Samsung Chromebook Pro/Plus

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Didn't see any thread on this, anyone seen this yet?

http://www.androidcentral.com/samsung-chromebook-plus

I personally can't wait to get one. It's amazing that by adding Android apps to Chrome OS, my most wanted laptop/tablet is a ~$500 machine, compared to only a year or so ago when I wanted a ~$1000+ ultrabook. The screen, stylus, and Android apps are what did it for me. I can fold the keyboard back and I've got my own Note tablet again. I really dislike the way the pen works on the Surface, I want to use it as a substitute for my finger, but for some reason Windows thinks all I would ever want to do outside of a writing app is highlight text.

I only wish it came with more internal storage, but 32GB internal will suffice for the few apps I'll throw on there, and the mSD can take care of any extra local data but I doubt I'd even use that much.

KeithP

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2000
They definitely look interesting. Hopefully the floodgates will open and we will see more Chromebooks shipping with the Play store soon. Although it looks like we will need to wait a bit longer until spring.

-KeithP

Yakk

Golden Member
May 28, 2016
The dual app stores looks to be great. If you need it Android Office is also getting up to par (except Outlook which is still a mess).

This is definitely on my buy list!

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
It's interesting that it seems like the future of non-cheapo Android tablets is actually Chromebooks. Would be cool to see a Chromebook with a keyboard cover like the Surface, or the magnetic keyboard cover of the Pixel C.

Reactions: KeithP

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Somewhere, a Microsoft executive is panicking. Chromebooks were already something of a threat, but Microsoft's worst nightmare is Chromebooks powerful enough to genuinely replace low-end laptops for many people. The Chromebook Pro in particular looks like a good pick to me.

Yakk

Golden Member
May 28, 2016
Somewhere, a Microsoft executive is panicking. Chromebooks were already something of a threat, but Microsoft's worst nightmare is Chromebooks powerful enough to genuinely replace low-end laptops for many people. The Chromebook Pro in particular looks like a good pick to me.

For $500 you get a very slim, great looking slick high resolution convertable tablet with very good battery life. For working on the road and using this as a tablet this will great.

This could explain why Samsung has not released a Galaxy Tab refresh.

amyklai

Nov 11, 2008
From what I can tell, the specs of the $499 model would be called low-to-mid-range if it were an Android phone, I'm a bit sceptical if it'll be fast enough for this Chrome / Android combo (the ARM version has only 2 GB of RAM, contrary to what the article linked article says) , especially when multitasking windowed apps.

Also, I can't see battery life mentioned anywhere.

Yakk

Golden Member
May 28, 2016
There's the Chromebook Plus and the Chromebook Pro versions with different cpus. Battery life expected around 8 hours.

http://www.droid-life.com/2017/01/04/samsung-chromebook-pro-plus/

On paper, each Chromebook is exactly the same, with exception to the processor used. The Chromebook Pro and Plus feature a 12.3″ LED touchscreen display (2400×1600), 4GB LPDDR3 Memory, 32GB e.MMC hard drive, 39Wh battery (around 8 hours of life), 720p webcam, two USB Type-C ports, SD card support, included stylus, and access to Google Play for using all of your favorite Android apps.

For that processor difference, the Chromebook Pro uses an Intel Core M3 Processor 6Y30, while the Chromebook Plus uses an ARM OP1 hexa-core processor designed specifically for Chromebook machines.

Last edited:

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
I grabbed a 4 gig Samsung Chromebook for $125 for my daughter for Christmas. It's a bit of a slug when it comes to anything app related. I *want* to like the Chromebook format and think it can be a great platform. But the experience isn't there yet. Comparing web browsing on that vs. a 5 year old Mac Book Air is night and day. I'll take the MBA any day. Chromebooks need to be faster.

Yakk

Golden Member
May 28, 2016
Interesting, my kids go to a 1:1 Chromebook school where each child has their own Chromebook and do all schoolwork on them and I'm constantly surprised on how smooth the whole experience is. They use Intel celeron CPUs.

I can compare this to my Dell Precision M4800 i7 workstation laptop/desktop replacement and MBP.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
I grabbed a 4 gig Samsung Chromebook for $125 for my daughter for Christmas. It's a bit of a slug when it comes to anything app related. I *want* to like the Chromebook format and think it can be a great platform. But the experience isn't there yet. Comparing web browsing on that vs. a 5 year old Mac Book Air is night and day. I'll take the MBA any day. Chromebooks need to be faster.

