Same price (new): custom design 1070 vs 980ti

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 19, 2009
Well there are two parts to it:

1. Not having proper game ready drivers for Maxwell cards

2. Putting features into Gameworks games that gimp Maxwell cards

Kepler had both things going against it, while I think Maxwell with only have 1.

For the 980 ti number 1 doesn't matter, but something like the 970 (which requires game specific memory optimizations to avoid the 3.5 GB problem being a problem) its a huge deal.

Maxwell will be affected by both.

Pascal can handle compute better while graphics is rendering, it's context switch is faster. Lots of interleaved compute during graphics rendering will severely tank Maxwell performance.

Expect more compute based GameWorks features, less Tessellation based ones.

Also as we've seen with Mirror's Edge, NV will get devs to add "Hyper" mode in games, where they max out 8GB of vram usage for next to no visual gains, just because.

At the same price, the 1070 is a far more "future-proof" buy than 980ti.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
the 980ti would have to be at least 50% faster for me to consider it over current gen. Buying new old stuff is great for cars i guess, not so much for tech.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Sorry, but I dont get not at least trying to moderately overclock a gpu. It is so easy, just moving a few sliders on a downloaded program like MSI afterburner or whatever the best overclocking tool is for the particular card you buy. I would not necessarily try for max OC, like adding voltage and such, but for a mild overclock, it is just free performance. If it crashes with overclocking, just back off to stock.

Some of us prefer 100.0% stable to 99.9% stable. And some of us are lazy :)

I've read many threads over the years from people having odd game behavior, and yep they've overclocked their CPU and GPU. If I want more speed (and something is available) I'll just buy a higher model number that runs faster at stock.

Edit: bad cytg111! necromancy is the debbils work!

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Sorry. Something is amiss cause this topic was at the top when I replied to it. And not the only "forum oups" i've seen recently.

kawi6rr

Oct 17, 2013
Easy 1070, Nvidia will drop driver support for the 980ti very soon.

Threadcrapping and flamebaiting is not allowed.
Markfw900

Last edited by a moderator: