"sad truth" about Trump voters: "They don’t want health care if you get it also"

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002

“The View” co-host pointed to a New York Times column written by University of Florida professor Darlena Cunha, who spoke with some of her neighbors about their support for the scandal-plagued Republican president.

One man who struck up a conversation with the writer apologized right away for his poor dental health, which he couldn’t afford to improve, but said he’d rather do without health care than pay for someone he didn’t think deserved it.

“I’d rather take care of my own self with tape than be stuck in a system where I pay for everyone else,” the man told Cunha.

Behar was flabbergasted by the man’s attitude, but said his view was sadly common among Trump supporters.

“You should really read this,” Behar said, “because a lot of them need dental work and they need medical care, but they will vote for Trump.”

LOLOLOLOL I never though about it but maybe Medicare for all who want it is starting to make sense. Fuck the Trumpanzees, they can pay 500% more when they want to pay!

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Just checked the RNC website, Florida man isn't listed as the spokesmen for the Republican party. Is he a new hire?
He doesn`t need to be listed as a spokesperson! I believe that he is allowed to have a personal opinion that is called 'Freedom of Speech!"
I am sure YOU could go back through other threads and find that it is true what Indus posted!

The days of Republicans caring about anybody else other than themselves is long gone! In fact Republican talk a good game!

Last edited:

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
He doesn`t need to be listed as a spokesperson! I believe that he is allowed to mhave a personal opinion that is called 'Freedom of Speech!"
I am sure YOU could go back through other threads and find that it is true what Indus posted!

The days of Republicans caring about anybody else other than themselves is long gone! In fact Republican talk a good game!
He can have whatever opinion he wants, why is it news? What's the point?
Are we going to start a thread about every dumb opinion expressed in the US? There's a crazy who lives under a bridge not far from me, should I interview him and post his opinions here?

Cogman

Lifer
Sep 19, 2000
Just checked the RNC website, Florida man isn't listed as the spokesmen for the Republican party. Is he a new hire?

Oh lets read what the RNC page has to say about healthcare

ObamaCare is a disaster. Our Party is committed to repealing and replacing it with a health care system that puts patients and their doctors in charge of their health care decisions. Government regulations have largely been responsible for the high costs associated with health care. We want to roll back regulations that have prevented market competition, allow patients to buy insurance across state lines, and shut the revolving door of lawsuits that have driven up the price of drugs. While a safety net should exist for those Americans that desperately need it, a free market system is the best solution to providing the greatest possible care to the most amount of Americans.

> We want to roll back regulations that have prevented market competition

Oh, what regulations are those? You mean the ones around drug safety? Yeah, sounds like a good idea, let's cut back on drug companies having to prove that drugs are safe and effective.

> allow patients to buy insurance across state lines

Hurray, I can buy insurance from Utah that doesn't work with my local hospitals. Yeah, that's great. Hmm, maybe if something made it so insurance companies had to cover all conditions from any hospital... no no, that goes to far, that would be a nasty bad "regulation".

> shut the revolving door of lawsuits that have driven up the price of drugs

Yeah, screw you poor people. Obviously opioids cost so much because of all those greedy dead people and their families putting out frivolous law suits because "You're drug is too addictive and you knew about it" and "You sent enough drugs to a state to kill every person in that state 4 times over". Yup, obviously we need LESS of those lawsuits.

> While a safety net should exist for those Americans that desperately need it

good

> a free market system is the best solution to providing the greatest possible care to the most amount of Americans.

Umm.. ok? So "While we recognize the need for a safety net, fuck you". Awesome. You can't have a "free market system" with a safety net, at that point it is not a "free market system".

So, yeah, looks like the official RNC platform from the RNC website is "We don't want healthcare if people we don't want to have it get it as well." I mean, that is basically exactly what that last sentence says. Poor people don't deserve health care (or even legal action when maimed by a doctor or pharmaceutical company)

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
It's been the case since GOP adopted the Southern Strategy:
You start out in 1954 by saying, “N!gger, n!gger, n!gger.” By 1968 you can’t say “n!gger”—that hurts you, backfires. So you say stuff like, uh, forced busing, states’ rights, and all that stuff, and you’re getting so abstract. Now, you’re talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you’re talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is, blacks get hurt worse than whites.… “We want to cut this,” is much more abstract than even the busing thing, uh, and a hell of a lot more abstract than “N!gger, n!gger.”

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
He can have whatever opinion he wants, why is it news? What's the point?
Are we going to start a thread about every dumb opinion expressed in the US? There's a crazy who lives under a bridge not far from me, should I interview him and post his opinions here?

