Samsung 960 Pro vs Intel 750 Questions

weaslefluff

Aug 14, 2014
I'm planning a pretty over the top build for no other reason than I can. It will be used for basic stuff, as well as gaming and some coding/compiling and probably running a few virtual guests.

Which is better - a 1TB 960 Pro or an 800GB 750? They are about the same price. I see the record breaking numbers on the 960, but the 750 has better random numbers. I understand both are overkill for my application, but which way would you go?

Any input is appreciated.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004

I've also been fretting over choices and possibilities, holding off the actual purchase of anything more than a regular SATA SSD.

There is an Intel 750 that looks like a thick SSD, cabled with the PCI-Express three-plug adapter that would fit current-gen motherboards with Intel chipsets and rob you of two potential ports for regular SATA SSD operation. Then there is the PCI-E slot option, removing a slot from your future or current choice of SLI or some other use. And then -- the M.2 NVMe card.

I have to ask myself which type of NVMe device is the easiest to clone and replace. Or -- would I want a dual-boot OS of some 4+ partitions/volumes on the same M.2 device -- or any SSD device for that matter.

then, there's price, size and availability. for me, if I'm going to install two versions of Windows to the same drive, I want a 1TB version over a 512MB version. You could pick up a 512MB or 1TB Intel 600P with a lower performance spec than a Samsung 950 Pro or the 960 models we're still waiting to see in reseller inventories. What are you going to do with it next year, if you absolutely positively have to have the extra Samsung throughput spec?

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
In my world, only the 2.5-in drive FF can be easily moved from desktop to laptop and vice versa.

dj4005

Oct 19, 1999
At the beginning of the year, I decided to build a kick-butt machine using the I-750 (1 TB) only to find that it could not be used to boot on my Gigabyte mobo. There WERE some Asus mobos that it WOULD work with, but I had already purchased the mobo.

As the money had already been spent on the I-750, I purchased a Samsung SM951 (256 G) as a boot drive.

The combo makes for a killer machine in terms of speed, as well as quietness and coolness (no spinning drives). I've been running nearly 11 months on the combo and could NOT be happier!

Your mileage may vary...

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
If your use is gaming and otherwise more basic, I would go for the 1TB 960 Pro. You get more storage, and performance under your typical load should be a bit better unless it is a very heavy load.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I'm still waiting for the 960 Pro to be released. I'm looking at getting the 512GB as an OS / App drive. Newegg and Amazon were originally showing mid Nov. release. Now it shows mid Jan.

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
I'm still waiting for the 960 Pro to be released. I'm looking at getting the 512GB as an OS / App drive. Newegg and Amazon were originally showing mid Nov. release. Now it shows mid Jan.

I preordered a 1TB 960 Pro directly from Snamsug when the ship by promise was 11/18. Call me sceptical, but I sincerely doubt I'll be receiving a drive by Friday. I would be surprised if I got it before the second half of December.

OP, I would pick the 960 over the 750 any day but if you want to build this rig soon, are you willing to wait until Snamsug gets their stuff together? At this point they appear to have blown the release date by the months.