Sad news to both ATI/Nvidia

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Janooo

Golden Member
Aug 22, 2005
To paraphrase 2001, "My god, it's full of bullshit!"

4770s have been around all year, and not in very short supply. If you want a 57xx card you can get one without much fanfare or gouging. NV's 210, 220 and 240 series are certainly not facing any shortages.

I have got to stop giving Fudo pageviews for his ill-informed blog.
I just have to laugh. All the Fuad's propaganda. :D

exar333

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2004
Is there a reason GPUs skipped the 45nm process? That node seemed pretty reliable on the CPU front, and didn't have the same issues are 40nm. At this point, NV might be better skipping 40nm altogether and moving to 32nm. :D

GaiaHunter

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2008
Is there a reason GPUs skipped the 45nm process? That node seemed pretty reliable on the CPU front, and didn't have the same issues are 40nm. At this point, NV might be better skipping 40nm altogether and moving to 32nm. :D

It is the same process as 45nm, just the half-node.

And those CPUs were made on Intel fabs and AMD fabs (now GF) not exactly on TSMC.

Excluding Intel and GF, who the heck has a better process than TSMC?

Last edited:

Fox5

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005

And those CPUs were made on Intel fabs and AMD fabs (now GF) not exactly on TSMC.

IBM, and perhaps other members of the IBM alliance?

yh125d

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2006
Only you could possibly still find praise for nvidia in a thread like this. I never cease to be amazed by your stead fast stance by the nvidia god.

I actually agree with him here (usually I see differently). I think TSMCs failures have helped nv make the decision to (since they were already going to be late anyhow,) go ahead and be a bit later even, but have decent availability and lower costs when they do get around to it, vs. shoving a somewhat half-arsed part out the door with next to no availability just to get fermi "released", which was their other option

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999

Better in what sense?

xtor density, leakage, switching delay, IDDQ, TDDB lifetime/reliability, dynamic power consumption, yields, cycle-time, per-wafer production cost, design-rule restrictions?

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
I actually agree with him here (usually I see differently). I think TSMCs failures have helped nv make the decision to (since they were already going to be late anyhow,) go ahead and be a bit later even, but have decent availability and lower costs when they do get around to it, vs. shoving a somewhat half-arsed part out the door with next to no availability just to get fermi "released", which was their other option

To be honest, I feel nV should have released a very limited run of fermi cards to artificially create this demand ATI has. Then, just not produce cards until they can be happy with full supply. People would be going crazy for the cards and either have to pay for second hand parts or wait. This "demand" is nothing more than something created by ATI not releasing vast amounts of cards. Just take a loot at the inflation of prices... I mean, seriously, what is the need for these cards? nV should have jumped on this hype ship.

lothar

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2000
Why is TSMC's 40nm yield problem good news?

It's good news because I get to enjoy my 4890 I should be recieving this weekend(or next week) a little while longer. ;)
If the 5850 were to suddenly drop to $200 in a month or two, it would make me feel like I wasted $50 for nothing.

It's good news for all 4890 owners, especially those who recently just purchased one. :)

Last edited:

Qbah

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2005
How is it good news to anyone? Would your HD4890 become magically slower? Worse? Just because a new generation started shipping in volumes?

The only people happy about it are green - their biggest competitor can't ship their cards in high volume - cards that destroy anything nVidia has. The consumer not only is hard pressed to find any cards in stock, but once they do, the cards are heavily overpriced... Woohoo... not.

lothar

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2000
How is it good news to anyone? Would your HD4890 become magically slower? Worse? Just because a new generation started shipping in volumes?

The only people happy about it are green - their biggest competitor can't ship their cards in high volume - cards that destroy anything nVidia has. The consumer not only is hard pressed to find any cards in stock, but once they do, the cards are heavily overpriced... Woohoo... not.

I would happily pay $200 for a 5850 if it was available and I hadn't bought a 4890.
If the 5850 were to drop to $200 in 2 months, I would cry.

Paying for a product only to find out it's overtaken by a much better product at the same price a month later is not a dream, it's a nightmare.

Think about it this way.
You're a customer who bought an '07 Accord in June/July. Honda releases an '08 Next Gen Accord a month or two later after you bought one for the same price with more features and 10-30% better performance(whether acceleration, gas mileage, or whatever metric you wanna use).

jvroig

Platinum Member
Nov 4, 2009
I understand what you mean lothar, but I find it hard to agree since it is a bit selfish, especially when you think about it in a different context: because you bought a 4890, you are now happy that everyone else can also expect to not get any better cards.

Of course, I can only say that as it is because I wasn't the one who bought a 4890, so don't take it as me lecturing you about "goodness" or whatever. I wouldn't even want to.

I only asked how it was good news because I thought there was something about the delays that could be a win that you noticed.I have a pretty weak card (8600GTS), and am waiting for 56xx to be released and see if they will be priced low enough to consider versus an el cheapo 4670. But it doesn't seem to me like these parts will be greatly affected, as yields for them will no doubt be a lot higher despite the ongoing TSMC issues.

Last edited:

lothar

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2000
I understand what you mean lothar, but I find it hard to agree since it is a bit selfish, especially when you think about it in a different context: because you bought a 4890, you are now happy that everyone else can also expect to not get any better cards.

Of course, I can only say that as it is because I wasn't the one who bought a 4890, so don't take it as me lecturing you about "goodness" or whatever. I wouldn't even want to.

I only asked how it was good news because I thought there was something about the delays that could be a win.I have a pretty weak card (8600GTS), and am waiting for 56xx to be released and see if they will be priced low enough to consider versus an el cheapo 4670. But it doesn't seem to me like these parts will be greatly affected, as yields for them will no doubt be a lot higher despite the ongoing TSMC issues.

I bought a 4890 mainly also because I couldn't find the 5850 in stock anywhere.
Upgrading from an X800Pro vivo modded to X850XT PE BIOS/speeds here.

I couldn't play the waiting game. I'm upgrading my entire P4 Northwood system for the first time since 2003 to an i7 860 Quad core.

I apologize if what I said earlier makes people think I'm selfish.
I only used it to make me feel better about my own purchase/investment which I hope will be useful for a long while...Didn't mean to harm/hurt future potential 5xxx and Fermi owners.