Salary/Career questions from a somewhat recent grad

aolsuxs

Dec 6, 2000
I graduated about 2 years ago with a BS in Biology and currently feel I am incredibly underpaid in my position. Thus, I am considering asking for a raise in my yearly review coming up in a few months or perhaps relocating (Probably somewhere in Ca where there a lot more opportunities then in NV). While I've found several sites that compare cost of living, I am curious is it possible to find out either the pay range for specific positions/companies instead finding out via the whole interview process. I mean, I can't just email HR and ask for XX position what is the expected pay? I think that if I can obtain that I can have a decent shot of at least justifying my case for a raise.

Thanks for listening..

BigDH01

Golden Member
Jul 8, 2005
Originally posted by: aolsuxs
I graduated about 2 years ago with a BS in Biology and currently feel I am incredibly underpaid in my position. Thus, I am considering asking for a raise in my yearly review coming up in a few months or perhaps relocating (Probably somewhere in Ca where there a lot more opportunities then in NV). While I've found several sites that compare cost of living, I am curious is it possible to find out either the pay range for specific positions/companies instead finding out via the whole interview process. I mean, I can't just email HR and ask for XX position what is the expected pay? I think that if I can obtain that I can have a decent shot of at least justifying my case for a raise.

Thanks for listening..

Biology is a tough one. I was looking for positions in Cali when I graduated with a degree in Micro and was disappointed with what I found. It also seems that the Cali market I was looking at was dominated by scientific temp agencies (at least for lab work). I believe the range I was looking at to start was about 12-15/hr. Not much for Cali. After 2 years, I would imagine it's 15-20/hr.

Of course, the above assumes you are working in a lab.

blipblop

Jun 23, 2004
OP, what do you exactly do and what are your responsibilities? Could you post some details and then we might be able to give you some opinions, etc?

E equals MC2

Banned
Apr 16, 2006
Originally posted by: blipblop
OP, what do you exactly do and what are your responsibilities? Could you post some details and then we might be able to give you some opinions, etc?

Yes, start with telling us what your title is. What CAN you do with Biology major right out of college anyways? Research?

aolsuxs

Dec 6, 2000
I work for a clinical research organization. My first year there I worked in there necropsy department and performed necropsies on the animals although quite interesting at first became very assembly line-like. I then transfered to our Immunology department (which was an interest of mine during my last year in college but never got a chance to pursue it as much as I would have liked) where I basically design/troubleshoot/run ELIAS looking at how various drugs affect the immune system (increase vs decrease, presence of host antibody vs drug etc.)

My title is Research Assistant and I actually found a job in Ca that is very similar:

http://careers.biospace.com/Jo...&industry=10&edulvl=60

and thus would like to obtain there salary info with ours.

BigDH your prices sound about right I just imagined they would be higher. I make 17 an hour and it is just a kick in the junk to know they bring in report writers at our scale and even worse joe shome working at some warehouse is making the same. I hate to compare myself to others in this matter.

blipblop

Jun 23, 2004
aolsuxs,

From my personal experience and what I see in the research field, if you want to get paid well, you will most likely need a Masters degree or eventually a Ph.D. (I have a MSEE)

If you want to continue in the research field, ie lab work and such, I think that you would eventually need to get a graduate degree or some sort.

Do you enjoy the work you do? Are you interested in medicine at all?