Discussion Samsung Odyssey G9

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Someone talk me out of this badboy... Im getting buyers itch / remorse not even ordering it, but it looks to me honestly like the perfect monitor.

Pros:
Ultra Mega Super Extreme Wide.... 5120x1440 pixels
240Hz while not being TN pannel.
QLED
HDR1000
49 Inches!! 44.4 inches wide, with a 1000R curve radius.
1ms response time.... absolutely amazing for a non TN panel.

Cons:
Because of the 1000R curve radius, it has a lot of forward weight which prevents most VESA mounts.
Its 44.4 inches wide which can cause issues of running out of desktop real estate.
I hear the old stock has issues with QC, but samsung fixed this and new stock is fixed.
Its a very expensive monitor.

So lets hear your thoughts on it.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
Did a little gaming last night, so first impressions.

Curvature and width/size feels "natural". I was a bit afraid of the steep curvature, but I don't think it should be any less, now that I've tried it. I haven't tried work related tasks, so lets see.

Running it with a gtx 1070 limits it to 120Hz/8bit. I disabled adaptive sync, as it flickered when active. The newest firmware should fix that, so lets see. I also disabled the local dimming zones, as there were making black in desktop look greyish, and I don't have any HDR games (or capable video card) ATM.

The adaptive sync range is 60-240Hz, so really it needs a beefy video card. I may invest in a vanilla 6800 or 3070ti next year when the video card market settles. Most of the games I play are several years old, or not that demanding, so probably not going to buy a top end videocard.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
That seems to be a common issue across a lot of VRR displays that don't have the gsync module. All the current HDMI 2.1 TVs have it too.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
I did not have any plans on upgrading my computer (at least until zen4), but now I have. I'm think about getting a 3070/80 or 6800/XT next year when you can actually buy one. And I wondered about my CPU bottlenecking a modern video card at this resolution.

I found this review of an 4790K+3080, and at 4K the difference is quite small although minimums are obviously worse on an old CPU.

RTX 3080 with an OLD CPU – Should you upgrade? | TechteamGB

So do you think that could work?

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
This monitor was not even in stock for more then a few hours.

I had it in my cart at 1299.00 only to realize it was sold out when i came back with my coffee.

I think i will wait... im really conflicted right now on 32" 4K monitors more so then ultra wides.
I just wish it was 1600p and not 1440p.
I think that was the only rope which kept holding me back from buying it... oh and the fact i still can not get a waterblock for my 3090.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
The Alienware AW3821DW is currently on sale in Denmark, but not in US and that seems to be a beast of a monitor too.

yes.... i was looking at that too, but i really think the QLED + 240hz, is a better buy on the G9 even tho its 1440p.

The alienware 1600p, is 144hz... 37" vs 49"

I guess what i want is a ultrawide version of a 4k monitor.... what would that be? 6k monitor?

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
Even with a RTX 3090 getting +144hz @ 5120x1440 is not something you will see in many games, but obviously more likely on the 3840x1600 display.

What I can say is that immersion is great colors too, and with fancy zones it is also great for productivity. But looking forward to fully unlock its potential with a new videocard.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
I went from a 4790K to a 10700K at 4K. There is an improvement but it's not very noticeable outside benchmarks except in a few RTS games. A new video card would make much more difference even if it's CPU bottlenecked. I think the upgrade was still worth it for the newer platform with a more modern bios, bluetooth/wifi, USB/M.2 slots, etc.

Socio

Golden Member
May 19, 2002
This monitor was not even in stock for more then a few hours.

I had it in my cart at 1299.00 only to realize it was sold out when i came back with my coffee.

I think i will wait... im really conflicted right now on 32" 4K monitors more so then ultra wides.
I just wish it was 1600p and not 1440p.
I think that was the only rope which kept holding me back from buying it... oh and the fact i still can not get a waterblock for my 3090.

Same with me, was going to pick one up on Black Friday, saw it on Amazon for $1,189.99 made the mistake of checking other sites prices, by the time I browsed back they were sold out, I saw them at Newegg for $1,249 while I was checking prices and figured I would get that instead, but they were sold out already as well.

