SandForce Identifies Firmware Bug Causing BSOD Issue, Fix Available Today

onethreehill

Aug 18, 2011
After months of end user complaints, SandForce has finally duplicated, verified and provided a fix for the infamous BSOD/disconnect issue that affected SF-2200 based SSDs. The root cause is a bug in the firmware, although specifics are pretty slim. The typically sparse release notes just state a rare condition resulting in a blue screen error has now been addressed. OCZ has been testing the fix in-house for the past three weeks and now believes it is fit for public release. SandForce is simultaneously releasing the firmware to its partners, so if you have non-OCZ drives you should contact your drive manufacturer for an availability update.

The new firmware is version 2.15 for OCZ drives and 3.3.2 for drives that use SF's standard numbering system. It's important to note that the fix here is for the bug that SF discovered and may not solve all pending issues. Given the extremely long discovery and fix time for this issue I still believe the best policy towards SandForce drives is one of caution, at least until we start hearing from users as to whether or not this fix worked (and didn't create any new issues).
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4973/...re-bug-causing-bsod-issue-fix-available-today

OCZ Firmware 2.15 is now live
http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/f...-this-thread-for-questions-and-all-discussion.

gevorg

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2004
Nice! Time to set the counter back to zero again and hope that the next run would be at least 6 months error free. ;)

rockwood_small.gif

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Sweet. If Sandforce can finally get their act together, then their drives could be a force to be reckoned with. Until then, I'm not planning on touching SF or OCZ SSDs.

Intel/Crucial/Kingston.

Coup27

Platinum Member
Jul 17, 2010
Interesting that they are saying a "firmware bug". A lot of people around here have been blaming Intel for their drives playing up.

amanoai

Nov 19, 2003
If this improves the reliability of Sandforce drives without breaking something else, it would put them right back in the SSD game.

groberts101

Golden Member
Mar 17, 2011
Interesting that they are saying a "firmware bug". A lot of people around here have been blaming Intel for their drives playing up.

LOL.. it's always Sandforce's fault! Everybody knows that by now.

errr wait, I forgot.. it's actually always OCZ's fault. :p

Kidding aside. It's just a workaround to get by some of the other issues that have already been proven to be the culprit in some systems. When you can swap OROM, drivers(particularly IME), change bios defaults, and sata power mgmt to achieve complete stability(or reinflict instability)?.. it's hard to imagine that all fault lies on Sandforce's end.

Here's an overview from Tony at OCZ as to the realistic way to look at it.

One needs to look no further than the changelog to see some of the temporary measures we were asking end users to employ are actually either fixed or worked around. Some think a new FW fixes issues...no it does not, in many cases it works around an issue it sees from the host...the end result is the same though and thats all an end users cares about.

I'm going to be honest here, i still feel some will see platform issues, im hoping the AMD users with issues (who were far less than Sandy Bridge users) will now see even fewer issues...Some Sandybridge users though will still see issues and may have to re enable some of the measures such as disabling C states and manual voltage tweaks to cpu etc as for same there are platform issues that persist.

Also...we had to force people to set systems up in a way that would narrow or remove the platform issues so we could focus on the drive issues...again end users will not see it that way but it is how it is. Even simple things like removing an overclock may be needed.

Overall though, 2.15 looks the best yet...i have noted some already though are asking if they can flash back to 2.11 or 2.13. In these cases i feel a thorough cmos clear with the drives detached will help and should be considered.

Taken from here. http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/f...-this-thread-for-questions-and-all-discussion.

and as I've eluded to on a few ocassions.. the timing of all these "hey!.. we found a bunch of issues and fixed them all at once" are very close to Intels release of drives that will allegedly use the same exact controllers. Who'da thunk Intel had such "pull", eh? Money talks.

here's the list of fixes http://www.ocztechnology.com/files/ssd_tools/OCZ_SSD_v215_Firmware_Release_Notes.pdf

Changes:

Fixed a rare condition that may cause Windows Blue Screen error when the primary-configured drive woke up from either a SATA slumber mode or S3/S4 modes
Fixed a rare condition that may cause Windows Blue Screen error when the drive was configured as primary with OS installed
Fixed a corner-case issue that may cause the drive to stutter or Windows freezing screen when a media read error occurred
Further improved robustness of Secure Erase operation to prevent possible low-level data structure corruption
Significantly improved TRIM handling to enhance system stability

Vertex 3 series, Vertex 3 Max IOPS series, Agility 3 series, Solid 3 series Known open issue:

Formatting a RAID1 volume takes longer than expected with PMC-Sierra BR-8 HBA

Last edited:

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
I long for the day when you can plug in a SSD and say "Hey, it works!" as opposed to tweaking bios settings, sata management settings and wondering what firmware version you have.

groberts101

Golden Member
Mar 17, 2011
I hear that!