Mighty touchy about your fellow conservatives, huh? Follow the link to the original NYT article to get the full story. Trump voters get all self righteous about helping the unworthy, even when they've been deemed unworthy by the Job Creator system they support.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I think maybe we should have party health care. If you are a Republican you get whatever healthcare the Republicans want you to have but you don't get to vote in elections. Your vote will automatically be electronically cast for a straight Republican ticket. Alternatively, anybody who wants Democratic socialized medicine wll pay accordingly with the stipulation that they also are locked in to an automatic straight ticket Democratic Party vote. It wouldn't be long, I'd imagine, when most people would have become Democrats. Socialized medicine looks pretty good compared to free market cremation.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
This man has been the real spokesman for the Republican Party for many years now.
Bundesarchiv_Bild_146-1968-101-20A%2C_Joseph_Goebbels.jpg

DarthKyrie

Golden Member
Jul 11, 2016
This man has been the real spokesman for the Republican Party for many years now.
Bundesarchiv_Bild_146-1968-101-20A%2C_Joseph_Goebbels.jpg

If anyone needs help with who this man is I will give you a few hints. He's a doctor. His initials are J.G. He also was a Minister of Propaganda, a position that directly led to his death as well as the deaths of his wife and children.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
It is a bit off putting to think that someone doesn't understand how insurance works in general. The only way to only pay for yourself is to literally just pay for yourself out of pocket or just don't go. Meh, I'd rather my fellow country person's go get their medical care, or dental care when needed.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Oh lets read what the RNC page has to say about healthcare

> We want to roll back regulations that have prevented market competition

Oh, what regulations are those? You mean the ones around drug safety? Yeah, sounds like a good idea, let's cut back on drug companies having to prove that drugs are safe and effective.

> allow patients to buy insurance across state lines

Hurray, I can buy insurance from Utah that doesn't work with my local hospitals. Yeah, that's great. Hmm, maybe if something made it so insurance companies had to cover all conditions from any hospital... no no, that goes to far, that would be a nasty bad "regulation".

> shut the revolving door of lawsuits that have driven up the price of drugs

Yeah, screw you poor people. Obviously opioids cost so much because of all those greedy dead people and their families putting out frivolous law suits because "You're drug is too addictive and you knew about it" and "You sent enough drugs to a state to kill every person in that state 4 times over". Yup, obviously we need LESS of those lawsuits.

> While a safety net should exist for those Americans that desperately need it

good

> a free market system is the best solution to providing the greatest possible care to the most amount of Americans.

Umm.. ok? So "While we recognize the need for a safety net, fuck you". Awesome. You can't have a "free market system" with a safety net, at that point it is not a "free market system".

So, yeah, looks like the official RNC platform from the RNC website is "We don't want healthcare if people we don't want to have it get it as well." I mean, that is basically exactly what that last sentence says. Poor people don't deserve health care (or even legal action when maimed by a doctor or pharmaceutical company)

Exactly. If anything the RNC position is worse. The people in this article are at least up front about not wanting poor or unlucky people to have health insurance. The RNC position is to have the same goal but to just lie relentlessly about it.

Just look at 2017 - an endless parade of bills that would take health care away from millions in order to give tax breaks to rich people. That is the actual Republican position.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Hard working Americans that wants to enjoy socialized healthcare : Move to scandinavia :) We'd love to have you :).

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
It is a bit off putting to think that someone doesn't understand how insurance works in general. The only way to only pay for yourself is to literally just pay for yourself out of pocket or just don't go. Meh, I'd rather my fellow country person's go get their medical care, or dental care when needed.
Oh come on. When was the last time Republicans attempted to educate their people with the truth? The only one I can recall is Justin Amash and that caused him to leave the party.

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
Hard working Americans that wants to enjoy socialized healthcare : Move to scandinavia :) We'd love to have you :).

Why my great grandparents left that area and moved the family to Wisconsin I'll never know, but we're kind of stuck here now :)

Reactions: cytg111

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009

LOLOLOLOL I never though about it but maybe Medicare for all who want it is starting to make sense. Fuck the Trumpanzees, they can pay 500% more when they want to pay!
I don't think a mix of Medicare and private insurance will work. The benefits of M4A primarily come from covering everyone. We see problems today resulting from the competition between Medicare and private insurance, not the least of which is: why would doctors choose to accept Medicare when private insurance companies are willing to throw gobs of extra money their way?

The only "mix" I think would work would be M4A and people are free to purchase additional insurance if they want.

Cogman

Lifer
Sep 19, 2000
I don't think a mix of Medicare and private insurance will work. The benefits of M4A primarily come from covering everyone. We see problems today resulting from the competition between Medicare and private insurance, not the least of which is: why would doctors choose to accept Medicare when private insurance companies are willing to throw gobs of extra money their way?

The only "mix" I think would work would be M4A and people are free to purchase additional insurance if they want.

Totally agree. It is something I worry about in the primaries. So many of the candidates are pushing for simply adding a public option (I'm guessing something you'd buy into). But I just think that is a path to failure. That system would always be chronically underfunded since the only people that would transfer to it are people that don't have insurance anyways. In order to make it affordable, they'd either need to introduce new taxes, or raise the premium to unaffordable levels.

And for what? It wouldn't fix the current healthcare system because this new insurance wouldn't have the teeth that M4A has. My only guess to as of why they are pushing for this so hard is that basically all the other candidates have been bought by the medical industry. Nobody "loves" their private insurance.

Reactions: dank69