Saints Row: The Third

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

coloumb

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Played the 15 minute demo via "On live" and decided to pick it up [was on sale at the local store]. Forget the terribad mistake SR2 was for the PC - this game is incredibly fun even though I've just started the main part of the game [intro was a blast and the character creation is a non stop laugh track riot]. :)

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Played the 15 minute demo via "On live" and decided to pick it up [was on sale at the local store]. Forget the terribad mistake SR2 was for the PC - this game is incredibly fun even though I've just started the main part of the game [intro was a blast and the character creation is a non stop laugh track riot]. :)

SR2 was awesome. It didn't seem to work with Crossfire, but other than that it felt *less* consolized than SR3 does. Maybe I'm crazy.

edro

Lifer
Apr 5, 2002
Bought it from the Humble Bundle for $6 (plus a handful of other games).
I have to finish up Max Payne 3, then I can start Saint's Row 3.

This thread has me pumped up.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Bought it from the Humble Bundle for $6 (plus a handful of other games).
I have to finish up Max Payne 3, then I can start Saint's Row 3.

This thread has me pumped up.

I got it from the HB too. Seems this has been out about a year? Is there any must have mods out for it?

EDUSAN

Golden Member
Apr 4, 2012
guys...i played a bit with coop and it has some weird lag when driving vehicles ... the player not driving (or driving another car) would see your car teleporting from time to time. Its like the position of the car gets corrected (and its always some seconds back) and its terribly annoying

anyone had this fixed?

Oct 4, 2004
I hadn't played the game since I finished the campaign. Seeing it featured on the Humble Bundle reminded me that this used to be fun so I picked it up again.

I have been playing a lot of Need for Speed: Most Wanted recently. The one thing that I found odd was the car handling since I keep trying to drift and powerslide my way through streets (like I do in a NFS game) but the cars instead have a Velco-like grip on the road. Also, flying helicopters isn't exactly as fun since I keep expecting it to have the fluid maneuverability of a Viper or Little Bird from Battlefield 3. Couldn't do any cool flying tricks, with both keyboard+mouse and the 360 Controller.

The next game should have a more fun driving/flying mechanic. GTA IV couldn't quite get it right either with cars tending to spiral out of control at any decent speed. I hope the next part (if/whenever it comes out) addresses that.

Also, in spite of the over-the-top outlandish and fun missions, the great amount of customization and what not, the game just doesn't stick with you. I have no memory of what the plot was (unlike the GTA games where I still remember the general plot, twists and various subplots). I can't really quote any lines of dialogue either. But I do remember laughing a lot and thinking the game had a good sense of humor.

I still think it's a fantastic game, especially at its current low price. But the series needs more substance and character.

supremor

Dec 2, 2010
I actually quite liked how much grips the cars had in SR3 but then again I'm not a huge driving game fan. The cars in GTA IV handled like ass if you ask me.

Oct 4, 2004
I actually quite liked how much grips the cars had in SR3 but then again I'm not a huge driving game fan. The cars in GTA IV handled like ass if you ask me.

It's good in the sense that you aren't going to go in a direction you don't intend to. Which makes sense for a game where you are also doing a lot of aiming/shooting while driving. While doing missions, that's a good thing. But for simply driving around and raising hell, it just isn't that much fun.

I liked the driving model in GTA: San Andreas. Not realistic of course, but extremely fun for just driving across the map, catching every ramp and running off every cliff along the way. Or maybe I just remember it that way now.