I also long for the day when I don't need to screw around with VCore and memory timings just to get a minimal overclock stable on a new platform.

Then maybe even one day?.. software will not crash your system. lol

And eventually cheap bundled sata cables for 550MB's SSD's will all "just work" as well.

Growing pains and bottlenecks are verywhere you look these days as we jump by leaps and bounds with this tech.

groberts101

Golden Member
Mar 17, 2011
what about Sandforce 1200 drives? Are those considered stable these days?

probably not if you read around all the various mfgrs forums. There are still many sleep related issues which can cause them to suddenly disappear. Some bios revisions just don't seem to like them either(Dell laptops seem to take that prize), although mostly older hardware related I guess.

Some say that sleep has nothing to do with their problems(though I think that the damage/corruption ocurrs suddenly and just goes undetected quite often and comes back to bite you later on)... but I subscribe to the theory that all mine and family members are still running without issue simply because I eliminate the variables involved with shutting power down to these controllers when the system is slept. They are on when the system is booted and only turned off when the system is shut down.

Last edited:

Ratman6161

Mar 21, 2008
I hear that!

I also long for the day when I don't need to screw around with VCore and memory timings just to get a minimal overclock stable on a new platform.

Then maybe even one day?.. software will not crash your system. lol

And eventually cheap bundled sata cables for 550MB's SSD's will all "just work" as well.

Growing pains and bottlenecks are verywhere you look these days as we jump by leaps and bounds with this tech.

But, there is a huge difference between the Sandforce issues and what you are talking about. You are talking about overclocking which by definition is trying to run the hardware outside the limits the manufacturer promised you when they sold you the hardware.

The problem with the sandforce drives is that people have been having these problems just making the things work in a completely stock system. Even if all you are asking of the drive is to have it boot your stock system with reasonable stability you couldn't always achieve that. Expecting something to work as advertised out of the box is not unreasonable and not at all the same as being difficult to overclock. Completely different cases/

TemjinGold

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2006
I long for the day when you can plug in a SSD and say "Hey, it works!" as opposed to tweaking bios settings, sata management settings and wondering what firmware version you have.

That day was a couple of years ago with the G2 that I have... ;)

curlysir

Feb 21, 2011
LOL.. it's always Sandforce's fault! Everybody knows that by now.

errr wait, I forgot.. it's actually always OCZ's fault. :p

Kidding aside. It's just a workaround to get by some of the other issues that have already been proven to be the culprit in some systems. When you can swap OROM, drivers(particularly IME), change bios defaults, and sata power mgmt to achieve complete stability(or reinflict instability)?.. it's hard to imagine that all fault lies on Sandforce's end.

OK now, so I change out the OCZ Vertex 3 with another SSD or HDD changing nothing else and my system becomes stable and it is my drivers, Bios settings, MB, etc. that are causing the problem?

I don't quiet follow your logic!

curlysir

Feb 21, 2011
But, there is a huge difference between the Sandforce issues and what you are talking about. You are talking about overclocking which by definition is trying to run the hardware outside the limits the manufacturer promised you when they sold you the hardware.

The problem with the sandforce drives is that people have been having these problems just making the things work in a completely stock system. Even if all you are asking of the drive is to have it boot your stock system with reasonable stability you couldn't always achieve that. Expecting something to work as advertised out of the box is not unreasonable and not at all the same as being difficult to overclock. Completely different cases/

I agree. I have 2 Intel, 1 Mushkin,an OCZ Vertex 2 LE, and the Vertex 3 Max. And the only drive I have had that was not plug and play was the V3. I did do some tweaking of the system but that was only after the drives were up and running. I had problems getting the V3 to work at 6GB/s with the initial FW but it did work. The V3 is fast when it is working correctly but is a PIA when it doesn't.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999

Both my Intel G2 120GB and my OCZ V3 240GB were/are "plug in and do nothing more" ready. I guess I just lucked out.

