Saints Row The Third PC Performance

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

XiandreX

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2011
Oh. One of THOSE guys.

Please. I like mouse and KB, but the 360 pad is GREAT for SR3 - the main distinction with mouse/KB in years past was the ability to turn faster on a dime via the mouse. During the era where quake was king (I played QW - Q2 - Q3 a ton) it was unfathomable to play a FPS with a controller precisely because of that, but things have changed. That is no longer an advantage since you can essentially DO THAT with a 360 pad now. You can essentially turn on a dime and aim precisely with the 360 pad now - and you can control the sensitivity of your turns so that they're as fast or as slow as you like. In the past, you had limited turn speed so pads (with the PS2 for example) were sluggish with FPS games. That is no longer the case. You can basically pick whichever one is more comfortable and be fine, there is no advantage or disadvantage to either. It isn't 1999 anymore.

The 360 pad is just fine for FPS games.

I will agree with most of what you say Blackened... however with practice a Good *(not average gamer) will out perform on a keyboard/mouse compared to controller. I personally use a 360 controller for most games nowadays on my pc but from playing Quake 3 CTF back in the day, nothing would compare to a good keyboard/mouse and I mean nothing! :p

justoh

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2013
That's a nice ad hominem. And it does nothing to change the fact that you admitted to kb/m not being ideal for a shooter, which last I checked, is not a fighting game or platformer.

Sounds like you've run out of "logical" reasons why you would go after someone for playing a game differently than you. And how is the idea of gaming the way you want fatuous? OP didn't say they were gaming competitively, nor did they even really bring up the kb/m vs. controller debate. They were just wanting to know if anyone else had observed some minor differences in the feel of the game across platforms.

You were the one who came in (like an idiot) and started your tangent attack. /s or no, it was stupid and unwarranted.

Being "new" doesn't excuse stupidity.

Just keep on practicing. You will get used to it eventually, and then wonder how you ever got by without a mouse!

chalmers

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2008
Just keep on practicing. You will get used to it eventually, and then wonder how you ever got by without a mouse!

You've moved to stage 3 of trolling. First you were defiant, then you made the new guy excuse, now you're back to being argumentative just for the heck of it. What's next?

Nvidiaguy07

Platinum Member
Feb 22, 2008
What is the issue you were having? I did notice it seems the engine sounds arent working right on PC version too. When I hit the throttle I dont hear a nice "vroom" from any of the cars. Ill have to pull up the 360 version again and test some more.
Same thing, either no sound or sound messed up when driving. Some cars make some noise, others make none (muscle cars :() Sometimes when a car does make noise, the gears will just keep changing forever (not sure if this is a bug or meant to be like this. Sometimes ill pull the ebrake and the screech noise will play until the car comes to a full stop, or i pause the game. I also had some other issues with just some random sounds being way too soft to hear.

From reading posts, I thought the problem might be it outputting the wrong sound channels, so i was thinking setting the game to "mono" would solve it, but there is no setting for that, and after seeing some things happen, i doubt it would help. I think its just a bug and im not sure why it affects some machines. Im pretty sure when I play in the living room its fine, vs. my room which has the issues. Not a huge deal anyway.

As for the whole dumb kb+m vs. gamepad argument, im glad to see most of the dinosaurs have died off that used to trash you for preferring a gamepad for a laid back experience. I remember posting here complaining that Mass Effect has no controller support whatsoever, and getting trashed for even considering it. Nice to see people coming around. I like to use kb+m for some games, but most of the times I just like to sit back and relax and play (usually on the couch), and the keyboard is just a pain in the ass. Really upset that Mass Effect doesn't support it considering all they had to do was port the console controls over. A game like that that your going to spend hundred of hours playing, and for me Id be playing for the story and exploring the universe, I could never play on a kb+m. Screw them for not adding it in.

Ferzerp

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Certain games lend themselves to a joystick or other controller.

Let's see "mr kb+m only" try a flight sim without a joystick. Games like GTA, Saint's Row, and pretty much all the 3rd person shooters, or anything with driving need a joystick. You can't do analog controls with a keyboard, and picking up a controller every time you get in a car is silly. FPS games need a mouse. Aim-assisting 3rd person console ports just lend themselves to controllers.