Samoled hd+

Dulanic

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2000
Yes please. Non pentile 4.6" 319 ppi of SAMOLED hd goodness. I love my low res sgsii so can only imagine how beautiful this screen will be.

http://oled-a.org/news_details.cfm?ID=760

SMD is planning to release a 4.6” Super AMOLED HD Plus with the 319 ppi for the Galaxy S3 Super AMOLED plus in May of this year. In addition, SMD is expected to add phosphorescent green, which will reduce power consumption and make the OLED display competitive with the retina display at white levels of 40%, while significantly outperforming LCDs for images and video.

Last edited:

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
This is why I've waited to get a new phone since my Nexus S. I've been waiting for a non-pentile HD screen to hit.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
I expected SGS3 to have non pentile screen. Samsung SAMOLED is continuing to get better and I expected Samsung to save the best screen for their Galaxy S3 line. The phosphorescent green is interesting and should make the screen even better.

Good article and I noticed they expect the iPhone5 to have 4.3 retina screen. Hmm...

They also expect May launch of Galaxy S3. That makes sense since Samsung wants this device in time to advertise during the Summer Olympics. We'll see if Samsung can pull off simultaneous worldwide launch like they hinted.

Last edited:

Dulanic

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2000
I expected SGS3 to have non pentile screen. Samsung SAMOLED is continuing to get better and I expected Samsung to save the best screen for their Galaxy S3 line. The phosphorescent green is interesting and should make the screen even better.

Good article and I noticed they expect the iPhone5 to have 4.3 retina screen. Hmm...

They also expect May launch of Galaxy S3. That makes sense since Samsung wants this device in time to advertise during the Summer Olympics. We'll see if Samsung can pull off simultaneous worldwide launch like they hinted.

Unlikely. The US carriers are guaranteed to have delays for their customizations. It may be close but I'd go with June or July for US carriers.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Actually the article didn't even mention May launch. I don't know where I pulled that date from. Must be my wishful thinking. :p

joshhedge

Nov 19, 2011
The HTC One X is HD non-pentile as well as SLCD2 which a lot of review sites are rating as producing better colours and similar viewing angles to in my opinion, the horrid SAMOLED.

Dulanic

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2000
I am still lost when people say a horrid SAMOLED. It has the darkest blacks possible and is clear as day in the sun also. I have never had a person ever, not even once, look at a SGSII screen next to anything else and say oh that LCD one looks better.

I am always curious if maybe people have a old AMOLED experience and think it is the same, which is so far from the truth.

Dulanic

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2000
I disagree, SAMOLED is the worst display tech there is for outdoor use.

Having owned nearly a dozen cell phones, I know 100% that is not the truth. AMOLED is the worst, LCD is 2nd worse. SLCD and SAMOLED+ are the best in the sun currently, I bundle retina display as SLCD.

dguy6789

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2002
I didn't notice significantly different sunlight visibility going between AMOLED and SAMOLED and SLCD they're all almost useless. Regular LCD is much better.

RGBW pentile LCD(the display used in the Droid Bionic and Droid 3) is the best in the sun actually and it's not by just a little bit; SLCD and SAMOLED+ aren't even half as good in the sun.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
I didn't notice significantly different sunlight visibility going between AMOLED and SAMOLED and SLCD they're all almost useless. Regular LCD is much better.

RGBW pentile LCD(the display used in the Droid Bionic and Droid 3) is the best in the sun actually and it's not by just a little bit; SLCD and SAMOLED+ aren't even half as good in the sun.

I noticed a big difference from AMOLED to SAMOLED in direct sunlight. I had a Samsung Moment and now a Nexus S.

Puddle Jumper

Platinum Member
Nov 4, 2009
The HTC One X is HD non-pentile as well as SLCD2 which a lot of review sites are rating as producing better colours and similar viewing angles to in my opinion, the horrid SAMOLED.

Most reviewers are idiots when it comes to displays. Until I see a review from Anandtech or another site that objectively measures the specs of displays I won't believe that SLCD2 is better.

Either way LCD will never be good enough for me to buy a phone with a display based on it, the technology is simply to flawed.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Most reviewers are idiots when it comes to displays. Until I see a review from Anandtech or another site that objectively measures the specs of displays I won't believe that SLCD2 is better.

Either way LCD will never be good enough for me to buy a phone with a display based on it, the technology is simply to flawed.

I can believe that SLCD would produce more accurate colours.

