Samsung 8500, is it any good?

ManSnake

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 2000
I am planning on getting the Samsung 8500 for my Sprint PCS service plan, is this phone any good? What are the pros and cons? Thanks for your advice!

Sluggo

Lifer
Jun 12, 2000
I have one, but right after I bought it, I found one at CompUSA I liked better :(

Touchpoint 1100

It was a bit smaller, about the same battery life, and had a display on the front, so you dont have to open the phone to see who is calling. Plus it was CHEAPER $129

But to answer your question, the 8500 is great, awesome battery life, tons of features that go unused :) good reception. The only bad things are, due to the design a leather case is a waste of money, and I seem to drop this phone ALL the time, the antenna gets caught on my pocket when I am pulling it out, and it goes flying :)

AznMaverick

Platinum Member
Apr 4, 2001
I live in hawaii and just got my samsung 8500 last week. I was told that it had the best reception and was the clearest out of all PCS phones out there. However, i've come to find that the reception really sux0rs. Sometimes i cant even get a good signal at my own home! In addition to this, in the past week i've had 5 calls dropped already. One at the mall, 2 at my house, one at the university, and the last in another mall. I want to try that signal booster, but people around here say that thing doesn't work...

Hope i wuz a little help.

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
I don't think Spint offers Nokia, I have the Sanyo 4500, the reception is great, and I love the full duplex speaker phone. I always break flip phones.

duke

Golden Member
Nov 22, 1999
This phone is cool. Tons of features. I could tell you all about it, but you might rather like to read the reviews yourself on www.epinions.com

Hint- Don't even try to use is phone while you are driving, especially a stick. The flip is kinda hard to open one handed.

Doggiedog

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
I got one for my wife. It is pretty nice. Lots of neat features like voice dialing but I prefer my Nokia 8260 better. I prefer the 8260's size and the fact that it has SMS which I use often.

tontod

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
I have the 8500, and I like it. The reception is not as good as I'd like, sometimes I get roaming right at home, and I get dropped calls calling from home. Kind of annoying since I bought the phone partly so I could use it at home. I think, though that has more to do with Sprint PCS service rather than the phone itself. Sometimes I also get roaming where there should be sprint pcs service. But I like the fact that it is nationwide. I live in CT, and went down to Atlanta this past weekend, and it was nice that I could use the sprint pcs service to call home.