Comparing a $125 bargain chromebook to a macbook air isn't a fair comparison. I don't care how old the mac is, not the same class. I'm not saying that chromebooks don't need work, but you got a low end one and got what you paid for. I'm not going to expect ipad performance from a $50 Kindle Fire tablet, and I certainly wouldn't expect macbook air performance from a $125 chromebook

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Comparing a $125 bargain chromebook to a macbook air isn't a fair comparison. I don't care how old the mac is, not the same class. I'm not saying that chromebooks don't need work, but you got a low end one and got what you paid for. I'm not going to expect ipad performance from a $50 Kindle Fire tablet, and I certainly wouldn't expect macbook air performance from a $125 chromebook

Yeah there are tiers to Chromebooks as well, just like with other laptops.

What I find crazy is that given the choice between a Macbook Pro, a Surface Book, and a Chromebook Pro, I would pick the Chromebook Pro. Not a big fan of Windows, Mac OS doesn't do touch, and while Windows does, it doesn't do touch very well (especially with the pen), and both are ridiculously expensive compared to the Chromebook Pro.

Roland00Address

Platinum Member
Dec 17, 2008
and both are ridiculously expensive compared to the Chromebook Pro.

We have no clue what the chromebook pro price will be. The chromebook pro will use core m3 processor. No price has been announced.

The chromebook plus will use an arm core, one that has a cortex a72 dual core+cortex a53 quad core. This one will start at $449 for the cheapest sku.

amyklai

Nov 11, 2008
Yeah there are tiers to Chromebooks as well, just like with other laptops.

What I find crazy is that given the choice between a Macbook Pro, a Surface Book, and a Chromebook Pro, I would pick the Chromebook Pro. Not a big fan of Windows, Mac OS doesn't do touch, and while Windows does, it doesn't do touch very well (especially with the pen), and both are ridiculously expensive compared to the Chromebook Pro.

IDK, if you look for sales, you can get an m3 Surface Pro 4 for about 699.
The Chromebook Plus will be 499, the Pro will be a bit more expensive, so the price delta isn't that big.

BTW, Windows does touch and handwriting recognition pretty damn well. The SP4's stylus is a bit worse for artists than the iPad Pro's pen, but Samsung's Pen definitely is worse than that (at least the one in my 10.1 2014 Galaxy Note definitely is)

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
We have no clue what the chromebook pro price will be. The chromebook pro will use core m3 processor. No price has been announced.

The chromebook plus will use an arm core, one that has a cortex a72 dual core+cortex a53 quad core. This one will start at $449 for the cheapest sku.

The Pro is going to cost $550, it was stated in an interview at CES. Link below:

https://chromeunboxed.com/ces-2017-samsung-chromebook-pro-price-announced/

The only difference between the two models will be the CPU. Honestly if they never even announced the Pro I'd be fine with the Plus, but might as well get the better CPU.

BTW, Windows does touch and handwriting recognition pretty damn well. The SP4's stylus is a bit worse for artists than the iPad Pro's pen, but Samsung's Pen definitely is worse than that (at least the one in my 10.1 2014 Galaxy Note definitely is)

Regarding the pen, what I meant is that with Samsung devices, the pen acts as an extension of your finger. It acts the same as a finger when you're doing stuff that's not writing/drawing. On the Surface, try browsing the web with the Pen. The simple act of scrolling the page doesn't work, for some reason they think highlighting text is all you want to do with the pen. On Note devices I like to use the pen to navigate my device and browse the web. It's almost like a mouse in that you can precisely tap on elements of a webpage compared to your finger.

It's a very simple thing, but makes a noticeable difference. Similar to the trackpad on a Mac compared to Windows. On a Mac, you can switch desktops very quickly and efficiently with the trackpad, where your fingers are already resting. In Windows 10, you have to do this via keyboard shortcuts, which is dumb.

Last edited:

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999

Well it's a Samsung 3 Chromebook and it's normally $180. It was just a blackfriday deal at that price. So not a rockbottom cheapie. Point is that I found Chrome to be a pretty laggy and slow even with 4 gig of RAM. Early reviews are already saying that stylus was laggy on this device. It's just not polished enough of a platform for me. I'd love to see it develop though. It's a promising platform that has a ton of value and utility.

Roland00Address

Platinum Member
Dec 17, 2008
The Pro is going to cost $550, it was stated in an interview at CES. Link below:

https://chromeunboxed.com/ces-2017-samsung-chromebook-pro-price-announced/

The only difference between the two models will be the CPU. Honestly if they never even announced the Pro I'd be fine with the Plus, but might as well get the better CPU.
Thank you for that information, it was not stated in the original CES unveiling on the 4th and the 5th, I wanted the information then when I heard about the device and was disappointed that Samsung did not mention the price for the core m3 yet had no problems mentioning the price for the arm / cheapest sku. Your link is dated the 7th, I am glad that Samsung finally decided to release the intended price and not play the cagey game of managing expectations and not reveal too much information to competitors.

