Sam mobile says no headphone jack for the S8

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Once I have no good options I'm sure I'll bite the bullet and switch. I'll probably use a dongle though. I don't use the headphone jack THAT much but I do usually use it when I'm mowing the lawn or doing other yardwork. Bluetooth doesn't work that well in the open air, and I have issues with my bluetooth headphones cutting out even when my phone is in my pocket while mowing. If bluetooth was a little stronger so it had better range when outside, it wouldn't be that bad. As of now though it's not reliable enough.

I've heard that there are some examples of it getting better. Apparently the new PowerBeats headphones (yeah, it's Beats, but still) have a rock-solid connection. Also, the new Bluetooth 5 spec's main features are longer range, more bandwidth and reduced interference, so you might be set once both phones and wireless headphones catch up.

Kazukian

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2016
Except this phone has one of the worse screens I have ever used. Putting mine up for sale tomorrow. So happy I kept my Note 7. The promo buds were decent but the quad DAC rarely even kicks in with them. The V10, IMO, is a better phone DAC wise.

Yikes, did you block the updates?

Samsung plans to make the Note 7 effectively unusable in Canada from next week forward. The phone will still turn on, but it won’t be able to connect to Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, or any cellular networks. So if you were planning to do anything like browse the internet or even make a phone call on the device, you’re going to be out of luck in the very near future.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/12/7/1...ote-7-canada-cutting-off-wireless-connections

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Yikes, did you block the updates?

Samsung plans to make the Note 7 effectively unusable in Canada from next week forward. The phone will still turn on, but it won’t be able to connect to Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, or any cellular networks. So if you were planning to do anything like browse the internet or even make a phone call on the device, you’re going to be out of luck in the very near future.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/12/7/1...ote-7-canada-cutting-off-wireless-connections

Yeah, won't hit me. Hopefully. I'll hold out as long as I can.

dawheat

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
But teardowns of the iPhone 7 showed that Apple actually did make use of the available space -- it's there for the upgraded haptic engine (which kicks the ass of other phones, incidentally), better battery life and a barometric vent that lets the phone accurately calculate altitude. Apple didn't actually claim that waterproofing was a reason for it.

As for the S8, it all depends. If there are significant practical benefits that come from it, sure. The big concern is that this is another classic "because Apple did it" response from Samsung.

Of course they used the space once they decided to remove the headphone jack, but the point is that that's not why they removed it. It would have been well within their means to get all the components to fit if they wanted to (like every other phone). What is most likely is they decided to move forward with their vision of sound and repacked accordingly.

I don't think the iPhone 7 gives you back enough to justify the loss over the 6S. So I still hold that if the S8 is an evolution of the S7 and they don't compensate with a different feature for the loss of the headphone jack, it's a net loss and people should purchase accordingly.

Reactions: Oyeve

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Yeah, won't hit me. Hopefully. I'll hold out as long as I can.

Every time I see you mention this, I wonder to myself if once it bursts into flames you'll come back to tell us or just not mention it because you were too stubborn to give up your phone.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Every time I see you mention this, I wonder to myself if once it bursts into flames you'll come back to tell us or just not mention it because you were too stubborn to give up your phone.

Of course I would mention that.

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
Hey I was real tempted to keep my Note 7. I certainly hung on to it long as I could. I had a black one first, then exchanged it for a blue one after first recall.

The blue one was the PERFECT mobile device. Nothing else comes close. I hated giving it up. Ultimately I did so out of concern for other people, not because I really feel the phone was going to blow up. But it seemed unfair to have it in people's homes and around groups of people and such... I didn't mind the risk personally but it didn't seem fair to subject anyone else to the fear of any risk.

The S7 edge is about as good a phone gets right now for me. I still have my Note 4 ... I miss my damn s-pen.

Man, samsung after subjecting customers to the whole N7 disaster I feel they owe it to those who stayed with them not to dick up the Note 8 with that dumbass no headphone jack bullshit.

This is why you can never make too much fun of Apple subjecting users to the bullshit of removed features as "features!"

The sad bunch of "me too!! me too!!" followers afraid to be leaders (despite being ahead) in the Android world will soon be copying the same crap.

Kazukian

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2016
Much as I like Apple stuff, there wasn't a compelling reason to take out the headphone jack.

I personally don't miss it, but it sure pissed a lot of people off.