There was one on Amazon doing the other buy options but that was listed for a bit over $2,500 so decided to just be patient and wait for new stock, the bright side is they should be the latest builds and bios.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
It is very easy to update firmware on the monitor, just plug in an usb with the firmware file, and choose update from the screen menu.

YBS1

Golden Member
May 14, 2000
... oh and the fact i still can not get a waterblock for my 3090.
Well boo-freakin'-hoo! I'm still struggling along on this 2080Ti because no one in the world seems to be able to manufacture GPUs anymore. At this point I'll probably grab whatever I can, 68/6900XT or 3080/3090, I just won't give any money to a scalper, **** them. I'm at the point I think my best shot will be an EVGA 3090 HydroCopper because at that price point and the smaller pool of people being able to use such a card I might be able to snag one if they ever release them.

Reactions: CP5670

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
At this point I'll probably grab whatever I can, 68/6900XT or 3080/3090, I just won't give any money to a scalper, **** them.

lol.... yeah im still trying to grab either a 6800XT or just going to wait it out til the 3080ti's are out with 20gb of ram.

EVGA 3090 HydroCopper because at that price point and the smaller pool of people being able to use such a card I might be able to snag one if they ever release them.

for a 2000 dollar gpu... 1799 + tax + shipping.
I wish they did a better gpu block.
eK probably has the best tier at looks / price point, then comes optimusPC with theirs as i would consider that like way overkill in materials, but if you want the rolls royce of gpu blocks for your 2000 dollar gpu its OptimusPC.

However i hear a lot of bad stuff about them and time frames.... like they can not get there stuff in order, and make deliveries on time.
So i will most likely wait til Titan Rig on Amazon has them in stock and get them though there.

jagdishsingh

Dec 22, 2020
hey guys was looking around for monitor and suddenly cme across this 49" monitor. Can you suggest some games that can be played in such an highly wide monitor other than Fifa?

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
hey guys was looking around for monitor and suddenly cme across this 49" monitor. Can you suggest some games that can be played in such an highly wide monitor other than Fifa?

games which are horrible for ultra wides are games like DOTA, Divinity Original Sin, Baulders Gate, Diablo 3
The reason i say that is because unless your moving your character sideways, moving them vertically up and down you have a very narrow screen depth compared to the ultra wide sides.

Games which are great, are probably first person shooters, or third person, as the ultra wide gives you more side line of vision.

But i find my ultra wides somewhat annoying when i do play those top down scrollers, but not enough to merit me going back to a non ultra wide.

Most modern games ranging from fps, RTS and simulation games.

I would have to disagree on RTS because again, you get way too much side LOV, but way too little top and down.
So unless you like to pan your vision sideways a lot, it sort of gets annoying.

Well boo-freakin'-hoo! I'm still struggling along on this 2080Ti because no one in the world seems to be able to manufacture GPUs anymore.

And its only getting worse... not better, which is why its making it really hard for me NOT to flip these guys on EBAY, which i should not do, but the prices they go for is getting quite a bit outrageous not to be tempted, especially that Nitro+ 6900XT, as they are near impossible i hear to get.

20201218-163132.jpg

I really do not want to become someone i an adamant in telling people not to become, but sigh... i will try to stand behind my values, but if the prices go up another 20-30%, i honestly think i am better selling the cards, and waiting for them again when they are cheaper.

But i am still waiting for the eK block, or OptimusPC block to come out.
I see them coming soon on website, but non are for sale.

Last edited:
Reactions: CP5670

thesmokingman

Platinum Member
May 6, 2010
^^Driving games and flight sims is where this form factor shines!

Even with a RTX 3090 getting +144hz @ 5120x1440 is not something you will see in many games, but obviously more likely on the 3840x1600 display.

What I can say is that immersion is great colors too, and with fancy zones it is also great for productivity. But looking forward to fully unlock its potential with a new videocard.

Thanks for posting the pics. It's a beautiful panel. What are you getting FPS wise in something like CP2077? I suppose I could just connect our 4K tv to it and find out. I'm at 6.3MP with triple 1080p 144hz panels and have been looking at this one and other similar ultra ultrawides. These were on sale at Amazon during xmas, but they didn't have the 240hz in stock.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005

<3

lg-ultrafine-oled.jpeg

I think i found my new monitor.

