product and something stupid is wrong with it. It's baffling.

ClockHound

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2007

You ever wonder why engineers don't just come ask stuff on forums or run things by us?
I use the term "us" broadly. Or even reviewers, if a site has 50 reviews of heatsinks or whatever, they probly have some valuable input by then. Again and again though, all this money and effort is put into a product and something stupid is wrong with it. It's baffling.

You would think that. The better companies will do that; listen to people. However, some 'visionary engineer' led firms I've worked with have such a low opinion of pretty much everyone outside the workgroup that their input is never required. And don't get me started on the software firms...a week on campus in Redmond is, well, a month too long inside the arrogantuan bubble.

ClockHound

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2007

And a slower one at the Anand cooler forums - article is from 2012. Only 3 more years to go before Skylake tho!!! :biggrin:

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004

The Dynatron cooler looks like it has promising capability, but it falls down against a CM 212+ and of course -- an NH-D14, for both 150W and 85W tests:

http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2513&page=5

I saw this thread when it first came up in 2012. Some company really needs to come up with an alternative "revolutionary" concept which outstrips the best AiO. There's a pun for you.

Last edited:

Ramses

Platinum Member
Apr 26, 2000
Yeah I google'd and read that review last night, the crappy base seemed to be the biggest complaint. It might have been a decent option if it'd been a bit better made looks like.
Just baffles me how, with as mature as the heatsink market was even several years ago, how they could go through all the trouble to make and market that thing and not get it right on such a basic level. Weird.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Yeah I google'd and read that review last night, the crappy base seemed to be the biggest complaint. It might have been a decent option if it'd been a bit better made looks like.
Just baffles me how, with as mature as the heatsink market was even several years ago, how they could go through all the trouble to make and market that thing and not get it right on such a basic level. Weird.

Growing market base means several companies following at least three priorities: offer a product demanded, keep costs below total returns per unit, capture more customer base by making a superior product. Some of them may think sufficient to meet the first two conditions -- in an expanding market, that is.

I've seen double-tower heatpipes that don't offer more than the D15 or D14. I've heard rumors about "innovations." I've seem variants like "vapor-chamber" and so on. If they can keep it in a single-tower design (or a "no-tower" design), it could be interesting. But maybe it will never happen. I can't say at this point. "We . . . Three Kings, from Ori-ent Are . . . "