SageTV going open source for all platforms soon.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61987
Greetings SageTV users,

I know it's been awhile since I've had much to say to you all...but I've got some great news for the SageTV community. Google, in all its infinite wisdom (mmmm, kool-aid), has agreed to open source the SageTV platform!

This isn't happening today...but will be happening in the near future (i.e. months, not years). As we move closer to this, I'll update with more details that relate to this. I just wanted to give everyone a heads up that this was going to happen. I'm looking forward to see what the community can do with SageTV once it is fully open

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004

I had bought a SageTV license about 6 or 7 years ago for VISTA-64 platform. IT's as least as good as WMC, although there was some issue about using the WMC remote, and you could buy a remote that worked with Sage.

But it didn't last very long for me, and I got MC all tweaked and configured, which I've been using ever since.

It there was ever a conflict between Sage and MC windows services or processes, I think Sage got it ironed out.

So does this mean I won't have to pay for a new SageTV license? Just thought I'd ask.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
It looks like that is the case, yes.

I like NPVR for use with HD Prime, that has always been free, or MythTV would work, but, for the copy protected channels, then, on windows at least, your only choice is MC.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Well, I am really glad that Google is finally doing something with SageTV. I still use it as my recording software (I use a HD-PVR+STB+USB-UIRT). It works really well in that sense, especially since it is essentially show centric (i.e. I ask it to record "The Simpsons" and it doesn't matter what channel or time it is on, it will find and record it as long as it hasn't already recorded that episode (or I didn't tell it to only record new episodes, or something like that)).

I don't use it anymore as my main interface/playback software (I use MediaPortal for that).

Last edited:

weeber

Oct 10, 1999
Very exciting news. SageTV is still my HTPC software of choice. I'm hopeful for some significant updates/upgrades.