CES is a consumer show if your device is not just a tech demo demonstrating a new use of a technology (but label the device a concept device), then its goal should be to demonstrate a product that is about to hit the market. I am tired of too much vaporware at CES.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
So I noticed my local Best Buy had three Chromebook Plus's in stock, so I went to go check them out. A random employee walking around was of no help when I asked him to see one, he said they weren't available until next week. I showed him what their site says, then went back and checked and found out that yes, they did have them, just hadn't put them out yet. So I was able to buy one. I have stated that I was waiting for the Pro, but I read that the Plus (with its ARM processor) would be more compatible with Android apps, so that might be something that actually pushed me towards the Plus rather than the Pro.

Physically, it is a really nice device. Feels very light, but not flimsy at all. The display is gorgeous, especially once you change out of the default 1200x800 setting. Love the squarish display, good for browsing and documenting.

One problem I have experienced is with the trackpad. It is super sensitive, so if you're two finger scrolling a page, and you lift your fingers it sometimes registers this as a fast scroll up, so you lose your place on the page. Annoying for sure, but I adjusted fairly quickly to it.

The Android apps side definitely needs some work, and the beta tag makes lots of sense. I haven't run into issues installing apps yet (though Telltale's Batman is not showing up in the Play Store to even try to install it), but I do see issues using some apps. OneNote for example does not properly fill up the display when rotating to portrait view.

All in all, I am very happy with the device thus far, but I think I am still going to go with the Pro. I thought maybe the Plus would do it for me, but it's a tad bit too slow when dealing with many tabs and Android apps running in the background.

Reactions: anky and Yakk

Yakk

Golden Member
May 28, 2016
So I noticed my local Best Buy had three Chromebook Plus's in stock, so I went to go check them out. A random employee walking around was of no help when I asked him to see one, he said they weren't available until next week. I showed him what their site says, then went back and checked and found out that yes, they did have them, just hadn't put them out yet. So I was able to buy one. I have stated that I was waiting for the Pro, but I read that the Plus (with its ARM processor) would be more compatible with Android apps, so that might be something that actually pushed me towards the Plus rather than the Pro.

Physically, it is a really nice device. Feels very light, but not flimsy at all. The display is gorgeous, especially once you change out of the default 1200x800 setting. Love the squarish display, good for browsing and documenting.

One problem I have experienced is with the trackpad. It is super sensitive, so if you're two finger scrolling a page, and you lift your fingers it sometimes registers this as a fast scroll up, so you lose your place on the page. Annoying for sure, but I adjusted fairly quickly to it.

The Android apps side definitely needs some work, and the beta tag makes lots of sense. I haven't run into issues installing apps yet (though Telltale's Batman is not showing up in the Play Store to even try to install it), but I do see issues using some apps. OneNote for example does not properly fill up the display when rotating to portrait view.

All in all, I am very happy with the device thus far, but I think I am still going to go with the Pro. I thought maybe the Plus would do it for me, but it's a tad bit too slow when dealing with many tabs and Android apps running in the background.

Thanks for the quick review, I was looking at this Chromebook, but it having Beta Android apps status is telling me to wait a bit. Hardware looks good and ready, but the software isn't quite there yet for a premium product.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Thanks for the quick review, I was looking at this Chromebook, but it having Beta Android apps status is telling me to wait a bit. Hardware looks good and ready, but the software isn't quite there yet for a premium product.

Yeah, supposedly when the Pro launches is when it comes out of beta. Right now the Android version on the Plus is Marshmallow (6.x), when the Pro comes out it should be upgraded to Nougat (7.x).

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
How much can a Chromebook do without an internet connection (assuming these are not LTE-capable, and I don't think they are)? I currently have a Z10 with LTE and a Bluetooth keyboard, so what advantage would this machine provide over that?

Edit:
On the Surface, try browsing the web with the Pen. The simple act of scrolling the page doesn't work, for some reason they think highlighting text is all you want to do with the pen.
Surface Pen works as a mouse cursor. Not a finger substitute. Never did, wasn't designed that way. I think it's slightly more convenient to navigate with the stylus, but I actually prefer the way Microsoft designed stylus input on Windows.

Last edited:

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
How much can a Chromebook do without an internet connection (assuming these are not LTE-capable, and I don't think they are)? I currently have a Z10 with LTE and a Bluetooth keyboard, so what advantage would this machine provide over that?

