Samsung 840 Evo Discussion Thread

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
You can't. The entire post made no sense.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...&SID=u00000687

^ 59.00 1TB HDD...

he got close.. :thumbsup:

however most likely when u gut it... u void all warranty.

I for one welcome the larger capacity ssd's and would like to replace all of my spinners with them.

+1 i want a 4TB SSD which costs equal ground to a 4TB Spinner!
Then i could replace all the spinners in my NAS. :\

All my desktop stations + Laptops are on SSD's now.
120gigers are awesome for normal usage.

Last edited:

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
You can't. The entire post made no sense.

You didn't read my post above, did you?

Prices are coming back down here in the US and there have been a few sub $50 drives that are 1TB or larger. The going rate right now seems to be around $59 on sale but there have been several 1TB for $50 or less and the number is increasing.

spat55

Jul 2, 2013
I hope that the HDD dropping in price makes SSD prices follow. I got a 3TB Toshiba external for £65, and a 840 evo 120GB costs £85.

johny12

Sep 18, 2012
Guys, can you believe Samsung can do this? - Samsung caught cheating in benchmarks with the Galaxy S4!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: This looks unbelievable but true. I was glancing through a new feed on tweaktown & found this shocking story which surely is heart breakening for many of us :( I did not expect this from samsung atleast. Well, we all know tweaktown cannot get tweaked. Accepting this hard fact, I feel if samsung could have done with their phones, why cant they do the same with their SSDs. Samsung buyers, be aware!!

Thread crapping (and spreading FUD) is not going to be tolerated in the tech forums
-ViRGE

Last edited by a moderator:

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
Guys, can you believe Samsung can do this? - Samsung caught cheating in benchmarks with the Galaxy S4!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: This looks unbelievable but true. I was glancing through a new feed on tweaktown & found this shocking story which surely is heart breakening for many of us :( I did not expect this from samsung atleast. Well, we all know tweaktown cannot get tweaked. Accepting this hard fact, I feel if samsung could have done with their phones, why cant they do the same with their SSDs. Samsung buyers, be aware!!
Well, first, they aren't cheating on the benchmarks. Rather, this series was largely tuned for programs commonly used in benchmarks. The Evo looks to do a better all-around job than the 840 or 840 Pro, both of which could give fragile performance (or in the TLC's case, just slow down if left near full for awhile, or w/o TRIM), which made drives like the M5 Pro, M500, Neutron GTX, and Sandisk Extreme II excellent fast/costly options, if you didn't live on the Adobe Creative Suite; and the Sandisk Ultra Plus, M5S, Neutron non-GTX, and M500 good choices at lesser or more balanced price points, if you were a user for whom more than cost and not using platters mattered (average gamer: no difference).

Second, though, that was getting way into troll territory.

GlacierFreeze

Golden Member
May 23, 2005
Yeah, definitely trolling. I reported.

Just look at his past posts. He's gushing nonstop about SandForce this, SandForce that.

Even says he's using SF SSDs "in my lab." And then goes onto claim he's not getting paid lol. Just about every post is about SF.

Here's another gem hahah.

I checked your profile, and in the Interests section you have "playing video games, new technologies,notebooks". How come you don't have "Sandforce", "sharing my fascination with Sandforce" and "being part of a like-minded group advocating Sandforce" in there? I'm confused.

Please dont be. Let me clarify. being sandforce supportive doesnt necessarily mean you need to specifically tag it in your interests. I am very passionate about their products & I support them as I am a very ethical kind of personality & sandforce is also complemented to be highly ethical.

Sounds almost like one of those Nigerian Email Scammers that somewhat understands English and replies back with something barely intelligible.

Last edited:

Baasha

Golden Member
Jan 4, 2010
I just picked up a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD for my secondary rig (X58) and cloned the OS (Win 8 Pro) to it.

It was a breeze to clone and everything is set up beautifully - except I have it connected to a SATA 3Gb/s port since my mobo (ASUS P6T7 WS SuperComputer) does not have SATA 6Gb/s ports.

Anyway, the thing that really "worries" me is that in Device Manager, I cannot see any "Intel Chipset" or SATA port under "Storage Controllers"?!? :thumbsdown:

All I see is:

LL

If I try to install Intel RST, it just gives me an error saying, "Unable to install Intel Rapid Storage Technology - "The setup program ended prematurely because of the following error: This platform is not supported" Error Code: 0x4E24 (20004)!?

I have 2 SAS drives (on the SAS ports), 1 "regular" HDD on the Marvell port as well as an optical drive on the Marvell port while the SSD and one HDD are connected to the Intel ports (SATA1 and SATA2).

HELP!?

razel

Platinum Member
May 14, 2002
Anyway, the thing that really "worries" me is that in Device Manager, I cannot see any "Intel Chipset" or SATA port under "Storage Controllers"?!? :thumbsdown:

Try looking under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers. Also if you have nothing attached to it, perhaps your BIOS may have 'hidden/deactivated' it. Another thing on the Intel download page, search for for ICH10 or ICH10R, not Rapid Storage Technology. Best of luck.

Baasha

Golden Member
Jan 4, 2010
Try looking under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers. Also if you have nothing attached to it, perhaps your BIOS may have 'hidden/deactivated' it. Another thing on the Intel download page, search for for ICH10 or ICH10R, not Rapid Storage Technology. Best of luck.

Thanks bud! :thumbsup:

It did show up as SATA AHCI under the IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers in the Device Manager. I downloaded the latest driver (08/08/2013) and installed them - shows up as 07/25/2013 which is fine (I think).

Anyway, I got spooked because I've always run RAID-0 SSD arrays so I had RAID drivers in the system which showed up under the Storage Controllers section. This is the first time that I put an OS on a single SSD and turned AHCI on! LOL...

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
If I try to install Intel RST, it just gives me an error saying, "Unable to install Intel Rapid Storage Technology - "The setup program ended prematurely because of the following error: This platform is not supported" Error Code: 0x4E24 (20004)!?

I can answer the portion about iRST. The error message you received exactly describes what is wrong. Your platform (x58) is not supported. iRST only works on Z77 and Z87. X58 is a no go as it predates intel's integrated SATA6G - Marvell also does not work with iRST. It only works on intel native SATA6G on Z77 and Z87 motherboards.

From what I gather, you're trying to install SATA port drivers? RST is not that. iRST is for SSD caching, generally speaking. You'll probably need to search for your motherboard drivers....