Saints Row 3 keeps crashing. Where to start troubleshooting this?

alfa147x

Lifer
Jul 14, 2005
Saints Row 3 keeps crashing. Where to start troubleshooting this? I really enjoyed the first 15 minutes of gameplay and I'm hooked but the game keeps crashing.

Code:
GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UP5 TH LGA 1155 Intel Z77 Thunderbolt Motherboard 
Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) HD 4000 Graphics
Asus GTX670 Top (GTX670-DC2T-2GD5)
Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler
CORSAIR Vengeance LP 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600
120 GB OWC Mercury Electra 3G SSD MacSales
Seasonic SeaSonic X760 -760W 80Plus Gold Certified ATX12V PSU
SilverStone RAVEN Series RV03

I had Windows 7 64 bit installed and all the latest drivers but it crashed then I wiped that install and installed Win7 32 bit and all the latest drivers and it still crashes. I can play GTA 4 and Diablo 3 perfectly fine and I logged the temps during the crash and I don't see anything abnormal. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Alfa

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Is your gpu overclocked? Even a factory OC can cause some games to crash. Can't imagine it's Windows as I play on 7 64 bit just fine.

JamesV

Platinum Member
Jul 9, 2011
The place you should start your troubleshooting is the Windows logs.

Start->Right click on Computer->Manage

Event Viewer on left->Windows Logs

Search for entries in Application and other log entries for errors that occur when you crash. Start up SR3 again, get it to crash, and there should be an entry in those logs saying what the faulting module is (or another isssue).

alfa147x

Lifer
Jul 14, 2005
The place you should start your troubleshooting is the Windows logs.

Start->Right click on Computer->Manage

Event Viewer on left->Windows Logs

Search for entries in Application and other log entries for errors that occur when you crash. Start up SR3 again, get it to crash, and there should be an entry in those logs saying what the faulting module is (or another isssue).

Ah. I'm an OS X guy and I never though of looking for a log. I feel stupid. As a hackintosher I use Console a lot to view crash logs.

I'll post back. Thanks

Is your gpu overclocked? Even a factory OC can cause some games to crash. Can't imagine it's Windows as I play on 7 64 bit just fine.

Nope everything is stock even the CPU.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
I have Win 7 64 bit, i5-2500, GTX 680. 8 GB RAM. Everything is stock speed.

I've played about 30 hours running the DX 11 version without any crashes. This is the Steam version.

So: it's at least possible that you can get it to work. Sorry I can't offer any tips, I didn't do anything to get it to work, just did the regular Steam install.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
same. I'd update graphics card drivers to start and make sure you don't have any corrupt files in the install through steam verification. Dig through logs to see what's causing the crash. Maybe bad ram, maybe power supply suddenly getting spiked and it couldn't handle it... could be a lot of things.

power_hour

Oct 16, 2010
Couple of things. Trying manually setting the VGA card to 100% then run the game. If game crashes in same spot then either Memory or fragmented or bad files. Check the disk's health.

But to be honest, more times than not, memory is the culprit. But don't let that sway you from proper troubleshooting steps.