Question Samsung 970 EVO Plus or 970 Pro?

RhoXS

Aug 14, 2010
I am planning a new build that will be based on an Intel I9-10900K and an Asus Z490m-Plus mobo. My first priority is reliability so that precludes overclocking. My second, and still very high priority is lightning fast speed - at least as fast as I can make it using the CPU I just referenced.

The cost of either the M.2 970 EVO or the 970 PRO drives are not unreasonable so I plan to include a new 1 TB drive. The question is, considering reliability is a higher priority than speed but speed is why I am planning to build a new machine, what is the better choice; EVO Plus or PRO? Samsung specifies the same MTBF for both drives and the same controller. Although the EVO Plus writes about 22% faster it is only 70% the cost of the PRO. If this is indeed the case, why would anyone buy the PRO? It is also counter intuitive that the older drives, like the 960 series are selling for significantly more than the current faster 970 series.

I have the ability to buy whatever is the best choice but it is certainly not clear to me how to choose between the PRO and EVO.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
There are plenty of reviews of the 970 EVO, EVO PLUS, and PRO. You can read any of them, and know the exact differences between the drives you mentioned.
If this is indeed the case, why would anyone buy the PRO?
Because it is basically the only current SSD that uses MLC NAND.

I have the ability to buy whatever is the best choice but it is certainly not clear to me how to choose between the PRO and EVO.
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/samsung-970-pro-ssd-review,5572-3.html

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
If you want ultimate speed go sabrent rocket gen4.
They literally blow the sammys away in speed, until samsung develops gen4.

Reactions: Shmee

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
If you want ultimate speed go sabrent rocket gen4.
They literally blow the sammys away in speed, until samsung develops gen4.
But they are going with an Intel Z490 motherboard, so PCIe Gen 4 for them! ;)

Maybe the next CPU release next year will enable it as I've read that most of the boards are PCIe 4 ready (and Intel reportedly dropped it late in development stage).