2600K on a MIVE-Z :thumbsup: Stock Voltage, 4.5GHz IBT stable.

exar333

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2004
Both my Intel G2 120GB and my OCZ V3 240GB were/are "plug in and do nothing more" ready. I guess I just lucked out.

Haha! Beat me to it.....

My G2 has been great too. I had to bump-up voltage a little on my 920, but it was pretty easy. 2500/2600K and PhII X4 are easy OCing chips.

groberts101

Golden Member
Mar 17, 2011

not really all that different when you consider that many who have issues on these platforms ARE actually overclocking(otherwise, why buy an unlocked processor, right?) and are subsequently lumping any little glitch into the Sandforce mess. I've seen dozens and dozens all around the net who adamantly denied that it could possibly be the mobo/cpu(and yes.. some even swapped these SSD's in and out like you too and came to that same assumption). Guess what?.. they later realized that there are many variables added with overclocks and ultimately find out that it was not actually the SSD's(or even HDD's as some never even had SSD's installed) fault in the end. Just a mass assumption going on that any instability HAS to be the SSD. Many find otherwise, is the point.

OK now, so I change out the OCZ Vertex 3 with another SSD or HDD changing nothing else and my system becomes stable and it is my drivers, Bios settings, MB, etc. that are causing the problem?

I don't quiet follow your logic!

yeah, you and hundreds of others out there apparently. Read the mobo mfgrs forums(even the other SSD mfgrs forums) to realize that not all with similar symptoms to these are even using SF-2281 controlled drives to begin with. Again with the assumptions and lumping of issues.

Ever stop to think that maybe some have not implemented the latest sata specs appropriately? Why did Intel push so hard to implement specific APM features into the sata3 specs and then end up disabling some of those very same features on their own drives?

Even more interesting is the timing of these particular fixes when Intel is about to release their SF controlled drives. Who'da thunk that Intel had that kind of power? Major sarcasm intended there. Fact is that all the other workarounds that were implemented by the few percent of users who could not find stability no matter what firmware revision they tried.. were able to actually work through the issues. Of course there were(are) still those out there who did not find stability no matter what they tried with any firmware revision.

We can play ping-pong all day long but the reality is that if an OROM, a new IME driver, or forcing the registry to see the port the SF SSD is connected to.. can bring about stability?.. how can that be entirely the firmwares fault? So, in the end here?.. everyone is just working around everyone else's workarounds is all that it really amounts to.

In a nutshell.. there are and have been continuing issues with these newest platforms and the sheer volume that the OROM's, drivers, and even Windows hotfixes, have been progressively modified should be enough of a clue to see it. If you don't?.. then you must not be reading enough.

When even an HDD gives issue, c-states are slowing transfers using various SSD controllers, or ram has to be completely swapped to another mfgr to regain system stability?.. there are certianly some other underlying issues that have absolutley nothing to do with Sandforce going on here.

good for you... but if you visit the mobo mfgrs forums you'll surely see some who are not so fortunate. It's pretty well known by now that sub-1 Volt idles are giving many issues and forcing static VCores or using the correct offsets can make a world of difference. Hopefully X79 will make use of many of these mistakes and make those upgrades a bit less painful for some who jump to them right away.

Last edited:

curlysir

Feb 21, 2011
Have been running for nearly 3 days with the new FW and it does appear to have cured the problems I was having with the system freezing and BSOD 4 to 5 times a day. No other changes to the system but the new FW.

I installed the Crucial M4 I bought to replace the Vertex 3 with in my backup system and I didn't have to change a thing. Copied the previous drive with Acronis TI and was up and running in less then 10 minutes.

kmmatney

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2000

Gues you haven't used an Intel SSD? At least the first 2 gens were like that.

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
I still don't trust that they've fully fixed the issues, but Black Friday is a long way off, so hopefully by then the drives will be fixed, stable, and raring to sell.

curlysir

Feb 21, 2011
I still don't trust that they've fully fixed the issues, but Black Friday is a long way off, so hopefully by then the drives will be fixed, stable, and raring to sell.

Jury is still out. But for me it is day and night difference. With the old FW I was getting 4 to 5 BSOD daily. I pulled the drive last week it was so bad. When they came out with the new FW 2.15 I reinstalled the Vertex 3 with the new FW. Changed nothing but the FW on the drive. I have now gone 3 + days without a hiccup. It will take a while before I have complete confidence in the drive but the latest FW is a step in the right direction at least.

Newegg has a sale on them today!

Last edited: