Samsung mSATA 256GB SSD low write speeds?

wpcoe

Nov 13, 2007
Recently bought a new Lenovo notebook with a Samsung MZMTE256HPHP-000L1 256GB mSATA SSD and am curious why the write speeds are in the ~250Mbps range, when other form factor Samsungs (like the SATA3 840 EVO I have) are in the ~500Mbps range. Read speed seems up to snuff, but not the write speeds.

I've run CrystalDiskMark, Anvil and AS-SSD benchmarks and they all report roughly the same:

as-ssd-bench%20SAMSUNG%20MZMTE256%208.22.2014%2012-06-01%20PM.png

wpcoe

Nov 13, 2007
Sorry if this is considered a "necro" thread, but I'm still curious about the low write speed PLUS the Samsung Magician software doesn't even consider the MZMTE256HMHP-000L1 to be a Samsung SSD?

samsung_magician.gif

One of the reasons I bought this notebook was the Samsung SSD. I have a Samsung 830 in another notebook and a Samsung 840 EVO in my desktop and they are stellar. This one in the Lenovo Yoga is "meh."

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
I'm going to guess it has some sort of proprietary Lenovo FM, which negates the fact that it's a Samsung drive.

Are your drivers up-to-date? Those speeds look more like a 128GB SSD, not a 256.

I've got a LiteOn SSD that was pulled from a Dell... it's locked down similar to yours.

wpcoe

Nov 13, 2007
What is Lenovo "FM"? Even if it's an OEM drive, shouldn't it still be identified as being Samsung by Samsung's own software? Magician identifies it with the Samsung model number under "Drive information." This is one drive I might be tempted to run Samsung Magician's RAPID mode.

As far as I know the drivers are up to date. Lenovo is not well known for offering updated drivers for its Yoga 2 Pro, and other than Windows Update, where should I be looking for drivers? Can't find any drivers on the samsung.com site, which would not be surprising for an OEM drive, I guess.

In a Google search looking for drivers, I found a Samsung Product web page which linked to a .pdf data sheet with these specs:
Code:
Host transfer rate:  600MB/s
   - Sequential Read :  Up to 540MB/s (256GB/512GB),
                        Up to 530MB/s (128GB)
   - Sequential Write :  Up to 380MB/s (512GB),
                         Up to 270MB/s (256GB) ,Up to 140MB/s(128GB)

So, I guess my drive is living up to Samsung's expectations, just not to mine.

Also found a YouTube video of a similar SSD (MZMTE256HMHP-000MV) in a Microsoft Surface Pro 3, and it pretty much matches my results: overall AS SSD benchmark score of 818. Darn.

Another linked .pdf file on that Samsung page shows performance specs for various form factors of the drive:

Code:
[u]Form Factor[/u]                         [u]2.5 inches[/u]     [u]mSATA[/u]        [u]M.2[/u]
Peak Read Sequential Performance  |               540 MB/s              |
Peak Write Sequential Performance |  410 MB/s  |  380 MB/s  | 365 MB/s  |

Is there something inherent with a form factor that limits the write speed?