You get the benefits of Chrome OS (full desktop level Chrome browser with extensions, lightweight OS that boots up very fast, very secure, easily accommodates multiple users via their Google Accounts) plus you can also run Android apps. So while even a lot of Google services are useable even offline now, you can install Android apps and use them offline.

Surface Pen works as a mouse cursor. Not a finger substitute. Never did, wasn't designed that way. I think it's slightly more convenient to navigate with the stylus, but I actually prefer the way Microsoft designed stylus input on Windows.

While the Chromebook Plus stylus doesn't have the side button, on Galaxy Note devices you do have that, so you can easily use the stylus as a finger or mouse cursor. I think Microsoft took the wrong approach, especially on a device they tout as a tablet. You scroll / use your finger a lot more than you highlight text.

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
Can't wait to get my hands on one and test it out. It might make a great replacement for my Galaxy Pro 12.2 Tablet- even though that is still getting the job done.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
You get the benefits of Chrome OS (full desktop level Chrome browser with extensions, lightweight OS that boots up very fast, very secure, easily accommodates multiple users via their Google Accounts) plus you can also run Android apps. So while even a lot of Google services are useable even offline now, you can install Android apps and use them offline.

Well, desktop-level Chrome is the only advantage IMO it offers over a normal tablet. Mobile Chrome is shit without an adblock. Are they LTE capable?

While the Chromebook Plus stylus doesn't have the side button, on Galaxy Note devices you do have that, so you can easily use the stylus as a finger or mouse cursor. I think Microsoft took the wrong approach, especially on a device they tout as a tablet. You scroll / use your finger a lot more than you highlight text.
Well, as I mentioned, it's a mouse replacement. Tapping is the same as a click, holding is a right click. You wouldn't scroll with your mouse by clicking somewhere on the page and moving the mouse, right? You gotta change the expectations with a Windows tablet.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2004
These look ok but if you're able to replace a Surface Pro with an Android tablet then you aren't doing anything that warranted the Surface Pro in the first place so acting surprised that a ~$500 tablet could accomplish it is pretty silly. Frankly you should be more surprised that it took so long for a company to make a device like this. Hell, I think its crazy that the Pixel tablet doesn't come with a decent stylus and that the only way it would have made sense is if it was a ChromeOS/Android hybrid. Personally I've been wondering why we didn't see Apple make the iPad come with a digitizer from the start and much better interoperability between iOS and OSX

This device epitomizes why Android tablets have largely failed and why iPad sales have stagnated. Its a mix of good stylus input and straddling smartphones/PCs that makes this form factor. Its so blatantly obvious, and most people seemed to see it when Microsoft was absolutely excoriated for it on their crappy UMPCs they tried ~10 years ago. Yet somehow people rarely ever, in fact often defended Apple and Google deliberately not doing it while also criticizing Microsoft for the Surface line for trying to (and why despite everyone saying how stupid it was, the Surface line has actually turned into a success for Microsoft and even effectively set the tone as 2-in-1s became popular). Its another one of those ways that I've found even tech-minded people can be completely baffling in their hatred for some things that are often based on nonsense (I'm not saying there haven't been valid criticisms, but generally those aren't even brought up, just blanket "that's stupid, Microsoft is stupid for even trying, Apple and Google should stay away from it!" mentality that I've seen). I always thought the natural progression of netbooks would be into that. But much like how it felt that mobile OSes effectively set back a lot of software (especially web development) back 15-20 years as we waited for them to mature to the point of real feasibility, I just shook my head as companies made weird half-baked stuff (that often would have some initial success but fade fairly quickly or at least stagnate) and then wondered why they couldn't get things going.

And for the person saying (sorry for some reason kept getting errors when trying to quote) that the Surface Pen doesn't work like they want, that's both intentional (if you wanted it to just be a simple capacitive stylus, you have tons of options there) and I'm reasonably sure you could tweak it to function more like you want. I never had too much issue web browsing (with Firefox, which I believe Edge has some tweaks to make it more suitable for the pen), my only real problem was the right click, since it was sensitive enough that any stylus change screwed it up, but then I think you could set the side button as that (might've been that way).

I can't recall, but has Google officially said they're basically working to sorta merge ChromeOS and Android? Because that's a necessary step or else this will end up like the Note and those early Android tablets with the keyboards, ok but too halfbaked to evolve and coupled with the wonky way Google handles software development (even if Google does say they're integrating them to each other, we'll probably get announcement 2-3 years later that they're splitting them and deprecating one, only to get another announcement 2-3 years after that saying they're releasing an entirely new OS that's completely from the ground up different, but we'll have to wait a while for feature parity to either one), will get passed on as people just stick to Chromebooks and Android phones.

Last edited: