Safe to use "Disk Cleanup" on an SSD?

jthoov

Sep 24, 2010
Hey there;

I read the sticky SSD thread but I didn't see it mention anything about using the Microsoft Disk Clean Up function.

Is it safe to use it on an SSD?

My Windows is installed on it and I know that sometimes when I update the windows, it creates System Restore points which eat up a lot of space.

Will it be safe to delete them using Disk Clean up for my SSD??

Thank you~

razel

Platinum Member
May 14, 2002
Yes and if you don't use system restore often, turn that off too, especially if you own an Intel SSD, they recommend it be off for their SSDs.

However that doesn't mean that you should never use it. I turn on and use system restore to test new drivers and trial software, then after I'm done, clean it all up and turn it back off.

wpcoe

Nov 13, 2007
I personally have found System Restore to occasionally save my @ss when something gets messed up -- and am too lazy to keep turning it on and off -- so I set it to use 3% of my SSD (about 1.79GB). It seems to be an acceptable compromise. By default, Windows sets a much larger % of disk space, but then you just end up with lots of old restore points.

capeconsultant

Aug 10, 2005
I back up. Never use system restore. tried a few times and it did not work, so I figured I would save the CPU cycles for something else :)

FishAk

Jun 13, 2010
I like system Restore, and it has worked great for me. The trouble is that the system makes it's own restore points, and I have no way of removing points I don't want/need, and keeping only the ones I want. I have found that it's much more reliable to use a set of images for my restore points, per se. The images take more room than a Windows Restore point, but I store them on HDDs, and have complete control over which get deleted, and which ones I keep.