On a phone though I'm going to go with the SAMOLED+ unless things drasticly change.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
I don't care what a few graphs in a review say. I've seen every type of cell phone screen and I personally don't like Samsung's, or any other *OLED type as much as what's on the Rezound. Rezound has the best looking screen I've ever seen on a phone. And if what I've read's true, I have to see the One X in person as people are saying it's even better than the Rezound.

Puddle Jumper

Platinum Member
Nov 4, 2009
I don't care what a few graphs in a review say. I've seen every type of cell phone screen and I personally don't like Samsung's, or any other *OLED type as much as what's on the Rezound. Rezound has the best looking screen I've ever seen on a phone. And if what I've read's true, I have to see the One X in person as people are saying it's even better than the Rezound.

I found the viewing angles on the Rezound to be average at best and the contrast and black levels suck compared Super AMOLED. Plus AMOLED will always have a better color gamut compared to LCD.

MrX8503

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2005
The OneX seems to have the best screen right now on a mobile phone, although I've never seen it myself. Amoled is very bad in sunlight, but the samoled+ is just as good as other LCDs. I'm not sure if the non plus version is any good in sunlight though.

Oled screens have good blacks but poor whites. It's also good for watching movies because the colors are saturated, but the draw back is that other than that the colors aren't realistic. There are negatives/positives to every screen, but this new oled screen seems promising. Hopefully it'll be the death to pentile.

Puddle Jumper

Platinum Member
Nov 4, 2009
The OneX seems to have the best screen right now on a mobile phone, although I've never seen it myself. Amoled is very bad in sunlight, but the samoled+ is just as good as other LCDs. I'm not sure if the non plus version is any good in sunlight though.

Oled screens have good blacks but poor whites. It's also good for watching movies because the colors are saturated, but the draw back is that other than that the colors aren't realistic. There are negatives/positives to every screen, but this new oled screen seems promising. Hopefully it'll be the death to pentile.

The colors on existing Super Amoled screens can be calibrated by the user. Samsung includes a couple of presets to chose from on the Galaxy S2 and there are apps on the market that give you full control of the calibration.

The only downside of Super Amoled compared to LCD is out of the box color accuracy while it has numerous upsides.

MrX8503

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2005
The colors on existing Super Amoled screens can be calibrated by the user. Samsung includes a couple of presets to chose from on the Galaxy S2 and there are apps on the market that give you full control of the calibration.

The only downside of Super Amoled compared to LCD is out of the box color accuracy while it has numerous upsides.

Do you have any reviews or photos showing how it looks after calibration?

dagamer34

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2005

I respect your opinion but I believe objective data over subjective feelings because the former can be far more consistent over time.

lothar

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2000
If you truly believe that, then you must have either be legally blind or just have really bad eyes.

http://blog.laptopmag.com/smartphone-screen-shoot-out-which-has-the-best-high-def-display

Round 1: Brightness
brightness.jpg

Winner: LG Spectrum/Samsung Galaxy Nexus.

Round 2: Viewing Angles
viewing_angles_homescreen_right.jpg

new_viewing_angles_3.jpg

Winner: Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Round 3: Color Accuracy
viewing_angles_tigers_front.jpg

viewing_angles_tigers_left.jpg

viewing_angles_tigers_right.jpg

Winner: LG Spectrum

Round 4: Sharpness
close_up_lineup.jpg

close_up_lineup_macro.jpg

Winner: HTC Rezound. The LG Spectrum was a very close second.

Round 5: Outdoor Visibility
outdoor_visibility.jpg

Winner: Samsung Galaxy Nexus

The technology behind the screens...
Galaxy Nexus: SAMOLED
LG Spectrum: IPS
LG Nitro HD : IPS
HTC Rezound: SLCD

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
If you truly believe that, then you must have either be legally blind or just have really bad eyes.

I don't use my cell phone out doors, so how it looks in sun light ranks 0 on my importance scale. I don't understand viewing angles on a cell phone. I hold my phone the same way always, and I never have a problem seeing it. I can't think of a possible situation where I'd need to look at a phone from a 90% side angle or something. In the normal indoor conditions the Rezound looked good enough to make me want the phone. To my eyes it absolutely looked better than the Galaxy. And your "you must be blind or have bad eyes" makes no sense to me. because if my vision was bad, shouldn't the Galaxy still look better to me? Maybe my vision is bad. Regardless, the Rezound looked the best to my eyes, I don't care why honestly.

And the Rezound clearly won the sharpness roundup, hay maybe my vision is as bad as you claim. So the extra sharpness of the Rezound's why I like it so much :D

Last edited: