Sailboat stadium in Florida

Xstatic1

Diamond Member
Sep 20, 2006
whatd'ya all think about this 35,000-seat $450M stadium for the Tampa Bay Devil Rays opening in 2012. the sailboat covering is kinda appropriate considering it's in Florida. :laugh:

Don't adjust your monitors, people. Pictured above is a rendering of the Rays' proposed $450 million waterfront stadium in St. Petersburg. The photos of this plan have been available for some time, but the team just released this image yesterday, which features the park with the roof in the "closed" position. As you can tell from the photo, translucence is king. And after seeing those Lindsay Lohan photos in New York magazine, I have to ask: Who doesn't love translucence?

The roof is supposed to resemble a sail and I suppose it does. But it also kinda looks like a kids' pillow fort. Not to mention that the long post in the outfield originally reminded me of Montreal's Olympic Stadium.

Still, I really like this plan, which could be completed as early as 2012. It'll be unique to the Bay area and it's obvious that anything has to be better than Tropicana Field. The sad truth is that until the Rays and Marlins get new stadiums, I'll never attempt to hit every ballpark in the bigs.

This design would make the Florida swing worth it, though.

Now if only they could figure out how to equip it with A/C.

pic

Cuda1447

Lifer
Jul 26, 2002
Agh, as a Tampa resident I can honestly say they don't deserve it. Get a competitive team with owners that care more about the team than the bottom line, maybe then we can talk about getting you a new stadium.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
Originally posted by: Cuda1447
Agh, as a Tampa resident I can honestly say they don't deserve it. Get a competitive team with owners that care more about the team than the bottom line, maybe then we can talk about getting you a new stadium.

That was my feeling about the Seahawks new stadium but they really earned it afterwards.

Stunt

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2002
Looks kind of like the Montreal Olympic Stadium. link
The tower raises a tent like roof to create an open stadium. This stadium is the embarassment of Montreal (see below).
Stadium Financing

Despite initial projections in 1970 that the stadium would cost only C$134 million to construct, strikes and construction delays served to escalate these costs. By the time the stadium opened (in an unfinished form) the total costs had risen to C$264 million.

The Quebec government introduced a special tobacco tax in May 1976 to help recoup its investment. By 2006 the amount contributed to the Olympic Installations Board accounted for 8% of the tax revenue earned from cigarette sales. The 1976 special tobacco tax act stipulated that once the stadium was paid off, ownership of the facility would be returned back to the City of Montreal.

In December 2006 the stadium's costs were finally paid in full [1]. The total expenditure (including repairs, renovations, construction, interest, and inflation) amounted to C$1.61 billion. Despite initial plans to complete payment in October 2006, an indoor smoking ban introduced in May 2006 curtailed the revenue gathered by the tobacco tax

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I'm astonished that the Devil Ray's will still be in Tampa in 2012.

Nice looking stadium, though.

bigal40

Sep 7, 2004
I voted that it looks cool but the devil rays really don;'t need a new stadium.

Actually let me rephrase that. They do need a new stadium but it needs to be in Tampa.

Building a stadium in St. Pete is like building it on an island, and ostracizes 75% of the areas residents.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
wow, that's pretty awesome. that'd actually be worth going to see a game in.

erikistired

Diamond Member
Sep 27, 2000
they aren't the devil rays anymore. just the rays. team is being totally revamped, might actually make something out of them.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: Mwilding
What are the odds of it survivnig a hurricane? Are they above zero? :confused:

I figure they would remove the sails during bad weather to keep them from being damaged by high winds.

njswift10141980

Feb 12, 2005
Not bad but I have a problem with the 35,000 seat capacity, do they really think they'll get get that many fans for any of there games.

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Rubycon
Originally posted by: anxi80
"wow, its a schooner!"

Nice ketch.

:laugh:

On the surface, I see a whole raft of potential problems with this design. I see the new tack they took on the style element. I even think it might take the architectural world by storm. However, I think that the designers just don't get the drift of weatherproof engineering. If they can conquer those concerns, then it will be full steam ahead and smooth sailing all the way.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: njswift10141980
Not bad but I have a problem with the 35,000 seat capacity, do they really think they'll get get that many fans for any of there games.

at first people will go just to see the new stadium. that is when the rays need to be good, to hook people who hadn't been before. and i bet hunsicker can make them competitive, though probably not division leading (boston and NY are just too much to beat year in and year out), with a stingy owner. he's got a lot of experience with that.

of course, if it's anything like miami, people won't come even if they're winning world series. though, how much of miami's lack of fan base has to do with the crappy stadium they're in, i don't know. i guess maybe we'll find out soon enough.