Same sex benefits?

Medellon

Feb 13, 2000
I don't get why companies bow to the militant tactics used by some homomosexual activist groups to get what they want. If you extend benefits to same-sex couples why not do the same to your live-in boyfriend or girlfriend? What's the difference? Neither are married and neither relationship is as stable as a marriage between a man and woman.

Fencer128

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Medellon
I don't get why companies bow to the militant tactics used by some homomosexual activist groups to get what they want. If you extend benefits to same-sex couples why not do the same to your live-in boyfriend or girlfriend? What's the difference? Neither are married and neither relationship is as stable as a marriage between a man and woman.

In Britain if you are a couple living together you are taxed locally in the same way as if you are married.

The quote goes as:

Living together as if married

Cheers,

Andy

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001
Why should married people or couples of any type get tax breaks? They have found mates or bed buddies or whatever. Those of us looking need the tax breaks to go out on the hunt.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999

What is wrong with that? As long as government doesn't interfere, companies should be allowed to extend benefits to whomever they want.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003

Domestic Partner Arraingements are a legal status as is Common Law Marriages... Live with your Girl friend long enough and you may meet the test.. You being the generic you.
Marriage is a bond between two people, generally. (Some in Utah have a view to more wives the merrier) why can't two women develop a similar bond and "marry" to solidify the union in a legal sense? Marriage is both a legal and religious exersize... You get a license not for the church etc. but for the government. Who in the government uses the moral statements of a church to enact law? I say that any people who wish to commit to a union for legal purposes should be allowed to do so.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000

its just a compensation package... they can pay whatever they want to whomever they want and if you don't like it don't work there

classy

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: n0cmonkey
Why should married people or couples of any type get tax breaks? They have found mates or bed buddies or whatever. Those of us looking need the tax breaks to go out on the hunt.

LOL. Married people have been penalized for years cause they are married. Slowly they are doing away with the marriage penalty. But not quick enough.

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000
Neither are married and neither relationship is as stable as a marriage between a man and woman.

Bahahaha. Suuuuuure. Nothin's more stable than marriage....
rolleye.gif
rolleye.gif

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Andy,

In Britain if you are a couple living together you are taxed locally in the same way as if you are married.

The quote goes as:

Cheers,

Andy[/quote]

Does the Inland Revenue provide a tax benifit for two guys sharing a home say... As I remember, two folks not considered married are individually taxed at lower marginal for the first tier of income than two considered married folks would be. Perhaps, I'm thinking of Ireland or the law has changed.

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
you know what gets me going, TV shows that show the use of a same sex bathroom, like on Ally McBeal....

You'll never see one used like that in my home...............;)

Maybe because the way insurance companies generally grant benefits you must be a direct family member or spouse, which is not an option and shouldn't be in your mind.

Did Disney bow down to anyone when they extended benefits to same sex couples or was this a willing action on their part?

Fencer128

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
Originally posted by: HJD1
Andy,

The quote goes as:

Cheers,

Andy

Does the Inland Revenue provide a tax benifit for two guys sharing a home say... As I remember, two folks not considered married are individually taxed at lower marginal for the first tier of income than two considered married folks would be. Perhaps, I'm thinking of Ireland or the law has changed.[/quote]

With respect to gay couples - I'm not sure how the law works. I also couldn't explain much about the national taxation. With respect to my mention of "local" taxation I was referring to who bears the responsibility for the council tax + any benefits that may go along with that.

Cheers,

Andy

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: classy
Originally posted by: n0cmonkey

LOL. Married people have been penalized for years cause they are married. Slowly they are doing away with the marriage penalty.
A no fault divorce?

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
your "standard" deduction, generally the largest one most people take, includes provisions for the cost of maintaining life, housing, food, etc...

Two married individuals filing separately can each take that same deduction for the same household. While together they pay marginally more, they are also able to take advantage of getting the same deduction for one household twice if they choose...

What about child credits? Why should you get more when you have placed a larger burden on society? You rent your home, I own mine, I have no children, yet I should pay even more to send yours to school while you get extra back?

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
Originally posted by: HJD1

Domestic Partner Arraingements are a legal status as is Common Law Marriages... Live with your Girl friend long enough and you may meet the test.. You being the generic you.
Marriage is a bond between two people, generally. (Some in Utah have a view to more wives the merrier) why can't two women develop a similar bond and "marry" to solidify the union in a legal sense? Marriage is both a legal and religious exersize... You get a license not for the church etc. but for the government. Who in the government uses the moral statements of a church to enact law? I say that any people who wish to commit to a union for legal purposes should be allowed to do so.
Ditto. Just don't call it marriage.

przero

Platinum Member
Dec 30, 2000
Alistar7 - "Two married individuals filing separately can each take that same deduction for the same household. While together they pay marginally more, they are also able to take advantage of getting the same deduction for one household twice if they choose..."

WRONG!

przero

Platinum Member
Dec 30, 2000
I'm against these civil unions. But let's make dadgummed sure that "Adam and Steve" pay the same marriage tax penalty my wife and I pay!!!

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
Originally posted by: przero
Alistar7 - "Two married individuals filing separately can each take that same deduction for the same household. While together they pay marginally more, they are also able to take advantage of getting the same deduction for one household twice if they choose..."

WRONG!

really, how is that?

did you miss the separately part? Do they both not still get the standard deduction when filing separately? When I say household I am not referring to interest paid on a mortage, I am referring to the standard deduction which is an offset that considers housing costs, etc, which is why it is called the standard deduction.

Two men or women living together as a couple in one house both still get to file separately though, each taking advantage of the standard deduction, so at least that is consistent. Tell me how a single person can take advantage of the standard deduction, the largest deduction for most people, twice in the same year as a married or not couple can every year filing separately?

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
Originally posted by: przero
I'm against these civil unions. But let's make dadgummed sure that "Adam and Steve" pay the same marriage tax penalty my wife and I pay!!!

maybe you should try a new accountant.

You do realize you get breaks on other things for being married though, I don't hear you complaining about the benefits you recieve that single people do not. Give those benefits up and I will trust your sincerity in the area of fairness.

przero

Platinum Member
Dec 30, 2000
Alistar7 - You don't know the tax code very well do you?

Single - standard deduction = $4700
Married filing jointly - standard deduction = $7850
Married filing separately - standard deduction = $3925

2 single people living together get a standard deduction = $9400

DO THE MATH!