Samsung C27FG70 How is the picture quality on this quantum dot monitor?

Laststop311

Apr 24, 2013
So yea this monitor is only 1920x1080 but i don't really require 1440. Picture quality is more important to me and with 2560x1440 at 27 inches I have to use DPI scaling which really negates the resolution benefit and introduces problems. I need 30+ inches for that resolution. This monitor has everything else tho. 3000:1 static contrast, high viewing angles, 144hz refresh, AMD freesync and quantum dots to improve color. It also has a really high quality stand that allows a lot of adjustment with ease. I've never seen it in person. Do the quantum dots actually provide a noticeable increase in color fidelity or is it marketing BS. I know it's not as good as OLED but image burn in is still a problem in using it as a pc monitor, the taskbar will burn in. I am a fan of the VA monitors like this one due to their superior blacks vs IPS or TN giving it a much higher static contrast ratio. I have a 60hz 27" VA monitor now but I would like to go to 144hz with my new PC. How good would this monitor be?

Laststop311

Apr 24, 2013
I also forgot to add what is the compatible refresh range for freesync on this monitor as the ranges can differ from monitor to monitor and I cannot find this information for this specific monitor. Also I just had a chat with some indian guy from samsung tech support and he was retarded. I asked him the working freesync range for the monitor and he told me it works at 60hz. Huh how is freesync useful if it only works at one single refresh rate. So i have to get 60 fps exactly or it wont work umm no that totally defeats the purpose of freesync. Then he said oh it works at 70hz to 144hz. How is that helpful? If i can get 70+ fps how much is freesync actually helping me, not much. Freesync shines between 30hz and 60hz. Though a lot of monitors dont support it till 40hz.

Does anyone have this answer and can back the answer up with verifiable proof? This 1 is a stumper.

Last edited:

Bacon1

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2016
Then he said oh it works at 70hz to 144hz. How is that helpful? If i can get 70+ fps how much is freesync actually helping me, not much. Freesync shines between 30hz and 60hz. Though a lot of monitors dont support it till 40hz.

Even if it only worked 70-144 (which I doubt, its probably 30 or 40-144), you'd get LFC which would double frames under 70 (or w/e the real low range is) so you'd never be outside the freesync range and thus never get tearing. So if you had 30 fps you'd have 60hz with every frame doubled. Same thing GSync does when it gets low.

Laststop311

Apr 24, 2013
I think I may give this monitor a go. The contrast ratio is superb and the quantum dots should really make the colors nice. I actually prefer higher frame rate 1080 vs 1440 for gaming, so I don't mind the full hd resolution.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
How is the pixel response time on this monitor? On the BenQ 3200PT I just got, I definitely notice a "slowish" pixel response time when reading web pages for example. I don't really notice while gaming, but it's definitely noticeable while browsing or text editing.

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
I have read that this specific monitor has some ghosting and purple shift issues, but haven't really looked into it. This came up in threads talking about the QD C34FG791 with people asking if that panel had the same issue, which all owners seemed to indicate it did not. I'd dig around a bit more if I were you.

Headfoot

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2008
i have a Samsung VA quantum dot TV (KS8000), and it looks fantastic in both colors and blacks. I imagine they're using the same tech in this monitor. IMO the quantum dot thing not only makes up the color gap between IPS and VA, I think a VA with quantum dots far exceeds the color quality of IPS. I have both and use both daily. The quantum dot model really does just look much better than other 4k screens without the feature. I didnt really realize it until I watched something on another earlier 2014 4k LG LCD TV and kept trying to figure out why it looked so dull.

The quantum dot layer or something else Samsung is doing must help with off angle viewing on VA because the KS8000 has much better off angle response than any other VA i've seen

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
LG LCDs look dull anyway because they're IPS and have poor contrast ratios to all other premium TVs.

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
This year Sony and Panasonic will be making consumer OLEDs, albeit with LGD's panels. The Dell OLED monitor that was announced last year was a Samsung OLED panel but was cancelled due to problems.

Headfoot

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2008
Aren't the they only game in town for consumer OLED TVs? :p
I thought Sony made some OLEDs way back in the day but they had enough problems that they never rolled it out for TVs, just smaller screens. I seem to recall they made one of those super expensive ($20k) video production reference monitors on OLED a while back

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
IIRC yeah they made a 25" screen but it wasn't really a consumer item I think, more for "pros".
From what I've read, starting this year they are going to use LG OLED panels to make their consumer TVs.

Reactions: Headfoot