Samsung 2443BTW Question

zod96

Platinum Member
May 28, 2007
Just got my refurb Samsung 2443BTW from overstock. I paided $240 shipped which is pretty good since most sites that sell them new are 400+. I couldn't justify paying that much for a 24 inch TN, but $240 I could so I got the refurb. Anyway the monitor is in great shape, no dead or stuck pixels no buzzing noise and the bezel is also excellent. The only thing is backlight bleed. Their is a small amount on the bottom and top from left to right. Now is this common in TN panels this size? Would you bother returning and and trying for another one or just keep this if its a common thing with large TN's?

Thanks

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
There's always some in the TN panels but some are worse than others. And depends on if its tolerable or not.

zod96

Platinum Member
May 28, 2007
Here's a picture of it if that helps. Sorry about my camera skills :-(

shangshang

May 17, 2008
you'll get backlight bleed in all panels: TN, PVA, IPS
Just that in highend PVA and IPS panels, you'll get less because of the quality of the craftsmanship. I remember Soyo used to make 24" PVA LCDs that would bleed like a V....!
If you can't stand it, then maybe get a higherend PVA or better IPS. Note: the lowerend IPS monitors (E-IPS) from Dell also bleed light.

shangshang

May 17, 2008
you'll get backlight bleed in all panels: TN, PVA, IPS
Just that in highend PVA and IPS panels, you'll get less because of the quality of the craftsmanship. I remember Soyo used to make 24" PVA LCDs that would bleed like a V....!
If you can't stand it, then maybe get a higherend PVA or better IPS. Note: the lowerend IPS monitors (E-IPS) from Dell also bleed light.

You can try turning the brightness down and it'll help. But you can never rid of them completely! LED lighting has much better bleed control, but of course that these in another pricing ballpark.

Qbah

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2005
Unless you stare at the black screen 24/7, I'd say keep it. It's not so bad imo (I've seen worse!) and if it doesn't bother you in everyday use (unless you really just look at the black screen ;)), keep it. That's what I would do - unless, of course, you see it sitting on your desktop or playing games - then exchange it. Though you might get worse...

As shangshang said, if you want quality backlight, get a high-end IPS panel :) Or PVA.

zod96

Platinum Member
May 28, 2007
I do play games but I don't notice it at all when doing that. Only on the windows 7 boot splash screen. I'll probably keep it. And I would have gone with a ips one but I wanted a 24 inch 1920x1200 and the Dell U2410 is the only one besides the HP. And they are both about $600 with tax. I spent $200 on the samsung and $400 more well I just don't have that..