UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
https://www.apnews.com/07045bc80e9c4acc895c4185515058e5

Sam Smith has declared the pronouns of “they/them” on social media after coming out as non-binary in what the pop star called a “lifetime of being at war with my gender.”​
The English “Too Good at Goodbyes” singer was met with thousands of mostly supportivecomments, along with some detractors who questioned the need to change pronouns, an increasingly common practice both within and outside of the LGBTQ community.​
“Today is a good day so here goes. I’ve decided I am changing my pronouns to THEY/THEM,” the 27-year-old Smith wrote on Twitter and Instagram. “After a lifetime of being at war with my gender I’ve decided to embrace myself for who I am, inside and out.”​
So Sam Smith is plural now. I wondered how the media would write up the article and if they’d dodge using pronouns altogether or indulge in his "more than one person" request. The AP went along with it though and didn’t dodge:

Smith said they were excited and privileged for the support, adding that they’ve been “very nervous” about the announcement because they “care too much about what people think.” Smith said they finally decided to go for it.​

It’s curious why he chose "they" over the he made up word Xe pronoun though which is what I thought transgenders use. Does Xe signify something that Smith doesn’t identify as I guess? And does he actually view himself as being multiple people? This seems to be gaining popularity in society but I still don’t think most people are on board with it though.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
"They" is and has been used as a singular non-specific gender term for quite a long time now (typically when one isn't aware of the individual's gender), didn't realize your dickishness extended to non-binary folks too, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised. No real need to be an asshole and go "LOL he's more than one person".

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017
https://www.apnews.com/07045bc80e9c4acc895c4185515058e5

Sam Smith has declared the pronouns of “they/them” on social media after coming out as non-binary in what the pop star called a “lifetime of being at war with my gender.”​
The English “Too Good at Goodbyes” singer was met with thousands of mostly supportivecomments, along with some detractors who questioned the need to change pronouns, an increasingly common practice both within and outside of the LGBTQ community.​
“Today is a good day so here goes. I’ve decided I am changing my pronouns to THEY/THEM,” the 27-year-old Smith wrote on Twitter and Instagram. “After a lifetime of being at war with my gender I’ve decided to embrace myself for who I am, inside and out.”​
So Sam Smith is plural now. I wondered how the media would write up the article and if they’d dodge using pronouns altogether or indulge in his "more than one person" request. The AP went along with it though and didn’t dodge:

Smith said they were excited and privileged for the support, adding that they’ve been “very nervous” about the announcement because they “care too much about what people think.” Smith said they finally decided to go for it.​

It’s curious why he chose "they" over the he made up word Xe pronoun though which is what I thought transgenders use. Does Xe signify something that Smith doesn’t identify as I guess? And does he actually view himself as being multiple people? This seems to be gaining popularity in society but I still don’t think most people are on board with it though.

Thanks for the Sam Smith update. Without posts like this I would be totally out of touch on pointless topics.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
I get the pedantic point of OP on a grammar level but language changes and evolves. Sometimes clarity results (the xe pronoun is actually useful in this regard IMHO) and sometimes it doesn’t.

Not a huge deal to accommodate someone on a matter like this. Exception being for Prince and his “imma gonna change my name to an unpronounceable made up symbol.” That was ridiculous (although Prince’s music and guitar playing was awesome), using they instead of he is no big deal.

Reactions: dank69

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
I get the pedantic point of OP on a grammar level but language changes and evolves. Sometimes clarity results (the xe pronoun is actually useful in this regard IMHO) and sometimes it doesn’t.

Not a huge deal to accommodate someone on a matter like this. Exception being for Prince and his “imma gonna change my name to an unpronounceable made up symbol.” That was ridiculous (although Prince’s music and guitar playing was awesome), using they instead of he is no big deal.

he changed his name to that because a record label sued him and said "prince" was owned by them. So when he made his name a symbol everyone had to say "the artist formerly known as prince". It was pretty smart actually.

OccamsToothbrush

Golden Member
Aug 21, 2005
Who? I’m sick of all the pronoun stuff. It’s gone full retard. I’ll call you by what I perceive you as. Don’t like it? I don’t care.

That. These people are the equivalent of diva receivers, it's about the attention. If this fucktard doesn't want to be known as "he" I'll call him "it" instead. People are entitled to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, not a choice of pronouns. Fuck him, her, errrm "it". I didn't know who it was before this and tomorrow I won't notice whether it lives or dies.

Feb 4, 2009
Who dis Sam Smith guy?

I’ll admit trans issues are frustratingly complicated. I know a trans woman and strange topics can go in weird directions.
For example, she thinks cross dressers are clowns. Literally clowns, they put on makeup, they put on funny shoes that don’t fit, they prance around and are an insult to trans people.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2013

Yeah, maybe you should look up just why he changed, and later reclaimed, his name.

here, I've done your work for you

"So why did he do it?

The symbol was a rebellion against Prince's record label, Warner Bros. He first signed with the company back in 1977 when he was still a teenager, and together they produced some of his most famous titles, including Purple Rain and Sign O the Times.

But after inking a new deal in the early 1990s, Prince chafed under the company's rigid production schedule. A prolific songwriter, he wanted to release material as soon as it was ready - he had 500 unreleased songs in his famous studio vault. But Warner Bros refused, believing it would saturate the market and dilute demand for the artist's music.

"He felt the contracts at the time were onerous and burdensome," says John Kellogg, assistant chair of the music business management department at Berklee College of Music. "He rebelled against that."

Prince compared his contractual obligations to slavery, and began performing with the word "SLAVE" on his cheek. He saw his own name as a part of his contractual entrapment.

"Warner Bros took the name, trademarked it, and used it as the main marketing took to promote all of the music I wrote," Prince once said in a press release. "The company owns the name Prince and all related music marketed under Prince. I became merely a pawn used to produce more money for Warner Bros."

In 2000, after the contract expired, Prince went back to using his old name, which Kellogg says also freed him to innovate new ways of making money as an independent artist."

Reactions: ch33zw1z