Discussion Samsung Odyssey G9

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Someone talk me out of this badboy... Im getting buyers itch / remorse not even ordering it, but it looks to me honestly like the perfect monitor.

Pros:
Ultra Mega Super Extreme Wide.... 5120x1440 pixels
240Hz while not being TN pannel.
QLED
HDR1000
49 Inches!! 44.4 inches wide, with a 1000R curve radius.
1ms response time.... absolutely amazing for a non TN panel.

Cons:
Because of the 1000R curve radius, it has a lot of forward weight which prevents most VESA mounts.
Its 44.4 inches wide which can cause issues of running out of desktop real estate.
I hear the old stock has issues with QC, but samsung fixed this and new stock is fixed.
Its a very expensive monitor.

So lets hear your thoughts on it.

FwFred

Sep 8, 2011
I just had mine delivered this week, September build from Samsung store (discount program). No stuck/dead pixels that I can find using the R/G/B/Bl/Wh screens. No obvious QC issues, but I'm not a HW reviewer. I've never had over a 60Hz display, so I'm feeling quite spoiled.

It's an excellent productivity monitor which doubles as a great gaming monitor. For work, my laptop's hdmi can't drive it properly but I bought a <$20 usb-c display port adapter, so I'm running it at 5120x1440@120Hz on a 4yo laptop.

For gaming, still learning my way around it. Waiting for my RTX 3080 to come this week to really push it. I need to find a way to fix it to 23:9 or 16:9 with black bars for older games which don't scale properly to 32:9. Looks fantastic at 32:9 in Star Wars Squadrons, even if my 1060 can't properly drive it.

Reactions: Herb Tarlek

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
I need to find a way to fix it to 23:9 or 16:9 with black bars for older games which don't scale properly to 32:9.

that is one of the things i am sort of worried about as well, i guess you could always run the game in windowed mode, but that would make the games which used side scrolling on mouse sort of difficult.

I am really sort of stuck in the gray line on this monitor... i really want it, and i really want to wait on it also.
The biggest negative i forgot to mention is i wish i was 1600p and not 1440p. But i guess adding that many more pixels would be too expensive on a monitor that size.

I am also assuming you are running the stock base, and not using the VESA mount. I would really like to have the monitor on a gas spring arm VESA mount if possible, but i hear from every reddit post, the monitor is just too heavy with the forward lean on that 1000R.

FwFred

Sep 8, 2011
I was using 27x16, but it hasn't been a problem yet losing vertical pixels. In most cases the extra width more than makes up for it as I can move windows to the extra real estate on the side. In VSCode I will full screen if needed and have two editor windows plus my terminal up. For other programs I use Fancy Zones to have a primary center workspace, with additional more narrow zones flanking on either side.

For gaming, there is a split screen mode but it would give you 16:9 only on left or right side, not centered, and I read it maxes at 60Hz in this mode. It would be nice if Samsung released a FW update to give us 23:9 and 16:9 modes with the full 240Hz.

YBS1

Golden Member
May 14, 2000
I'll be honest with you, the only hesitation I had about pulling the trigger on this monitor was the 5120 part of 5120x1440. If there was an identical model just as 21:9 3440x1440 I would have bought that. It was the only monitor that checked every other box I was looking for, it was simply pushing a bit more pixels than I wanted which in turn pretty much forces you to stay on the very tip top high end of GPU purchases and even then you may struggle to get the framerates you find acceptable. All in all though it's pretty awesome.

YBS1

Golden Member
May 14, 2000
For gaming, still learning my way around it. Waiting for my RTX 3080 to come this week to really push it. I need to find a way to fix it to 23:9 or 16:9 with black bars for older games which don't scale properly to 32:9. Looks fantastic at 32:9 in Star Wars Squadrons, even if my 1060 can't properly drive it.
You'll just need to go into your nVidia settings, disable scaling so it doesn't stretch the picture out to fit the screen and also likely have to create custom resolutions of 3440x1440 and 2560x1440.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
I'll be honest with you, the only hesitation I had about pulling the trigger on this monitor was the 5120 part of 5120x1440. If there was an identical model just as 21:9 3440x1440 I would have bought that. It was the only monitor that checked every other box I was looking for, it was simply pushing a bit more pixels than I wanted which in turn pretty much forces you to stay on the very tip top high end of GPU purchases and even then you may struggle to get the framerates you find acceptable. All in all though it's pretty awesome.
This (and at a lower price :p)

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
pretty much forces you to stay on the very tip top high end of GPU purchases and even then you may struggle to get the framerates you find acceptable

*Whistling...*

20201104-144552.jpg

I don't think i'll have gpu issues in my setup.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
i heard the 6800's are better miners, and well it also does not help that bitcoin went up to 15k.

Your not only going to have to fight scalpers, but also miners, which are far more worse then scalpers, because they hold abuse and literally snag ever last inventory they can towards a mining rig.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
This monitor seems quite nice, but at this price point you can get the 48-55" OLED TVs, which have far better image quality. I wouldn't spend that much on any LCD at this point in time. The extreme refresh rate seems great for competitive gaming, but a smaller screen is better for that purpose so you don't have to turn your head a lot.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
This monitor seems quite nice, but at this price point you can get the 48-55" OLED TVs, which have far better image quality. I wouldn't spend that much on any LCD at this point in time. The extreme refresh rate seems great for competitive gaming, but a smaller screen is better for that purpose so you don't have to turn your head a lot.

If you want a computer monitor that works both for gaming and work, you're not going to by a TV.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
If you want a computer monitor that works both for gaming and work, you're not going to by a TV.

The 48" one is pretty well suited for both purposes, and costs the same as the G9. It has better color accuracy than most LCD monitors except for some very expensive professional ones. In fact, there are actual PC monitors (like this) based on the same OLED panels now, but they cost 2-3x as much and make no sense to buy over the TV version.

Last edited:
Reactions: Elfear

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
OLED panels now

the Windows Task Bar is the death of OLED Panels and burn in, as it sits there in the same position for almost all eternity your pc is on unless in full screen mode when gaming.

I was talking to a engineer at LG and they said that is the biggest reason why they didn't even bother with a OLED monitor.
They can't get past that stupid windows task bar and hold up customer satisfaction with warranty.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
It seems to be caused by a combination of high brightness and the taskbar, not the taskbar by itself. If you keep the brightness low on the desktop, burn-in is much less likely. I find anything above 50-100 nits too bright for desktop use anyway. That Alienware monitor caps the brightness at 400 nits, half of what the TVs do. You can adjust the brightness yourself and use different profiles for the desktop and games, but I guess Alienware figured most consumers won't be diligent enough to do that.

_Rick_

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2012
the Windows Task Bar is the death of OLED Panels
I haven't had a static task bar in decades. Why waste the screen real estate? Auto-hide has been there since Win98 I think.
Title bars on the other hand - I don't see us getting rid of those in the near future, unless someone does a complete OLED-friendly re-skin of Windows (and why the hell not).

Socio

Golden Member
May 19, 2002

At the beginning yes, but that is also why I want one, it is going to take years for video cards to to be able to drive this monitor at 5120X1440 @240hz with maxed out settings in games so you should not need to upgrade this monitor for a very long time, but each video card upgrade will be worth it along the way.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
Damn you black friday..... Went from $1800 to $1350.... So I jumped the gun. Will only able to run it 120hz until I upgrade my videocard though.

Reactions: Elfear

Socio

Golden Member
May 19, 2002
FYI: It is listed on Amazon for a limited time at $1,189.99 for the model # LC49G95TSSNXZA not sure what that manufacturing date is for this one.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
page 26 of the user manual.