saints row 3 audio issues

Nvidiaguy07

Platinum Member
Feb 22, 2008
Anyone else have problems with the sound in SR3? For me, a lot of problems come with the cars - they wont make any sound at all, or you'll hear the tires screeching forever until you pause the game or get out of the car. Also ive had issues with just certain sounds being really soft.

Ive searched around and I know others have posted the same issue, but no solutions.

Is there anyway to change the sound to mono? Ive heard the problem might be trying to output at 5.1 or 7.1 and something gets messed up along the way. If i could just somehow set it to mono i think it would solve my problems. I dont see any in game option to do this - so im thinking maybe a file needs to be edited somewhere to get this to work. I remember you had to alter the config file for borderlands to turn on v-sync - so maybe the same applies here?

Thanks in advance

Nvidiaguy07

Platinum Member
Feb 22, 2008
Didn't have any issues. What is your Audio source, Onboard, Card, etc?

using onboard sound. My speakers are actually plugged in to my logitech G110 keyboard actually - since the computer is in another room, and wouldnt reach. Is this still considered onboard? In my sound properties it lists it as: 4- USB PnP Sound Device, and it is set to default.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
using onboard sound. My speakers are actually plugged in to my logitech G110 keyboard actually - since the computer is in another room, and wouldnt reach. Is this still considered onboard? In my sound properties it lists it as: 4- USB PnP Sound Device, and it is set to default.

That would be USB, is there an App to change setting for it? There should be something. Possibly accessible through the windows volume control panel.

Nvidiaguy07

Platinum Member
Feb 22, 2008
That would be USB, is there an App to change setting for it? There should be something. Possibly accessible through the windows volume control panel.

I have "Logitech gaming software" installed - but thats just to customize my keyboard and mouse. I dont see any option for configuring sound afaik.

What should I be looking for? A setting to switch that usb device to mono? I think that might work - but im still concerned the game is set on 5.1 or 7.1, and it might still try to send sound out of speakers that arent there (like its doing now i think).

I looked through as many saints row folders as I could, but i didnt see any configuration for audio anywhere.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Ok, your speakers are receiving a signal through USB?

If that is accurate, then check Logitechs website for a Utility for your speakers. If that is incorrect, I'm out of ideas.

Except for : Open Control Panel, then open Sound. Click on the Audio device that is set as Default(has Green check mark), then click on Properties. It should give you speaker setup options. Choose 2.1 or Stereo if they are available.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
If your speakers are plugged into your keyboard, then you're not using onboard sound; rather, you're using Logitech's sound processor built into the keyboard, travelling over USB.

I would Right-Click on the Windows volume icon in the taskbar, click on "Playback Devices", and then Right-Click > Disable every playback device you see except for the main one you're currently using. See if that works.

Of course, with Steam games, you should always try verifying integrity of the game files before doing anything else. Do that if you haven't already.