But to LG.. ultra fine + OLED + Pro = $1000 per word which scares me.
I am also assuming they finally fixed the burn in issues they had with static screens.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003

<3

lg-ultrafine-oled.jpeg

I think i found my new monitor.

But to LG.. ultra fine + OLED + Pro = $1000 per word which scares me.
I am also assuming they finally fixed the burn in issues they had with static screens.
I couldn't find any info but since they don't mention refresh rate it is probably 60hz.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
^^Driving games and flight sims is where this form factor shines!

Thanks for posting the pics. It's a beautiful panel. What are you getting FPS wise in something like CP2077? I suppose I could just connect our 4K tv to it and find out. I'm at 6.3MP with triple 1080p 144hz panels and have been looking at this one and other similar ultra ultrawides. These were on sale at Amazon during xmas, but they didn't have the 240hz in stock.

With my GTX 1070 I do not get many fps, but I mostly play older games and World of Tanks, so it is manageable. Also with my GTX 1070 I cant run faster than 120hz @ 8 bit as it does not support DSC. Since the resolution is 7.3MP then probably ~10% more fps than 4K.

Reactions: thesmokingman

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
https://www.amd.com/en/support...
  • Some displays such as the Sceptre C series or Samsung™ Odyssey G9 series may experience an intermittent black screen on Radeon™ RX 6000 series graphics products.
  • The Samsung™ Odyssey G9 C49G95T may experience display or corruption issues when set to 5120x1440@240hz

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005

Can anyone confirm?

Fixed issues

The Samsung™ Odyssey G9 C49G95T may experience display or corruption issues when set to 5120x1440@240hz.

Some displays such as the Sceptre C series or Samsung™ Odyssey G9 series may experience an intermittent black screen on Radeon RX 6000 series graphics products.

I don't think that will be an issue since the newer model is the 97T. I'm also contemplating this monitor, I found it in stock at $1350, to compliment my XFX MERC 319 RX 6900 XT Black edition GPU. I'm staring at it right now but haven't dropped it into my cart yet. My current HP Envy 34c is 6 years old now and only refreshes at 60hz but it's been a great monitor.

If I do go ahead and purchase it then I'll have an excuse for some new speakers since I don't like to wear headphones all the time.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I keep having to push myself away from the Samsung G9, but my interest was piqued by one specific feature that I didn't realize that it had... split mode. Since the G9 is effectively just two WQHD panels in one (2560 + 2560 x 1440), it has the ability to be two 2560x1440 panels as long as you provide two inputs. This may seem weird... why even use a large display if you're going to treat it like two? Well, the lack of a bezel is quite nice. You can still do surround gaming as Windows will just look at it as two 2560x1440 monitors instead of one 5120x1440 monitor.

Now, to note, part of the reason why I'd consider this is that I don't have much experience with these huge monitors. How well does Windows handle them as a single monitor? I mostly just leave things like Chrome and IRC open on my second monitor. I know you can use split view to effectively halve a monitor (I use this on my touch screen kitchen PC a lot), but I don't know if that's a great solution for this.

Although, the lack of an actual G-Sync module is a bit of a downside for me, and that really tempers my desire. It seems like an awkward omission to leave out in such a pricey monitor.

the Windows Task Bar is the death of OLED Panels and burn in, as it sits there in the same position for almost all eternity your pc is on unless in full screen mode when gaming.

I was talking to a engineer at LG and they said that is the biggest reason why they didn't even bother with a OLED monitor.
They can't get past that stupid windows task bar and hold up customer satisfaction with warranty.

This isn't a great solution -- especially when dealing with your average consumer -- but if that was a concern (say I was using the 48" LG CX OLED TV), I would just set the task bar to auto-hide. Although, on that note, you'd still have an issue with icons. However, to be realistic, if programs are installed normally, hitting the Windows key, and just typing in the name is probably faster than hunting for it on the desktop. (I usually just start typing the name on the desktop, which auto-selects it for me.)