Samsung 970 EVO m.2 and MB/CPU compatibility questions

LifePincher

Dec 5, 2015
It will be 6 years since my last build. It's about time for a new one.

Going to be buying a 970 ssd. I'm trying to hold out for at least the Intel 9600 cpu and an Nvidia 2060 gpu as well when they surface.

Now when it comes to the MB, will it have to be a new one? I'd rather go the new route that's totally compatible with the 3 components listed out of the box with no updates, bios or otherwise, required. Is this going to be a waiting game? I have mths to spare :)

Not build 'till the beginning of next year.

Components bought so far........ Evga PSU, Phanteks Enthoo Luxe, Win 10 and a Pioneer blu-ray burner

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Yes it will need to be one of the new chipsets, like the Z390 to guarantee that it will support the CPU out of the box. If you buy a current motherboard like the Z370, it will likely not have the latest BIOS updates, and you will not be able to boot.

Now there are some high-end motherboards, like some of the Asus models, that allow an user to update the BIOS via a USB drive without a CPU installed (or supported). If you get one of those, you can update the BIOS to support the new CPU.

RLGL

Platinum Member
Jan 8, 2013
I have a 960 and a 970 EVO on an Asrock Z370 board. No issues, drives were recognized with the first release bios file

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
970 Evo will be fine, motherboard wise. Driver wise, I should mention an issue I have come across with builds including a Samsung 970 series SSD and windows 10 1803. It installs fine, but be sure to install the samsung NVMe driver right away after windows install, otherwise upon restart due to windows updates or other driver installations, windows will brick itself, continually BSODing and need to be reinstalled. I have not heard of this issue on with other NVMe drives, only the 970 series.

As mentioned, a 9th gen CPU in a Z370 will need a bios update.