Saints Row: The Third

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
I'm at 4% and still trying to figure stuff out. Pretty fun so far, reminds of GTA4. Kinda disappointed in the gunfire sound effects. They're so quiet and wimpy.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Sweet game. Love ridiculous carnage games. I can dump hours into just dicking around doing little to nothing. The thing was that I didn't get far into SR2 because I didn't like how the driving mechanics felt. I'm not sure what it was but I borrowed it from a friend and gave it back quickly. This seem much more responsive and entertaining. My biggest issue is that there's not enough destructible stuff. I think Just Cause 2 ruined me as I jump into a chopper and expect to blow up the water towers... and am bummed to see that I can't.

Regardless, I'm still having fun. I like being able to store any vehicle in my garage, upgrade it, and do whatever I want to it without worry I'll never see it again. It keeps the emphasis on fun and carnage.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
But when you retrieve the vehicle from your garage, it's gone. So you've got to constantly put more cars in your garage. It'd be more convenient if it just produced replicas for you.

I lost track of time earlier just doing activities and trying to buy up whole sections of the city. It's a lot of fun.

It's kind of lame that both the police and the morningstar gangs will come at you relentlessly, in every increasing numbers and strength if you piss them off. For example, how are you supposed to do the gang hits without starting a never ending war? I end up having to run back to something I own to lose them.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
But when you retrieve the vehicle from your garage, it's gone. So you've got to constantly put more cars in your garage. It'd be more convenient if it just produced replicas for you.

I lost track of time earlier just doing activities and trying to buy up whole sections of the city. It's a lot of fun.

It's kind of lame that both the police and the morningstar gangs will come at you relentlessly, in every increasing numbers and strength if you piss them off. For example, how are you supposed to do the gang hits without starting a never ending war? I end up having to run back to something I own to lose them.

SR2 had persistent Vehicles in your Garage, would suck if they removed it from SR3. Constant streams of Cops/Gang members were also in SR2.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
The vehicles stay there until you take them out. Then they're gone if you don't return them. :(

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
The vehicles stay there until you take them out. Then they're gone if you don't return them. :(

That's not true... I just tested it. Maybe if you DESTROY it then its gone, but I've left it out of the garage and came back and it was there again. Fully customized.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
You do not lose your vehicles. Even if they get destroyed, you just have to pay $500 to get it repaired. I lost my fully upgraded lambo after a police/military 5 star escapade and when I later called to get a car delivered to me it was there and said I just had to pay the $500 and boom one of my gang dropped it off right in front of me.

Bought the airport. Oh many, flying the A10 (I think that is what it is) is soooo sweet. I love just laying down with the minigun and launching rockets.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
I didn't see any option to recover my cars. My garage is just empty, nothing to select.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
I didn't see any option to recover my cars. My garage is just empty, nothing to select.

It may be possible that each garage is treated separately. Are you trying to retrieve your cars from a different stronghold than you stored it in? I only have one so I'm not sure if that's an issue. Are you storing them properly? You have to drive into the garage far enough for the little message to pop up saying "press Y to store your car" or whatever the keyboard control is. Then the car should disappear, and you can walk into the key icon to edit and retreive any car you took. They should stay in that list until you say to delete them.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
I don't think it's separate garages... I definitely retrieved a car from a different garage than I saved it in.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
:hmm: Then I'm not sure why there's a difference in what we're seeing. I'll check when I get home to see if I have any odd cheats or bonuses that shouldn't be there. I doubt I have cheats on because acheivements have been working fine.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Thought of something else... are you playing on the harder difficulty? They could change things like that for the harder difficulty.

Anyway, put some more time into it today. Couple full hours worth of gameplay and I only did one actual mission. I was too busy driving, taking out gang strongholds, buying stuff, flying around, and other random crap. It's great fun. Starting tomorrow I'll probably be playing Batman though.

Oct 4, 2004
It's only $12 here (India) and I'm getting mighty tempted. But I already have a bunch of yet-to-be-played games that I bought off Steam and little time to play anything apart from BF3. :(

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
$12? You'd be mad not to buy it!

No kidding. For $12 I'd buy it for me and 3 friends.

Right, but he's also living in India, and he may have totally different living circumstances than you guys.

It's like when people make fun of Australia for having ridiculously high video game prices (~$100). It's more expensive there, but at the same time, their minimum working wage is like 2x higher than the US.

Just sayin'.

Zanovar

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2011
Cant wait to get stuck into this,skyrim is taking up my gaming time atm though.

Oct 4, 2004
Capture.PNG

Haha, you guys convinced me to buy it! Now I just have to find time to play it. Maybe when I have /ragequit from one too many BF3 sessions and need some mindless entertainment. :p

FWIW, I usually get games when they are in the $10-$15 range. Never buy at launch prices (usually $25-$30 here); only time I made the exception was for Battlefield 3 ($30 for the Limited Edition).

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
This is definitely the best game I've bought all year. It does have a touch of the console with it, but it's still really damned fun, especially in co-op.

Lumathix

Golden Member
Mar 16, 2004
I tried to get my wife to play this with me. She created her character, we log in, and i accidently punch some old lady to death in the street. She was like WTF I'm done.

I lose. :(

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I tried to get my wife to play this with me. She created her character, we log in, and i accidently punch some old lady to death in the street. She was like WTF I'm done.

Few women make good Gangstas.

CVSiN

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2004

haha your wife fails.. I put the nude patch on.. took off all my girls clothes.. and grabbed the purple dildo bat and called my GF over.. she found it so absurd she loved it..

now shes beating up the old ladies...

patched my AMD drivers with the new cap and turned back on Crossfire.. ok now this game is SMOOTH..

also advanced my story to the point where the whole city has me shoot on site.. making it very hard to have any fun really..

I hope this chapter is short.. right now it's not alot of fun not being able to go anywhere in the city cant even go shopping without the entire army chasing me.

Spooner

Lifer
Jan 16, 2000
absolutely incredible game, and boatloads of fun

the guy not being able to retrieve his cars from the garage is definitely doing something wrong. I've customized and upgraded several cars and retrieve them anywhere without issue and i've beat the hell out of them

I'm scared to progress the main missions too quickly as i'm having a boatload of fun doing random stuff and side missions. The "Hard" rated activities are definitely pretty difficult, especially the one where you have to pick up hoes and eventually have 3 helis shooting you from the air as well as 14,000 cars/ gang memebers shooting at you while the clock is ticking down. Was able to grab all dem hoes the last time i played and ended up missing the final dropoff by inches!!!