Sam Smith announces new pronouns of ‘they’ and ‘them’

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
So in other words a law compelling speech
No. A law preventing unwanted speech that has crossed the line into harassment. I'm sorry you don't understand the difference, Ms. Casanova. Perhaps you can tell us which part is confusing you?

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Odd that ABC, NBC, CBS, MSN etc all seem to care enough to write about it also. Weird
They are all interested in it because millions of Americans are interested in celebrity gossip. What is your excuse, Ms. Casanova?

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
No. A law preventing unwanted speech that has crossed the line into harassment. I'm sorry you don't understand the difference, Ms. Casanova. Perhaps you can tell us which part is confusing you?

The part where you think this isn’t the government compelling someone what they have to say

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
The part where you think this isn’t the government compelling someone what they have to say
Well I am sorry, but it is right there in black and white in your own link, Ms. Casanova. They gave 4 examples. Which one do you think is an example of someone getting in trouble for not saying something the government wants them to say?

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Why is this even a discussion? Seems a bit minor, and generally of no concern.
Oh theres much concern over what to call someone who hardly anyone here has heard of and probably never referred to before and probably wont after this thread! They are very concerned!

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Odd that ABC, NBC, CBS, MSN etc all seem to care enough to write about it also. Weird

Even though I count none of those among my normal sources, it seems playing dumb about the 24hr news cycle's need for filler is required here somehow. Also amusing.

Oh if only we had some patriotic republican lead organization to approve and filter the media, then there would be no more fake news.

• Haha
Reactions: dank69

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
I don't even understand why this matters. If someone would prefer to be called they/them, then just do it, why do you even care? If someone named William would prefer to be called Bill, they let you know and you call them Bill from then on. Just call people what they want to be called, it takes zero effort on your part. It is just a common courtesy.

None of this !@#$ existed 10-20 years ago. Now some people want to push it and make us deal with upending the binary standard. At minimum it is a hassle, at worse you'll have people attacked or in jail for not adhering to it. It matters because people are getting in our faces over it.

The Rise of Preferred Pronouns

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
None of this !@#$ existed 10-20 years ago. Now some people want to push it and make us deal with upending the binary standard. At minimum it is a hassle, at worse you'll have people attacked or in jail for not adhering to it. It matters because people are getting in our faces over it.

No they aren't. They are making it illegal to call someone something they have told you they do not want to be called. Just like it is illegal for employers and landlords to call black people n*****s, or do you have a problem with that law as well?

Reactions: Victorian Gray

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005

Some people lose their shit over the smallest stuff.

The world changes, deal with it.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2009
Isn’t this whole argument akin to calling a Divorced woman by Her married name after she said “I use my maiden name now”

I’m sure dudes in the 60s-80s had similar arguments

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Isn’t this whole argument akin to calling a Divorced woman by Her married name after she said “I use my maiden name now”

Yes. But a person with a PhD is confused by this and so lends undeserved credence to a large number of easily influenced people online.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
The funny/sad thing is that on the conservative side they are all just in the closet... and that just fucks people up more. I guess that explains all the rage demons vs. PRONOUNS!!
I mean anyone seriously doubt Pence is gay at hearth?

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005

OH MY GOD! NOT THE BINARY STANDARD!
RUN FOR THE HILLS FOLKS!

seriously. What the fuck?

Feb 4, 2009
Yes. But a person with a PhD is confused by this and so lends undeserved credence to a large number of easily influenced people online.

I remember my Uncles, Father & Grandfather complaining about some one asking to be called Ms. one summer around 1976 (I remember the cutely painted fire hydrants)
Against all odds the they somehow managed to not be put in jail or have a lawsuit bankrupt them.

• Haha
Reactions: dank69

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005

Not really, because a name is a form of identification.

Gender nonbinary is a form of expression. But if gender is a social construct, then gender nonbinary is simply a rejection of said construct.

I prefer the days when gender nonbinary simply meant you had interesting fashion sense or were a Cure fan.

Grace Jones, Boy George, Madonna and many others dabbled with androgyny. We didn’t need new pronouns to identify a form of expression.

This doesn’t mean we should tolerate discrimination of people for how they choose to express themselves, but this whole movement has a flavor of the month aspect to it, kind of like the bisexual movement of the late 90s.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Grace Jones, Boy George, Madonna and many others dabbled with androgyny. We didn’t need new pronouns to identify a form of expression.

People still got pissed off at it for no real reason and thought that it heralded the end of Western civilisation.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
It's only going to foster confrontation if you are confrontational about something that doesn't really impinge on you.

And God forbid we are ever corrected about something!
It's simply a matter of being properly respectful of others. My entire life I've been able to address a person I don't know as Mam or Sir, now I guess I have to ask their pronoun before addressing them? Who benefits from this? Why does it have to be complicated? Mam and Sir are respectful terms of address and up until just recently were universal in the US. Suddenly that's not good enough, now I have to play lip service to their perceived gender. At what point am I going to have to start barking like a dog because some nitwit decided he's a golden retriever?

Feb 4, 2009
It's simply a matter of being properly respectful of others. My entire life I've been able to address a person I don't know as Mam or Sir, now I guess I have to ask their pronoun before addressing them? Who benefits from this? Why does it have to be complicated? Mam and Sir are respectful terms of address and up until just recently were universal in the US. Suddenly that's not good enough, now I have to play lip service to their perceived gender. At what point am I going to have to start barking like a dog because some nitwit decided he's a golden retriever?

I think the takeaway is if the girl who serves you coffee every morning says I don’t want to be called mam, you should make an attempt to call her what she wants.
If it’s super difficult to say or too foreign to pronounce tell her/him/them/xe/XX whatever ask what name should be used, if they still give a weird thing then they are the asshole not you.

Reactions: WelshBloke