Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
Isn't the v30 rated more durable ?
It has MIL-STD-810G shock rating as far as I am aware, besides that they're both IP 68 certified.

But let's be real here, the V30 isn't a direct competitor to the Note8, it's direct competition is the S8+. Unless LG snuck a Stylus inside the V30 when I wasn't looking anyone who is interested in the Note8 likely wouldn't give a damn about the V30. If they just want a large phone with good specs the S8+ has been out for months and has dropped below $650 a few times as well, far below the $799 V30 price or the $930 Note8 price.

Reactions: Red Storm

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
I'd be unhappy if I had to use anything else. So damn glad to have my S-pen back and a no compromise phone. Best smartphone I've ever had, nothing else comes close as far as me actually wanting to use it vs my N8.

Reactions: Chocu1a

Chocu1a

Golden Member
Jun 24, 2009
Loving the 8 so far. I am slowly warming up to the new Notes app. I was bummed they removed action memo, but kind of see where they combined both action memo and s-notes.
Low light/night camera shots are incredible. Haven't played with the 2nd camera yet. Really just getting everything set up how I like.
Battery life is great too. Got through my 10 hour day of normal usage with music streaming for a couple hours with 65%.
Screen is amazeballs. So pretty......lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Oyeve

Chocu1a

Golden Member
Jun 24, 2009
So, after turning off and disabling Bixby, I have to say, Touchwiz is a pure joy to use. It seems they included all the little nuances I used Nova Launcher for. Really, Samsung finally did something right. No complaints at all. Well, maybe 1 complaint- infinite scrolling on home screen, but really, I can live without that.

Reactions: Zaap

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000
friend of mine got the note 8. I guess you get half off for having been a note 7 owner or so she says.

It was a very very nice device. Honestly samsung devices feel great in hand, they have that edge taper thing down compared to LG where there is still a noticeable spot where the LCD and frame meet. Like I love how the S8 feels in hand when I use the one I have at work. If samsung made an s8 android one edition they could have my money

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
Yeah Note7 owners had $450 off the Note8 with ANY smartphone trade in. So there were people buying $5-15 old junker smartphones on ebay and sending them in for $450 off a Note8 since the Note7 was recalled, Note7 owners were able to use any working smartphone, regardless of age. Not a bad deal if you happened to be a part of the Note7 recall.

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
Yeah Note7 owners had $450 off the Note8 with ANY smartphone trade in. So there were people buying $5-15 old junker smartphones on ebay and sending them in for $450 off a Note8...
Well, not quite. I did the trade in with an old Galaxy S5, probably one of the least eligible phones for the maximum trade-in. Just for the record: the conditions were not just any old phone, there were only specific models accepted (Samsung, LG and Apple) and those had to be in perfect working condition with nothing but very minor cosmetic blemishes.

That is to say, I highly doubt anyone found a phone that actually qualified for the $420 max rebate on fleabay for $5 or $10. If so, the seller was delusional. :)

Just so there's no folklore spread that makes it sound like Samsung gave former Note 7 owners too good a deal! It was an okay deal, but not 'any old pos off eBay for $5!' good.

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
So, after turning off and disabling Bixby...
THIS x 1000!
How I can't stand that bixby button. That was a huge 'oh no they didn't!' right from the start. The placement of it is just rotten. I was constantly hitting it by accident and getting that dumb popup, interrupting media and killing dual pane apps.

But atleast now I can turn it off completely. Good riddance.

Dumb of Samsung to add it in the first place but at least they listened to the tidal wave of disklike for it and allowed it to be killed.

I don't even want to reassign it were that possible ...it'd just be something else popping up at stupid times.

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
The specifics terms and conditions suggest you SHOULD be sending in a decently valued phone, but just look online at some tech forums and you'll find several examples of people turning in cheap smartphones from years ago, as long as they turned on and were in working condition. And the terms and conditions never actually specified a device.
from a Forbes article regarding the Note7 upgrade.
What's not made clear on Samsung's redemption page is exactly what device you need to send them. An educated guess is that it's any smartphone that still works. The terms and conditions mention that Samsung will "determine the value" but honestly it would be really silly to punish people for sending in a less valuable phone.

From what i've seen online, no one who sent in a cheap phone had their discount reduced.

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
Sorry it was made crystal clear what exact smartphones Samsung would accept, and how much trade in value. (The trade-ins ranged from $200 to the full $425).

It was perfectly clear that a phone sent in that didn't meet the requirements for the trade in amounts would only be credited $25.

From here:
https://www.google.com/amp/www.zdne...note-7-owner-get-almost-half-off-on-a-note-8/

"If you choose to trade in one of the following smartphones, in good condition with normal wear and tear, that is factory reset, has a working display, and is not blacklisted, then Samsung will apply a $425 credit to your Note 8 purchase:

• Galaxy Note 5
  • Galaxy S7 or S7 Edge
  • Galaxy S5, S6, S6 Edge, or S6 Edge+
  • Apple iPhone 7 or 7 Plus
  • Apple iPhone SE, 5, 5S, 6, 6 Plus, 6S, or 6S Plus
  • Google Pixel or Pixel XL
  • LG G4, G5, G6, or V20
You cannot take advantage of carrier promotional pricing and must order your new Note 8 directly from the Samsung website. You have 15 days to return your trade-in device after your new Note 8 arrives and it must meet the eligibility requirements.

If your trade-in device is not in good condition, then Samsung may value it at just $25 and charge you the difference in value that you were credited when you purchased the Note 8."

It sounds to me like you're referening speculation before the promotion actually started.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
I was going to trade my s7e for a note8 but people ruined it by giving away and even SELLING their note7 trade promos and Samsung made a bunch of hoops to jump thru - one of which was providing the original receipt which I no longer have.

so I bought one from best buy and got $250 off plus a $100 gift card.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
sigh. Only considering unlocked version.
Yeah, it's lame the deal doesn't extend to the locked version, but it's because of the deals with the carriers. Best Buy is basically helping subsidize it.

I bought a Verizon one, flashed the unlocked FW immediately after getting it home and have it running on my T-Mobile account.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
Interesting the boot loader is not locked on the note 8 ? Oh I see you used the samsung FW for the flash. I guess all samsung phones (snapdragon version) will take all FW.

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
Oreo update was finally pushed out to the T-Mobile Note 8s today.
Got it on the Note 8. I'm sure something is different somewhere.

Honestly, the ONLY thing I've noticed -without yet resorting to looking up a rundown of what's different in Oreo- is that when I went to look up the version number in settings- the way that info is laid out has changed.

Other than that- I couldn't tell ya. Phone performs exactly the same for me which is good.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Got it on the Note 8. I'm sure something is different somewhere.

Honestly, the ONLY thing I've noticed -without yet resorting to looking up a rundown of what's different in Oreo- is that when I went to look up the version number in settings- the way that info is laid out has changed.

Other than that- I couldn't tell ya. Phone performs exactly the same for me which is good.
You'll notice badges will probably not work like before.

Chocu1a

Golden Member
Jun 24, 2009
Downloading now on my unlocked 8. Taking forEVAR, though.

*revisit

So, after the update to Oreo, my battery life has become incredible. I have gone 13 hours of normal workday usage and I am still sitting at 69%. Normally this time of the day I would be at around 19%, and that's if I didn't have to put it on the charger before then.

Last edited: