Safe DDR Voltage

BaboonGuy

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2002
I'm thinking about bumping up my DDR voltage up to 2.9V from 2.8V. I'm using 2x512 sticks of HyperX 3200 and want to get to 6-2-2-2 timings. My CPU temps under max load is about 60 and System temps are 36. Is this going to be safe? Has anyone ever fried their mem before?

Thanks.

stevejst

Banned
May 12, 2002
Is this going to be safe?

No. Not without heatsinks and no in the long rung. HyperX' heatsinks are colorfull but not very impressive from the perspective of cooling. But you never know. If the memory is cheap you can gamble.

Is this going to be safe? Has anyone ever fried their mem before?

Yes, many people but the most cases are related to power surges/spikes and low quality power supplies/motherboards. It happens to overclockers as well. Some memory can be set on more than 3V but for the most your safe cut off is right there - 2.9V.

By the way your CPU temp is too high. Since the temperature measurements could be 10-15C inaccurate it is not impossible that your CPU's actual working load is at 70C or higher. In a long run that could kill it.

MatthewF01

Mar 1, 2002
I asked that MemoryGuy or whatever his name is on the Corsair forums about their warranty and how above 2.8v will void the warranty, what I clarified with him is that 2.8v is still under the warranty limit, but if i EXCEED that then its voided, so 2.8v is still within the coverage zone.
However, if I ran 2.9v through it, would they know? Is there some sort of fuse or something on the stick that'll blow if more than 2.8v runs through it, then when they receive an RMA they can just check that little circuit? Or would they just ask or something?

Soulkeeper

Diamond Member
Nov 23, 2001
they wouldn't know but it would come down to honesty

i second the mention of yur cpu temp being too high