SAMSUNG 830 Series 128GB at the egg $89.99

GTFan

Jan 11, 2001
Damn - I paid $140 for this SSD on another AT egg deal around 4 months ago, prices are falling like a rock.

shelaby

Golden Member
Dec 29, 2002
got this a earlier this week for 90$, dont know why I waited so long, the difference in booting up windows/programs is amazing

MontyAC

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2004
Seems the 830 is always on sale these days. Must be a newer version coming out soon.

jaydee

Diamond Member
May 6, 2000
This should be considered the new normal. Anyone who pays more than $90 for a 120/128GB consumer SSD isn't patient or isn't looking hard enough.

Herr Kutz

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2009
Well as it turns out my laptop does use SATA drives. Is it worth putting in one of these babies if my laptop only has SATA 1.5gb/s, core duo (not 2) processor, and 2 geebees of ram? I think my current drive is a blistering 5400rpm. Also, would coming close to filling up the drive slow it down too much even considering the limited speed I could expect with the SATA 1.5gb/s interface? I don't plan on purchasing a new laptop until at least haswell is released.

Edit: Actually, I think I'll ask this in the storage section since it might get a better audience and may be better suited for this question anyway.

Last edited:

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
Well as it turns out my laptop does use SATA drives. Is it worth putting in one of these babies if my laptop only has SATA 1.5gb/s, core duo (not 2) processor, and 2 geebees of ram? I think my current drive is a blistering 5400rpm. Also, would coming close to filling up the drive slow it down too much even considering the limited speed I could expect with the SATA 1.5gb/s interface? I don't plan on purchasing a new laptop until at least haswell is released.

I'm in the same boat with an older Pavillion dv9207us. Since it is on the old side I do not wan to sink any money into it.

Last edited:

qliveur

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2007
I seriously doubt that laptops that old would have the CPU power to keep up with a modern SSD, even if they didn't have the SATA I bottleneck.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I saw a (small) improvement, putting a 240GB Mushkin Chronos Deluxe (3x nm Toggle NAND, 2nd-gen SF controller) into a C-60 dual-core netbook.

Of course, the SSD turned out to be majorly FUBAR. (Sandforce bugs?)

I hook it up to my desktop and did a full format, it died at 70%, and hasn't been able to be detected in any system since.

I tried secure erasing it multiple times, didn't help the problem.

Paperlantern

Platinum Member
Apr 26, 2003

Edit: Actually, I think I'll ask this in the storage section since it might get a better audience and may be better suited for this question anyway.

It will still feel a good bit snappier I'm sure of it. We put SSD in machines that are circa 2007 and 2008 and they more than tripled thier boot speed. We we're talking 3 minutes to desktop, the same image on the SSD was 54 seconds.

MAG1969

Sep 24, 2000
I also have Hp DV9000 laptop with the Nvidia chipset. I tried to install a kingston V+100 ssd into it and the bios would not detect the ssd. Also, the Nvidia chipset didnt support AHCI mode.

If someone tries a Sandforce drive please let me know how that goes...

jhansman

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2004
This should be considered the new normal. Anyone who pays more than $90 for a 120/128GB consumer SSD isn't patient or isn't looking hard enough.

Amen. And soon 256GB 830s/M4s will be under $200 as well. However, gas will be $5/gal.

kmmatney

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2000

I put an SSD in my old Core 2 Duo Inspiron, and it made a huge difference. This will give any old laptop new life, even using SATA 1.5 gb/s.

BadThad

Lifer
Feb 22, 2000
I seriously doubt that laptops that old would have the CPU power to keep up with a modern SSD, even if they didn't have the SATA I bottleneck.

Bunch of bologna! The HDD is THE bottleneck on any system. I've put several SSD's into older machines and they made a HUGE difference.