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
Literally EVERYWHERE is OOS on the blue s7 edge. I miss that color. :(
I loved the blue color. But I went with silver for the S7E. I figure 3 new phones in so many months, I need to change it up some with each one.

When I first saw the black N7 I thought it looked the best... but after having it a while it started to look a little plastic-y to me. The blue note... man! perfect. Great mix of color and metalic sheen.

Now I really dig the silver. It takes on the hue of colors around it and really looks nice.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
I have a Speck Candy Shell clear on my S7E and had it on my N7 - it's lightly frosted and the way it makes the blue "pop" was just about perfect.

Insomniator

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
Bluetooth headphones can be as cheap as $20 (or less) these days. So tired of all the complaining, I haven't used wired headphones on my phone since getting a pair of Sony wireless earbuds in... 2009?

People will be complaining their brain implanted galaxy s20's don't have headphone ports... I'm using my s4 until it disintegrates!!!

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Bluetooth headphones can be as cheap as $20 (or less) these days. So tired of all the complaining, I haven't used wired headphones on my phone since getting a pair of Sony wireless earbuds in... 2009?

People will be complaining their brain implanted galaxy s20's don't have headphone ports... I'm using my s4 until it disintegrates!!!

Some people already have quality wired headphones/speakers and use their phone to listen to music. What good does removing the headphone jack do? Make the phone even thinner? Reduce the cost very, very slightly? For me the headphone jack is a plus. Your mileage may vary.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004

I'm tired of all you pricks that assume that every single person on earth uses their devices exactly like you do. Nothing stops you from using your bluetooth earphones on current phones as it is, so taking the jack away does nothing to help you but it DOES take away something from those of us who want it.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Some rumors say the S8 is going to lose its home button and go almost all display on front. I do not know if removing the headphone jack is necessary for this, but it's pretty much the one and only tradeoff I'd be willing to do.

I have one good pair of bluetooth headphones, but everything else is wired. While it's not a deal breaker for me, I don't agree with removing the headphone jack unless there's a very compelling reason to do so.

And no, "courage" is not a compelling reason.

Reactions: Oyeve

accguy9009

Oct 21, 2007
Except this phone has one of the worse screens I have ever used. Putting mine up for sale tomorrow. So happy I kept my Note 7. The promo buds were decent but the quad DAC rarely even kicks in with them. The V10, IMO, is a better phone DAC wise.

My opinion with the V20 and its display is vastly different. The V20 display to my eyes is brilliant. While it may not be an OLED display, I have zero issue with it. Your observation on the V20 battery you posted in a different thread has also been vastly different than mine, however your usage may be be significantly different than mine. My B & O buds come in next week but with every set of head phones I have tried the hi fi dac is utilized. I respect your opinion and have enjoyed reading your posts over the years but on this one we can agree to disagree. The replaceable battery and expandable storage are features I also highly value.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
If the S8 and Note 8 lose the home button, I will not be buying another Samsung. One of 3 reasons I go with Samsung devices is, Samsung Pay, the UI and physical home button.

jahson

Jan 13, 2017
www.bestunder100.net
Same. My S5 is my first, and probably last Samsung. I'm fine with using old phones, and that's what I'll do if there's nothing acceptable on the market. Removeable battery, removeable storage, and a headphone jack. Those are basic requirements for a phone computer. I wouldn't accept less on a laptop/desktop, and I won't accept less on my pocket computer.
Same here i have no problem sticking with the older model,they seem more reliable.

AnMig

Golden Member
Nov 7, 2000
Looks like the headphone jack is here to stay and based on the waterproof rating it is even more water proof than the iphone despite the headphone jack.

http://bgr.com/2017/03/01/galaxy-s8-leaked-images-specs-exclusive/

No home button

Micro SD is also retained (thank god) now if only nexus devices follow suit

The only thing missing for me is rooting/unlocking ease and replaceable battery or at least easily user replaceable battery

Peace

ClockHound

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2007
That's a relief about the hp jack....bummer about the physical home button. It's been stable tactile home for years. Now just another vendor wasting precious screen real estate. Ugh.

stormkroe

Golden Member
May 28, 2011
Hopefully they'll learn the lesson (like they did with the sd card removal) BEFORE the note is finalized. Headphone jack, home button, sd slot, removable battery (bet they wish that was a feature of note 7) and no edge screen. Otherwise, note 4 is gonna be my retirement phone unless someone else starts doing stylus/wacom digitizer.