Question Samsung 840 Writing at 100mb/s

jimmysofat6864

May 3, 2021
I bought my Samsung 840 SSD on eBay and for some reason, it is writing much slower than I thought it should. The read speeds are at 400-500mb/s but the write is lower than I thought. CrystalDiskInfo says the drive health is at 89 so does anybody have any ideas on why it's running slower?

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
I bought my Samsung 840 SSD on eBay and for some reason, it is writing much slower than I thought it should. The read speeds are at 400-500mb/s but the write is lower than I thought. CrystalDiskInfo says the drive health is at 89 so does anybody have any ideas on why it's running slower?

Post a picture of the Samsung Magician page showing the information for the drive.

Reactions: solidsnake1298

Micrornd

Golden Member
Mar 2, 2013
Based on the Samsung Magician info (name, firmware, etc.), you purchased a Samsung 840. This is an early model unit that was later succeeded by the 840 EVO and 840 Pro.
While the 840 EVO and 840 Pro generally can be expected to have sequential write speeds in the 480 MB/s range, the 840 is generally in the 190 MB/s range new.
As to improving it's performance (if running Windows) -
Make sure you have AHCI enabled for that drive.
In Device manager, check the drive's "Policies" to make sure the "Better Performance" box is checked.
In Samsung Magician, under "Performance Optimization", if "Rapid Mode" is available, enable it and if "Trim Status" is available enable it and then click on "Optimize Drive"
That is a lot of write to an early model Samsung (although it probably has a lot left), you may want to consider looking into a newer (less used) drive.

razel

Platinum Member
May 14, 2002
840s non-EVO's write speed especially for that drive capacity is correct.

Next time do a basic google search or even a search on Anandtech reviews for the drive itself.

CakeMonster

Golden Member
Nov 22, 2012
I would not enable Rapid unless you have the technical knowhow to be sure you have an advantage from it. It can mess up saving files if your computer crashes.

The 840 is rather old by now but with the latest firmware (important!) its real world performance should be just fine still, especially the larger versions.